Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August 2015 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so the winter courses -- do they go further into detail on measuring snow? guess i dont know how much more focused it could get beyond the basic course... 

Winter Storm (0-3 per year in our forecast area)

Training in the Winter Storm class is a good overview of winter weather threats in this area. It is intended for everyone. Basics I is a prerequisite for this class. The Winter Storm class includes: 

• Winter hazards in this region
  • Winter preparation and safety
  • Winter normals and Extremes
  • What makes winter storms
  • NWS forecasts and products
  • Role of Skywarn and reporting

All:

LWX has posted their fall SKYWARN roster.  Several Winter classes have been added (BASIC required).  Looks like all the classes are in the evening, with the exception of one daytime class being held in Montgomery County.

LINK

Kind of bummed that the closest class is 2.5 hours from here. Would be nice to get a refresher on some of the things and meet the NWS peeps. But, alas....

Oh, well. At least it was a nice, cloudy, drizzly 74° today. :lol: 

Nice long walk in the cool 74* breeze with the pooch. Loved it. Didnt get much rain today but no biggie.

All I could think of was football and leaves starting to change. I'm not ready for summer to end because it's been a fun one but once the first big Canadian front clears in Sept I'm going to really look forward to October.

After a dry spell in early Aug ended up with 1.11 yesterday, should eliminate the 'crunchy' that was starting to show up.

In another ob, have several maples actually starting to turn? Seems a bit early.

There is some kind of maple just up the road from me that is already turning.... and does so about this time every year.  Very strange tree.  Someone in the winter thread talked about trees dropping leaves already.  I saw a couple yesterday on my evening bike ride.  With the cloudy skies, (relatively) comfortable temps, and (east) breeze, the leaves floating down in the wind made it seem just like fall.  Hasn't been all that dry here (by our standards), so not sure why the trees would be stressed.  I did notice the first reds in my burning bushes though.  It's coming.  We just have to get through this next above-normal spell.

0.26" last night. Looked like it would have been more, but no complaints. Hopefully we get some downpours later.

Maples turning early means a blockbuster winter.

For New England.

I'm pulling for a mild winter this season. I'll take a couple snowstorms tops. I have absolutely zero interest in another frigid winter.

Archived