• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Except...we use Fahrenheit here. And since it is a bigger scale, it is probably more accurate. That said, Celsius mimics the human experience of perception of 1 degree being noticeable vs F where it may not be. Putting in C on a USA based bb seems contrarian to me.

Not more accurate. You could say more precise but it depends on the precision of the instrumentation

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that's cool. Man you have a great setup. I'd love to do that.

It's cool seeing the animals. There were lots of critters eating pears yesterday morning...looks like a fox, deer, coyote, and skunk. I need a mostly sky cam like Scott that faces north. I'm going to get one of those $100 Hikvision cams and aim it north from off of the garage.

Anyways...yesterday's 24hr loop.

http://www.newenglandwx.com/cam/dailymovie.htm

It's cool seeing the animals. There were lots of critters eating pears yesterday morning...looks like a fox, deer, coyote, and skunk. I need a mostly sky cam like Scott that faces north. I'm going to get one of those $100 Hikvision cams and aim it north from off of the garage.

Anyways...yesterday's 24hr loop.

http://www.newenglandwx.com/cam/dailymovie.htm

so, who was walking around the back yard at 730am yesterday?

Anyways...yesterday's 24hr loop.http://www.newenglandwx.com/cam/dailymovie.htm

That's great!

I'm not sure I want to know what walks through our yard at night.

See some acorns as well. Didn't look at the size closely though.

I'm assuming this is for muse, only ?  Right - 

Just in case ...  acorn production is entirely a function of growing conditions spanning years. It's a micro-climate question, feeding back positive or negative to flora reproductive cycles, but as biology shows, taking multi-season adaptation - nothing else. 

Having said that... one might possibly argue veraciously for an indirect correlation.  What I mean by that is, suppose the longer term weather pattern both favors acorn production, as well as harsh winters?  (those two circumstances are outcomes, but are not necessarily related to one another).  

But the key there is, TIME.  The problem is, a single summer does not (by biology) enhance THAT summer's acorn production, so there could only be unlikely immediate predictive skill that is based upon THAT summer's production. That's just logic. But if there is a pattern tendency that is prolonged, spanning across multiple years/seasons, it may become coincidentally correlate- able given that extended duration of time. 

If the long term pattern lock-in bias argument is applied, I think it could tested that way.  It would be quite intuitive that if x pattern lasting for 4 years, helping flora produce fruits and nuts, but happens to also associate to harsher (softer) winter weather, then duh...

Perhaps the centuries old folklore would have been substantiated better if it was built around the longer vision, then - 

Congrats Dendrite , been keeping track, 09 fall mixed size not abundant, 10) huge and tons, 11) small and scattered 12) tons of medium 13) tons of medium to large 14) huge with medium amount 15) tbd

Looks like a blend of 10-11, 13-14, and 14-15 with 09-10 and 11-12 tossed.

Archived