• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Speaking of which... the nearby PWS has already lost 17 degrees since the high of 89F. As of 8pm its down to 72F as that mountain valley air conditioning turns on.

This is when I used to remember living in downtown Burlington and on a hot summer day, temperatures would still be in the low 80s at like 10pm, while over in the mountain valley towns they'd be down into the upper 60s. You can see the BTV area heat island right now as they are still locally in the 80s at 8pm.

August_18_temps.jpg

I was driving down 100 from echo lake at 3pm and my car thermo was 81. I will give the valley/lush green vegetation helping, but it didn't really spike until after 3 when it hit maybe mid 80s? This is awesome. Already nice air coming off the 1600-1800 ft slopes to my NE. It was very warm in the sun/open area, but tough to find a large somewhat urban area around here. Very pretty area. I really enjoyed it, although perhaps a bit too quiet lol. Still, Ludlow is a cool town. Woodstock was a beautiful town as well. All areas still show scars from Irene.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's good to see Eversource installing new transformer switches....hopefully this helps in the next big event.  I'd like to see them installed in Connecticut which really seems to struggle over surrounding states when it comes to power outages.

http://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2015/08/eversource_installs_smart_switches_to_av.html

It's good to see Eversource installing new transformer switches....hopefully this helps in the next big event.  I'd like to see them installed in Connecticut which really seems to struggle over surrounding states when it comes to power outages.

http://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2015/08/eversource_installs_smart_switches_to_av.html

there ya go Herb

Eversource has been hacking the trees to death on my street.  They did some last year, but really came back and went overboard this time.  Parts of the road seem so wide now, and all that brush was hiding things nobody wants to look at.

Sad thing is, it won't accomplish anything because their bucket truck can't even come close to reaching the problem pines.

impressive tcu boiling over the mountains right now

Nice anvil on it now.  Second tower going up to the northeast.

Feels like a damaging day.  Fingers crossed!

Edit:  I unzoomed my cam so you can see it.  Kinda bummed I didn't notice sooner.  Always wanted a timelapse of something like this from the very start.

http://www.lakewinnipesaukee.info/photos-cams/23-weirs-beach-channel-cam

Nice anvil on it now.  Second tower going up to the northeast.

Feels like a damaging day.  Fingers crossed!

Edit:  I unzoomed my cam so you can see it.  Kinda bummed I didn't notice sooner.  Always wanted a timelapse of something like this from the very start.

http://www.lakewinnipesaukee.info/photos-cams/23-weirs-beach-channel-cam

Awesome...can't wait for the 1pm update.

Good thing that sinkhole on I93 didnt occur on Friday afternoon....the traffic is already bad enough.

Never would have expected a sinkhole there.  Coincidentally I just watched an episode of Engineering Disasters about sinkholes earlier this week and was thinking to myself it's unlikely we'd ever see one here :poster_oops: .

New Hampshire, The Granite State, is more immune to the threat of sinkholes. “There’s a conspicuous absence of carbonate rocks in New Hampshire,” said state geologist Rick Chormann. “Our limestone has all been cooked and compressed over millions of years.”

http://northernwoodlands.org/outside_story/article/sinkhole

Im not too surprised it happened there. The river marsh gets pretty close to the hwy right after exit 13. That 3" in 1hr yesterday probably didn't help.

Particularly if there's a culvert there.  We don't get dissolving limestone sinkholes in NNE, but failed culvert ones aren't all that uncommon.

Heat wave in the interior up here. KLEW working on a streak of five days 90+, KSFM with four and KIZG checking in with three-in-a-row. The beach is def the place to be - I chose Kettle Cove in Cape Elizabeth.

20150819_122618_zpsdb9xa1mc.jpg

Impressive for 5 days of 90F or more at LEW and three at IZG!

We came close up here with 84F, 83F, 86F, 89F, 90F, 90F, past 6 days at MVL. Almost an official heat wave.

Yup...article now says it was a failed culvert.

If I had to guess by the pictures of the drain line, I'd say its over 100 years easy, probably late 1800s actually. Problem is most cities don't inspect their underground infrastructure until there's a failure.....

Politicians love talking about roads and bridges but don't give two hoots about drain/sewer/water which is just as deteriorated. Little do they know most water mains look like this in the northeast....

tuberculated-pipe.jpgpotable-before.jpg

Archived