CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of weather for summer activities, it's been pretty good. Just boring. I can do without this stretch of dews though.

I'm ready for the late week COC. It's been awhile since we've seen single digit 850s up here. I've actually found myself looping those stupid 800hr CFS runs in anticipation for the first legit fall airmass. Sad.

I'd have to say the Delmarva drive seems to be the worst....its so flat and literally nothing there but chicken farms...the drive down 13 to VA beach is so horrible. It literally all looks the same and seems to never end.

Actually just did that drive on Sunday coming back from OBX after a long vacation. It's for sure pretty brutal stretch. Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is always interesting to go over though.

Actually just did that drive on Sunday coming back from OBX after a long vacation. It's for sure pretty brutal stretch. Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is always interesting to go over though.

I have family in VA Beach so do that drive once a year on average and Delaware is brutal. Only positive is that it means I'm almost there and just have the Bay Bridge Tunnel to go. I love that Chesapeake Bay bridge....once drove it right before they shut it down for a storm, and it was at night, coolest thing ever. Wind blowing, it's dark and all you can see are the tops of the huge swells moving past just below the road height. You can't see the big ocean out there, just these foreboding huge swells of what looks like black waters. It was creepy and awesome at the same time.

If one can ignore a 30-mile-wide strip between NYC and PHL (the "Corridor State"), NJ is quite nice - glaciated hills and abundant lakes to the NW, farms, pineys, and beaches to the SE.  (Though this last would be a lot nicer if one did not have to compete with so many other drivers trying to get to/from them.)

I'd rather the quieter beaches down by ACY. The NW part of the state is pretty. Nice area NW of 287.

I have family in VA Beach so do that drive once a year on average and Delaware is brutal. Only positive is that it means I'm almost there and just have the Bay Bridge Tunnel to go. I love that Chesapeake Bay bridge....once drove it right before they shut it down for a storm, and it was at night, coolest thing ever. Wind blowing, it's dark and all you can see are the tops of the huge swells moving past just below the road height. You can't see the big ocean out there, just these foreboding huge swells of what looks like black waters. It was creepy and awesome at the same time.

Yeah that thing really is an engineering marvel, I drove over it at night as well.....it felt like I was driving in the middle of the ocean by myself lol.  Now they just need to build something similar across Delaware Bay....

Yeah that thing really is an engineering marvel, I drove over it at night as well.....it felt like I was driving in the middle of the ocean by myself lol. Now they just need to build something similar across Delaware Bay....

More impressive is how quickly they built it. Contrast that with the Big Dig.

Was at the Watch Hill lighthouse today. This flagpole survived Gloria, Bob, Irene and Sandy but the microburst last week with 75 plus mph winds took it down. The Museum down there is cool with lots of 38 hurricane pics.So cool being there as the fog bank lifted . . The fog horn is automated by a duel camera system that measures visibility night and day.

Taylor says hi

0825151249.jpg

0825151321.jpg

Archived