joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eversource has been hacking the trees to death on my street.  They did some last year, but really came back and went overboard this time.  Parts of the road seem so wide now, and all that brush was hiding things nobody wants to look at.

Sad thing is, it won't accomplish anything because their bucket truck can't even come close to reaching the problem pines.

You know, property owners can walk the street with the tree crews and discuss which trees need specific types of trimming. We did and they did a decent job. Of course, if you've got a ton of frontage, it's going to be a while. 

Meh-stretch of warmth here.  I'm used to torching better than this.

my august is better than yours

1.   91 73 

2.   92 66 

3.   93 70 

4.   93 69 

5.   90 69 

6.   85 66 

7.   84 67 

8.   83 65 

9.   85 69 

10. 81 68

11. 82 71 

12. 87 69 

13. 85 68 

14. 90 63 

15. 94 68 

16. 96 72

17. 97 73 

18. 91 77 

If I had to guess by the pictures of the drain line, I'd say its over 100 years easy, probably late 1800s actually. Problem is most cities don't inspect their underground infrastructure until there's a failure.....

Politicians love talking about roads and bridges but don't give two hoots about drain/sewer/water which is just as deteriorated. Little do they know most water mains look like this in the northeast....

Truth.  I remember sitting in a meeting right after the first round of Stimulus came out and the discussion was which roads should be paved, and could be paved in the short window provided to get the job done in order to qualify for the funds.  One of the local city engineers commented exactly what you are referring to, there are funds to fix the roads but no funds for the deteriorated pipes below grade.  He asked whats the point of paving the road only to have to come back and rip it up on a regular basis to fix the pipes.     

I want to reach out to him from Stowe...we get a big storm I'll find a way to put him up in the hotel at 1500ft to watch the snow fall. I know we've had Cantore up here during storms (he did an October broadcast from 2,500ft one night with just the lights of a snowcat behind him as it pounded snow), along with Eric Fisher.

Gotta reach out to Trout. Anyone that loves watching snow fall, especially on a mountain or chases snowstorms is a good guy.

If I had to guess by the pictures of the drain line, I'd say its over 100 years easy, probably late 1800s actually. Problem is most cities don't inspect their underground infrastructure until there's a failure.....

Politicians love talking about roads and bridges but don't give two hoots about drain/sewer/water which is just as deteriorated. Little do they know most water mains look like this in the northeast....

tuberculated-pipe.jpgpotable-before.jpg

Are those pics of the mess on I-393?  I'd be surprised if any crossings on that highway are that old, since the interstates were mostly built in the 1960s-80s and essentially always set new crossings, if only because any existing ones were way too short for the new roads.

84, 83 last two days, fairly warm for my transpirationally cooled yard.  The 85 in late May still reigns but only by a whisker.  Unless we get some modest-dew warmth on W to NW winds, I think that May reading has a good chance to remain on top.

Are those pics of the mess on I-393?  I'd be surprised if any crossings on that highway are that old, since the interstates were mostly built in the 1960s-80s and essentially always set new crossings, if only because any existing ones were way too short for the new roads.

84, 83 last two days, fairly warm for my transpirationally cooled yard.  The 85 in late May still reigns but only by a whisker.  Unless we get some modest-dew warmth on W to NW winds, I think that May reading has a good chance to remain on top.

No, those pics are just of a tuberculated nasty water main, which many pipes around the northeast look like since they're cast iron, its harmless, but it just looks gross.  The below picture is of the culvert (or so it says on Patch.com).  

Officials from Concord General Services were not available for comment at post time since they were at the scene inspecting the drainpipe. The age of the pipe is unknown but probably dates back to long before the railroad yard was turned into the Capital Plaza Shopping Center on Storrs Street in the late 1950s and early 1960s.20150855d4d8b71c7a0.jpg

I'll be down your way tomorrow through Sunday in North Woodstock...joining the CT team of posters for a few days haha.

Nice, hopefully not a complete washout. Umpiring the Animal Rescues softball tournament fundraiser in IJD Saturday. hoping models are right with the Friday night Sat night Sunday rain time frames.

Meh-stretch of warmth here.  I'm used to torching better than this.

Agree on the meh. The is definitely the warmest min stretch of the season though, but even that isn't too bad...lots of low/mid 60s.

Archived