wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my year of R/R is doomed.  I've taken a position in Boston to keep me occupied through early May.  I'll then have about 6 weeks before I can start my new gig upon the expiration of my non-compete.  I'll be in Boston M, T and TH, back at the Pit the other days.  I wonder how long it will take for the Monday night in Boston to grow old....

Nice evening out there.

64.1/55

Isn't it an older house?

It is. I believe it was built by the Harkness family long ago. I like the hilltop prospect, but it has strange geometry. Definitely not classic New England. Apparently, it suffered significant damage to its first floor from waves during the '38 hurricane, which is pretty astounding considering how high up it is.

It is. I believe it was built by the Harkness family long ago. I like the hilltop prospect, but it has strange geometry. Definitely not classic New England. Apparently, it suffered significant damage to its first floor from waves during the '38 hurricane, which is pretty astounding considering how high up it is.

it was actually not built by the Harknesses. During Hurricane Sandy the lighthouse keeper reporter the spray from the waves enveloped and went over the house. Look at that pic and picture that.

Pretty arousing stuff.

Standing at the lighthouse right after Sandy some 35 feet above the water and seeing a wave water line on the lighthouse at my eye level and looking down at the ground eroded by waves really gave me a feel for the immense power of that storm. There were Volkswagen size boulders thrown over the seawall. In one of my pics you can see they are still rebuilding the wall. There is Sandy restoration sign up at the lighthouse. The lighthouse keep told us a harrowing tail.

Standing at the lighthouse right after Sandy some 35 feet above the water and seeing a wave water line on the lighthouse at my eye level and looking down at the ground eroded by waves really gave me a feel for the immense power of that storm. There were Volkswagen size boulders thrown over the seawall. In one of my pics you can see they are still rebuilding the wall. There is Sandy restoration sign up at the lighthouse. The lighthouse keep told us a harrowing tail.

Sandy just had so much going for it when it comes to generating waves. You had that great anomalous easterly jet, plus coastal trapping and funneling of waves.

it was actually not built by the Harknesses. During Hurricane Sandy the lighthouse keeper reporter the spray from the waves enveloped and went over the house. Look at that pic and picture that.

Ginx, do you know who the original owner was? Actually, when looking at an older image of the house, it fit its environs better. I would also love to see post-Sandy pics of the boulders.

There's a house on the south shore of FI that is on a sand bluff and in danger of falling into the ocean. The owners had it moved back fifty feet from the edge in fall 2012. Sandy came along three weeks later and now the house is back on the edge. No way to move it this time. Next hurricane that comes along will be its end. A sad day that will be. Beautiful twelve bedroom built in the '20s.

Ginx, do you know who the original owner was? Actually, when looking at an older image of the house, it fit its environs better. I would also love to see post-Sandy pics of the boulders.

There's a house on the south shore of FI that is on a sand bluff and in danger of falling into the ocean. The owners had it moved back fifty feet from the edge in fall 2012. Sandy came along three weeks later and now the house is back on the edge. No way to move it this time. Next hurricane that comes along will be its end. A sad day that will be. Beautiful twelve bedroom built in the '20s.

Pearl Pinkerton McClelland built "Holiday House" in 1929 as her summer home in Rhode Island. The house was sold to Rebekah Harkness in 1940 due to a loss of land from the 1938 hurricane.

Well, my year of R/R is doomed.  I've taken a position in Boston to keep me occupied through early May.  I'll then have about 6 weeks before I can start my new gig upon the expiration of my non-compete.  I'll be in Boston M, T and TH, back at the Pit the other days.  I wonder how long it will take for the Monday night in Boston to grow old....

Nice evening out there.

64.1/55

What happened to the year off? You'll become intimately familiar with every nuance of Rt 2...

The Harkness summer house in Waterford, CT is a beaut.  It's great they made that into a state park.  I spent many a day there--great memories.

What happened to the year off? You'll become intimately familiar with every nuance of Rt 2...

Well, we figured we could tighten our belts and do it.  But, I guess I just couldn't go without Cinemax and Game of Thrones.

On a serious note, I did not like having a year gap on my resume, and it is a lot easier on the financial front to be doing so.  Having over two months off straight sure didn't suck, though.  But, I will have another chunk of time on the back end before I begin my permanent gig.  In the end, it'll be about 3-3.5 months that I will have had off.

It's amazing how sucky traffic is once you get east of I-190 and progressively worse as you go in.  I'm glad I won't be doing it every day!

The guy is always low in radiation setups but some local mets report him as legit. Make Hollow is like a 500' elevation carved between some 1100' hill tops I believe.

CT TV mets for some reason are obsessed with those weenie spots and insist on telling us the temperature in places like that. Channel 3's favorite spot is Bakersville where all of five people live.

Archived