joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the comment from the French official but if you read into it, it's not as if the co-pilot actually said that he was doing it intentionally. It says that there was no response at all so anything could have happened but I wonder why they are leaning toward that.

From what I've seen reported.. It was linked to jihad. The guy that locked the pilot out was some sort if terrorist cell in Germany. That hasn't bern confirmed, but it's what they think was involved

From what I've seen reported.. It was linked to jihad. The guy that locked the pilot out was some sort if terrorist cell in Germany. That hasn't bern confirmed, but it's what they think was involved

I'm seeing the copilot's name reported all over the place, but nothing linking him to a terror cell. Where are you hearing about a connection to jihad?

It could also be the pilot had mental instability issues. Egyptair flight 990 is somewhat similar in that the most likely scenario for that plane crash is for the pilot committing suicide.

Either way it takes one cool cucumber to crash that plane into a mountain without so much as a peep from him.

They heard the co-pilot breathing. I call occam's razor here.

Read on CNN (quoting NY Times, IIRC, possibly quoting a French source) that the flight deck door has three settings, open, normal (need keypad or ID card), and locked - nobody gets in.  The article stated that for a pilot to faint and somehow slide the lever from normal to locked would be all but impossible.  One hopes that further investigation will clear things up, and that the flight data recorder is found and usable.

Conventional terror or not...it is still murder of 150 innocent people and fear put into other people around the world. If you want to kill yourself, do it quietly by yourself.

Yeah, there have been a handful of likely pilot murder/suicides over the years. They're not talked about much, but to my mind they're some of the most horrible cases of mass murders by a single killer in history, making the horrors of famous serial killers look relatively inconsequential.

Excerpt from the CNN article regarding the crash:

The horrific description seemed to leave the prosecutor at a loss for words. It is not being described as a "terrorist attack," and the killing of 150 people would generally not be described as a "suicide" either, Robin said.

Lubitz was not known to be on any terrorism list, and his religion was not immediately known, Robin said.

Decades ago, a JAL flight was brought down by a suicide pilot. People have psychotic breaks but fortunately they are rare in the cockpit. Didn't an Egypt air flight out of BOS go down this way about 10 years ago?

Yeah the Egypt air flight was one I forgot...I had mentioned the Silk Air flight in 1997...Egypt air was 1999 I believe. Was off Long Island too.

The horrific description seemed to leave the prosecutor at a loss for words. It is not being described as a "terrorist attack," and the killing of 150 people would generally not be described as a "suicide" either, Robin said.

Lubitz was not known to be on any terrorism list, and his religion was not immediately known, Robin said.

that statement does not rule out terrorism by just saying that he was not well affiliated and his religion was unknown.He could have been a lone wolf or sympathetic towards terrorist causes or he could have just been a lunatic. We don't know yet.

that statement does not rule out terrorism by just saying that he was not well affiliated and his religion was unknown.He could have been a lone wolf or sympathetic towards terrorist causes or he could have just been a lunatic. We don't know yet.

if he didnt leave a letter or manifesto somewhere then we might never know if he was a terrorist or just a nut who wanted to go down in a blaze of (twisted) glory

We, as a species, have developed "bigger and better" ways to off oneself over the years.

In the 1970's a gunman would climb a tower and start shooting.

Evolved into takingout a school/classroom

Now planes...

No other species does this.

The Malaysia flight last year could have been a suicide as well, but we will never know

I dunno -- most headlines (anyway) this hour read that it was deliberate, one way or the other. 

Not sure how one can extract terrorism conceptually from a deliberate act of genocide.  Terrorism is terrorism, regardless of what motivates the macabre. Whether it was one rogue deviant, or a cadre operating within a sphere of insanity... doesn't matter.  

We, as a species, have developed "bigger and better" ways to off oneself over the years.

In the 1970's a gunman would climb a tower and start shooting.

Evolved into takingout a school/classroom

Now planes...

No other species does this.

The Malaysia flight last year could have been a suicide as well, but we will never know

We really suck. The concept of inflicting so much pain because of one's beliefs is primitive and really selfish. Flawed species.

I dunno -- most headlines (anyway) this hour read that it was deliberate, one way or the other. 

Not sure how one can extract terrorism conceptually from a deliberate act of genocide.  Terrorism is terrorism, regardless of what motivates the macabre. Whether it was one rogue deviant, or a cadre operating within a sphere of insanity... doesn't matter.  

Terrorism is usually defined by having political motives. A guy who just goes batsh** crazy and goes on a killing spree isn't considered terrorism. If this pilot just did this on his own with no real political motive, then they wouldn't classify it as terrorism.

Semantics...yes. Still a terrible act either way.

Archived