joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any thoughts on this weekend guys? According to local NWS, this lame subtropical low spinning off around Bermuda, will spawn an inverted trough type feature that wants to try and spoil this weekend's weather with persistent nuisance showers...

Naturally I'm skeptical pops will be as high throughout the region as currently forecast (40%-60%), on Sunday. We all know about these imaginary IVT's....That said, it is summer so just a touch of forcing is all it takes to catalyze pop-up downpours in the mid afternoon hours...

NHC has the subtropical low sliding north, while the GFS, wants to slide it NW/NNW, coming close enough to have a better chance of influencing our sensible weather...Currently satellite and WVP loops, tells me to go with the former as oppose to the latter...

I'd be really happy to see this system get shunted North, and eventually NNE...

Any thoughts on this weekend guys? According to local NWS, this lame subtropical low spinning off around Bermuda, will spawn an inverted trough type feature that wants to try and spoil this weekend's weather with persistent nuisance showers...

Naturally I'm skeptical pops will be as high throughout the region as currently forecast (40%-60%), on Sunday. We all know about these imaginary IVT's....That said, it is summer so just a touch of forcing is all it takes to catalyze pop-up downpours in the mid afternoon hours...

NHC has the subtropical low sliding north, while the GFS, wants to slide it NW/NNW, coming close enough to have a better chance of influencing our sensible weather...Currently satellite and WVP loops, tells me to go with the former as oppose to the latter...

I'd be really happy to see this system get shunted North, and eventually NNE...

Mmm.   s'posed to go on a one night outdoorsy thing with some buddies ...canoeing and tents, camp fire, cigars and Jim Beam...  (wives gave them the weekend off - ) but am having second thoughts.  It's typically tropical training weather we can get around here when flow does this.  And if you're not in the fire hose, it's actually doable.  Right now in along the Rt 2 here in N. Ma it's quite pleasant ..until you go west where the tube of rain lurks, and then it's a 69/69 quagmire.  No thanks in canoes in tents in that shiz, and the tube is pointing at the Sacko river. If I were stranded in the sticks in a survival ordeal, with a sleeping bag and a tent, and that kind of weather come in, I'd be grateful for a my sponge bag and tent - sure.  But 'car camping' when your a stones throw away from calling the game ... ?   I guess the upshot is that you can call the game whenever you want.  So I'm hedging toward going, ..if for nothing else enjoying watching the other guys try to make a stay out of misery.    

Left VT this morning after 0.88" of rain.

Now in Woodstock, CT...no idea temp or dew but doesn't feel all that bad. Sitting out on the deck up on the hill there is a nice breeze though which makes all the difference.

Drive down here was a lot of light rain in eastern VT but then torrential rain (1/4sm visibility with folks using their flashers on the Mass Pike) just east of Springfield and the I91/I90 interchange. Looks like PWS in that area of Ludlow, MA picked up around 0.8".

Left VT this morning after 0.88" of rain.

Now in Woodstock, CT...no idea temp or dew but doesn't feel all that bad. Sitting out on the deck up on the hill there is a nice breeze though which makes all the difference.

Drive down here was a lot of light rain in eastern VT but then torrential rain (1/4sm visibility with folks using their flashers on the Mass Pike) just east of Springfield and the I91/I90 interchange. Looks like PWS in that area of Ludlow, MA picked up around 0.8".

Have a good visit, I am about 10 miles east near RI border, and 84 and mostly sunny with darker clouds to the west.

Sun coming out.  Front well through.  Down to 66F with a 64F dew.  Feels alittle "fall like".   After high dews for so long 60F dew will feel dry.  Missed the rain again.  .15" with the fropa.  Hopefully showers can back in from the east to help our local drought.  It is very localized, towns all around me have gotten summer T storms.

Have a good visit, I am about 10 miles east near RI border, and 84 and mostly sunny with darker clouds to the west.

I'm over near RT 198, not too far from Bigelow Hollow. I found my parents thermometer on the deck and it says 72F right now. First few sprinkles falling now...temp seems to have dropped quite a bit in the last 10 minutes.

I'm over near RT 198, not too far from Bigelow Hollow. I found my parents thermometer on the deck and it says 72F right now. First few sprinkles falling now...temp seems to have dropped quite a bit in the last 10 minutes.

yep much cooler last 10 minutes, was a beautiful afternoon. Tropical blues

After around 0.5" of rain this morning we wound up with one of the most spectacular afternoons of the summer...sunny skies with some small puffy cumulus, low dew points, and a light northwesterly breeze. Temperatures are primarily in the mid 70s, but I'm looking forward to a nice radiational cooling night tonight. Not bad considering I was thinking today would be mostly cloudy and manky with scattered showers.

I brought the rain apparently. Been under this narrow band for like the past hour and doesn't seem to be moving. Hopefully tomorrow will be ok...hoping for some good float time on the lake (pond haha).

Tomorrow should be good. Close call for your area but I'm pretty optimistic I-91 and west. 

Was in Thompson last night visiting friends, narrow band of very light showers, enough to dampen the ground and that was it; looking east we could still see blue sky, felt like I was back in FL! Here is a shot I got coming over the West Thompson dam

Nice shot.

Nice.  My year off from work may be interrupted as I might be taking a job as an interim vp at a university in Boston.  Seems like they'll be very flexible from a scheduling perspective, perhaps having me on campus only three days a week and give me a hotel for my overnights.  Still need to work out details and confirm I want to do it.  But they money will sure be better than the last couple of months of freedom.  So, both FTW and FTL???

I brought the rain apparently. Been under this narrow band for like the past hour and doesn't seem to be moving. Hopefully tomorrow will be ok...hoping for some good float time on the lake (pond haha).

Waterbody naming can vary with context.  In NNJ we lived near a 60-acre "lake", while my current home is about 10 miles from a 9,000-acre "pond."  (At least they had the decency to call it Great Pond.) 

Missed the heavier rain yesterday but still got 0.32" with another 0.27" overnight - about half what the garden needed but still appreciated.  Yesterday's 71/64 marked the season's mildest minimum.

Archived