• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

4 years ago today we prepped for Irene which ended up doing extensive damage here in ECT while sparing a lot of the region, coastal CT took a beating but the WNE NNE inland flooding became the major story. 8 days without power made for a long camping adventure. The outer band with estimated outer winds gusting near 85 did the damage in ECT, several micro vortices were embedded. This loop shows them

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 years ago today we prepped for Irene which ended up doing extensive damage here in ECT while sparing a lot of the region, coastal CT took a beating but the WNE NNE inland flooding became the major story. 8 days without power made for a long camping adventure. The outer band with estimated outer winds gusting near 85 did the damage in ECT, several micro vortices were embedded. This loop shows them

DIT stood atop his roof, arms extended as the band approached, screaming "Take me! Take me!" to the heavens.

Irene was the largest natural disaster in VT in recent history.

I think we had like 4-6" of rain in 12-18 hours? Some spots were like 7-8" I believe too.

When I play with my dog in the river here in town, I just think back to Irene when the water level was like 10 feet higher.

I took a ride up Rte 30 along the West River shortly afterward and I had never seen so much destruction along the rivers.  Vermont and parts of the Berkshires were hit much harder than most places around here.

Speaking of river markers, there's a marker south of Springfield, MA along the Connecticut River that lists different floods.  The one I remember in the 80s is on the bottom and they move up from there.  It's amazing to think about how much water there was and how high above your head it was.

I took a ride up Rte 30 along the West River shortly afterward and I had never seen so much destruction along the rivers.  Vermont and parts of the Berkshires were hit much harder than most places around here.

Speaking of river markers, there's a marker south of Springfield, MA along the Connecticut River that lists different floods.  The one I remember in the 80s is on the bottom and they move up from there.  It's amazing to think about how much water there was and how high above your head it was.

There's a marker in Hartford too near the Bulkeley Bridge. 

Irene was really bad in terms of flooding in VT/NH/western MA and NW CT. Wind wasn't much to write home about.  The flooding really took the cake.

We had some wind that wasn't recorded in spots. the after assessment showed these pockets of very high damage , probably microbursts or brief spinups. My last gust recorded was 63 but right after all the trees were bent completely over that is when the crap hit the fan. There was this hop skip damage pattern across ECT. I'd guess some above 75 mph stuff.

Damage was 941 broken poles, 3,404 sections of downed wire, 623 broken transformers and 2,045 closed roads.

Irene was really bad in terms of flooding in VT/NH/western MA and NW CT. Wind wasn't much to write home about. The flooding really took the cake.

The flooding was pretty unreal. It's no wonder the storm was so expensive in damage because roads and bridges are not cheap, especially with the excavation required afterward.

Its funny how even now people forget how devastating Sandy was to RI

The waves and surge, yes. But wind and flooding from freshwater wasn't something that will be remembered through history. Doesn't take away from the storm itself...just speaking from impact standpoint.

The flooding was pretty unreal. It's no wonder the storm was so expensive in damage because roads and bridges are not cheap, especially with the excavation required afterward.

Yeah the scars on the riverbeds still visible in Ludlow. Clearly can see what bridges and roadways were new too. 

Its funny how even now people forget how devastating Sandy was to RI

Yup. 

After both storms I came to the realization that even a big hurricane/TS will have tremendously localized impact and effects hat depend on a lot of variables. Hard to broad brush a storm. 

Sandy had more impressive winds than Irene but the leaves were off most of the trees and there was less rain prior - so Irene > Sandy in terms of wind damage... but in terms of actual wind Sandy > Irene.

Sandy had a higher surge than Irene but in CT it came at low tide so the net effect was less. Had Sandy come at high tide it would have been a catastrophe in Long Island Sound (worse than 1938 in many areas). In South County RI the southerly long period swell was so powerful it actually wound up destroying way more than Irene. 

In Irene there was quite a bit of fresh water flooding in W CT too. 

Yup. 

After both storms I came to the realization that even a big hurricane/TS will have tremendously localized impact and effects hat depend on a lot of variables. Hard to broad brush a storm. 

