joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2015 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am getting some awesome "made you jump" thunder right now but not much in terms of rain. I haven't looked at the backyard gauge since I'm sitting on the front porch enjoying things, but certainly less than .25" so far.

ETA. When I say enjoying "things'" what I really mean is a Leiny Oktoberfest I found in the garage fridge from last year.

Really? That's weird. It was 85F before the storm here, and has been 77-79F since it stopped. It managed to drop to 74F during the heaviest rain.

Maybe not exactly, but it felt that way with the higher dews.  Temp IMBY got up to 89, dropped quickly during the rain and then got back up to 86 after.  Frederick hit 91 after the rain according to the radio.  

Not here. June 4.67, July 6.29. It WAS dry for first 10 days in Aug (0.06) until yesterdays 1.11 fell.

Trees can still be stressed this time of year. Dry isn't the only stress. I think it's pretty normal to see trees drop leaves this time of year. Seems like you always see it.

i'm beginning to forget what a good thunderstorm is.  when i said this was a tame summer over a month ago, i didn't think it would describe the entire summer, but at this rate it may very well be the case.  it's been a while since i remember such a meteorologically boring summer.  maybe we were due.

Can someone explain the physical process that allows giant raindrops? I was driving home today and drove through a patch where the drops seemed to be the size of quarters.

Usually I think that's caused by melting graupel. Thunderstorms tend to have a lot of it.

You know, I had that thought, except I thought hail. Regardless, I think it's one of the coolest things. Some of those things are like getting hit with a water balloon

Graupel is usually baby hail. Sometimes they are from hail,but graupel is more common.

Nothing today, barely ever saw a cloud until late this evening.

Lol awesome. What a hell hole.

Pretty lame here as well. I got split and missed this afternoon. Drove through that cell north of AFB, around 3:30. Had those giant raindrops someone else was talking about. Got home and it was dry. Probably had .20 this morning.

Graupel is usually baby hail. Sometimes they are from hail,but graupel is more common.

Had a pinger out in our 'hood today that hit my grill. From the last pop up that quickly moved E. No radar sig and just one distinct ping. Was kinda odd.

Archived