joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2015 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been planning on hiking Old Rag with my kids early Thursday. It's the best hike in our region by far and the weather has me concerned. Our plan is getting to the trail head by 7am and getting off the mountain by 1pm or so. Rain on the descent is fine but definitely not across the top of the ridge on the rock scramble. 

The location is just south of Sperryville on the east side of the blue ridge. It still looks like a doable window but I'm not liking how close the timing is with rain moving in down that way. Any met thoughts on precip onset? It would really suck to have to call it off. It would suck even worse to get turned around on the trail though. 

I've been planning on hiking Old Rag with my kids early Thursday. It's the best hike in our region by far and the weather has me concerned. Our plan is getting to the trail head by 7am and getting off the mountain by 1pm or so. Rain on the descent is fine but definitely not across the top of the ridge on the rock scramble. 

The location is just south of Sperryville on the east side of the blue ridge. It still looks like a doable window but I'm not liking how close the timing is with rain moving in down that way. Any met thoughts on precip onset? It would really suck to have to call it off. It would suck even worse to get turned around on the trail though. 

Could just bypass the rock scramble by going up the other side of the loop.  You'll also enjoy a lot more shade on that side of the mountain.

Could just bypass the rock scramble by going up the other side of the loop.  You'll also enjoy a lot more shade on that side of the mountain.

The scramble is the whole reason were going. My kids love that stuff. Temps and clouds look ideal for an August hike. Just need to avoid the rain. Too bad the hike isn't located in Stephens City. LOL. 

http://www.climbingweather.com/Virginia/Old-Rag

will be interesting to see what they do now that the 00z NAM and GFS have come in really dry, with the GFS basically having 0 in DC.    SREF looks wet for now;  we'll see what the overnight Euro shows.

HPC thoughts thru Monday. Looks like there on the northern part of current guidance.

8/4:  0.04

Monthly total:   0.04"

Seasonal total: 6.18"

.04 inches of rain in the past 8 days.  Grass is fried.

Haha! You are beating me so far for the month. After over 6.25 for the month of July, calendar turned and spigot was slammed shut.....0.00 for month so far here. HHH is back though, 88.1 high yesterday and  66.4 low this am, currently 68.8/65.7.

Haha! You are beating me so far for the month. After over 6.25 for the month of July, calendar turned and spigot was slammed shut.....0.00 for month so far here. HHH is back though, 88.1 high yesterday and  66.4 low this am, currently 68.8/65.7.

91F here yesterday and another warm start this morning.  The "cool down" is getting less cool with each day.  I see my forecast for Sunday is already up to 85F, as is tomorrow (which, of course, will probably verify warmer than that).  Once the rain completely disappears from the forecast for Friday, that high will jump as well.

Not a drop yesterday.  ~1.25" since July 9th.

That's pretty dry, even dryer than me.

Archived