gopenoxfox
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For this index

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/soi.3m.txt

It's a 3 month running mean of Standardized Tahiti - Standardized Darwin SLP data.  If you see at the top of the data set each month is listed.  Since it's a 3 month running mean does that mean each month is centered around the previous and following month?  

So in reality the January column is really DJF with the February column being JFM, and etc?  

No, ORH, but I usually use Celsius. I taught science to middle schoolers and worked hard to get them to use metric whenever possible both because it is used by the rest of the world and is logical. Should have translated it.

Except...we use Fahrenheit here. And since it is a bigger scale, it is probably more accurate. That said, Celsius mimics the human experience of perception of 1 degree being noticeable vs F where it may not be. Putting in C on a USA based bb seems contrarian to me.

Except...we use Fahrenheit here. And since it is a bigger scale, it is probably more accurate. That said, Celsius mimics the human experience of perception of 1 degree being noticeable vs F where it may not be. Putting in C on a USA based bb seems contrarian to me.

Good luck finding F in any physics or met coursework. You're pretty much dealing with K or C for every equation.

I prefer F only because I grew up with it. 100F sounds really hot, and it is. Below 0F sounds really cold, and it is.

I've had enough met and worked with enough data to basically see C everytime I read F. We should probably just go metric someday, but part of me likes being different.

I just spent entirely too much time trying to open a coconut. The inside smells weird and it tastes revolting.

Should have gone with my instincts and planted it instead.

really? i used to treat myself every now and then to a real coconut I would buy from whole foods...i would take it outside and try to smash it open, and then i would eat the "meat" I love fresh coconut!

Good luck finding F in any physics or met coursework. You're pretty much dealing with K or C for every equation.

I prefer F only because I grew up with it. 100F sounds really hot, and it is. Below 0F sounds really cold, and it is.

I've had enough met and worked with enough data to basically see C everytime I read F. We should probably just go metric someday, but part of me likes being different.

Yes we all are pretty facile in Celsius given what we look at in model land is always that way.

I agree with preferring the smaller divisions, though one could always take Celsius to the tenths if desired - not that normal people would care.

Archived