• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2015 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

I've seen a number of dead trees in the city lately. Not sure it's fully related but perhaps it helped push them along. 

Are the dying trees isolated to a single species of tree, or are several species involved? The reason I ask is that there has been a significant die off of Chestnut Oaks, a white oak variety, in the forest adjacent to my home. My neighbor had mentioned some time back that a disease affecting White Oaks was spreading across the country from the west. But like you implied, with the dry conditions, any tree that is weakened from disease or insects is at risk.  

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought August as a whole was really nice temp wise. It was about a 50/50 mix of AN and BN days and a string of the BN days were due to low dew continental air. 

Prelim monthly temps:

DCA +1.2

IAD  -0.8

BWI evensteven

MET Summer

DCA +2.9, +1.7, +1.2

IAD  +1.0, -0.7, -0.8

BWI  +1.7, 0, 0

Overall it was a totally boring and outside of June rains there has been almost nothing to talk about. But I'll gladly take repeats of a summers like this in the temp dept.  As normal as it gets. 

Except the weeds that thrive in this stuff.

And I'd much rather mow than reseed

Even the weeds died in my yard, seriously! Some of the community trees are dead too. I stopped watering my grass cause its totally dead. Part of that though was because when the house was built the ground wasn't prepared properly so I was fighting a losing battle anyway. I've been slowly starting over reseeding parts of the lawn but its hard work (it is coming up well though).

A lot of Ash trees are getting the beat down from Emerald Ash borer. Oaks and orhers, particularly Pin Oaks, are succeptible to bacterial leaf scorch, which looks like drought damage.

Ok, interesting.  I was wondering about the pin oak in my backyard, the one that I planted myself 20 years ago and now stands nearly 50 feet tall.  Some of the leaves around the lower parts are brownish.  I was thinking it was too soon for fall leaves the other day.  Maybe that is the reason then.  I hope it is not detrimental to the tree's overall health in any way.

Even the weeds died in my yard, seriously! Some of the community trees are dead too. I stopped watering my grass cause its totally dead. Part of that though was because when the house was built the ground wasn't prepared properly so I was fighting a losing battle anyway. I've been slowly starting over reseeding parts of the lawn but its hard work (it is coming up well though).

Same here, nothing is growing now in my yard, everything is scorched.  I've had to resort to watering my shrubs and trees; they were all looking very sickly.

Same here, nothing is growing now in my yard, everything is scorched.  I've had to resort to watering my shrubs and trees; they were all looking very sickly.

My trees, flowers and shrubs are doing well, but I kept up a crazy watering schedule for them. The grass was too much so I had to give up.

In all seriousness, I'm surprised your area isn't under D0 drought yet. Soon...

Ok, interesting. I was wondering about the pin oak in my backyard, the one that I planted myself 20 years ago and now stands nearly 50 feet tall. Some of the leaves around the lower parts are brownish. I was thinking it was too soon for fall leaves the other day. Maybe that is the reason then. I hope it is not detrimental to the tree's overall health in any way.

If that is indeed bacterial leaf scorch, it is usually terminal, but takes a long time. I first noticed infection in my parents pin oak back in 2004 with some late summer browning on a few branches. Over 10 years it gradually spread to the whole tree, so that by the fall of 2013, it was bare by early October, all the leaves having browned and fallen off early. Over time small branches started to die as well, such that by spring 2014, the tree just didn't look good anymore. So, down it came.

How do you reverse something like that? Is it usually the case that these kind of diseases kill over a long time? Do any kill rapidly?

Oak Wilt kills rapidly, within a year. Neither oak wilt nor bacterial leaf scorch is curable, though annual antibiotic treatments can greatly slow the progress of bacterial leaf scorch.

Archived