Sandy had more impressive winds than Irene but the leaves were off most of the trees and there was less rain prior - so Irene > Sandy in terms of wind damage... but in terms of actual wind Sandy > Irene.

Sandy had a higher surge than Irene but in CT it came at low tide so the net effect was less. Had Sandy come at high tide it would have been a catastrophe in Long Island Sound (worse than 1938 in many areas). In South County RI the southerly long period swell was so powerful it actually wound up destroying way more than Irene. 

In Irene there was quite a bit of fresh water flooding in W CT too. 

anyone wishing for a direct Cat 3 strike is pretty crazy but weather geeks are crazy anyways. I am all set watching a 3 hit somewhere else

anyone wishing for a direct Cat 3 strike is pretty crazy but weather geeks are crazy anyways. I am all set watching a 3 hit somewhere else

At some point a full-fledged hurricane is going to hit again and we will be in for a world of hurt.  I can't imagine the media coverage.  Between Irene and Sandy there was a lot of hype about storms getting stronger and we haven't even had a hurricane yet, let alone a category 2 or 3.

At some point a full-fledged hurricane is going to hit again and we will be in for a world of hurt.  I can't imagine the media coverage.  Between Irene and Sandy there was a lot of hype about storms getting stronger and we haven't even had a hurricane yet, let alone a category 2 or 3.

Yeah the general public has no idea. We'll be knocked back into the stone age. A stupid TS takes out power for a week. Imagine a CAT II.

Not sure the media coverage would be much different. We did >24 hours of wall-to-wall coverage for both storms... would probably be pretty similar for a legit cane. 

Yeah the general public has no idea. We'll be knocked back into the stone age. A stupid TS takes out power for a week. Imagine a CAT II.

Yup. It would be terrible. I don't think most weather weenies even understand the carnage we'd see - especially if it was a more westward track putting many areas on the right side.

Yup. It would be terrible. I don't think most weather weenies even understand the carnage we'd see - especially if it was a more westward track putting many areas on the right side.

Until a major metro are is knocked out and they experience what its like to be without basic services for a week most of the GP where people live really have no clue. I know Roctober woke some up in HFD but unlike rural residents the majority are clueless. To our advantage being rural means having stand by plans and the ability to cope. I would hate to see a major city extended disaster.

Until a major metro are is knocked out and they experience what its like to be without basic services for a week most of the GP where people live really have no clue. I know Roctober woke some up in HFD but unlike rural residents the majority are clueless. To our advantage being rural means having stand by plans and the ability to cope. I would hate to see a major city extended disaster.

Yup. You adapt after a while. A lot of people are more aware after Irene/October snowstorm about life without power for a week. Once you start talking about 2-3 weeks of no power life just all around sucks. MREs at town hall, filling up jugs of water at the fire department, etc. 

Not sure the media coverage would be much different. We did >24 hours of wall-to-wall coverage for both storms... would probably be pretty similar for a legit cane. 

You guys do a good job.  I'm referring mostly to national media hype and a constant emphasis on how storms are impacted by climate change.  When it does happen again, they will make it sound like it's never happened before.

You guys do a good job.  I'm referring mostly to national media hype and a constant emphasis on how storms are impacted by climate change.  When it does happen again, they will make it sound like it's never happened before.

Thankfully by that time we're preempting a lot of the stuff and providing local information.

Though I do think if we have a Cat 2 or 3 coming north and taking a track that would put us in the right quadrant of the storm it's time to scare the hell out of people so they pay attention. 

Like you said, I think people in rural areas are generally more prepared.  I think we caught of glimpse of how things would be in a major city with Sandy.

Thankfully by that time we're preempting a lot of the stuff and providing local information.

Though I do think if we have a Cat 2 or 3 coming north and taking a track that would put us in the right quadrant of the storm it's time to scare the hell out of people so they pay attention. 

I think you kind of have to.  People have no idea.  Even with tropical storms they think that it will be no big deal.  I'll never forget standing on the tower on MWN in college and experiencing barely cat 1 winds at 75mph and thinking how strong they were.  I couldn't imagine winds above that but they happen.

Archived