• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

You're lucky that your neighborhood slopes the way it does.  Southern facing hillside neighborhoods are more open but I was noticing that even large open corn fields in the valley still had snow cover this morning.

There's a few grass spots showing underneath a pack of white pines in a few yards..but I'd say it's 98% full snow cover.. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's about what it looks like here too. Shaded areas are well over a foot still.

I have a few more open spots in my yard which brings my average down but I still measured spots with 12".  The average was 6".  I still think I'll have traces around in a couple of weeks.  The snow that is left is pretty stout.

I have a few more open spots in my yard which brings my average down but I still measured spots with 12".  The average was 6".  I still think I'll have traces around in a couple of weeks.  The snow that is left is pretty stout.

I joked with my Dad that we may have a white easter there...lol. Very possible their backyard is still covered..esp if we get any additional snow.

I joked with my Dad that we may have a white easter there...lol. Very possible their backyard is still covered..esp if we get any additional snow.

It's only 9 days away so it is possible.  I'm still amazed that it's 3/27 and I still have snow on part of my roof and that my maple season only began last week.  I should be winding down not starting up!

It's only 9 days away so it is possible.  I'm still amazed that it's 3/27 and I still have snow on part of my roof and that my maple season only began last week.  I should be winding down not starting up!

Snow on some roofs here too. For coastal eastern MA...that is telling you something. We furnaced for hours here too yesterday.

Some snow left on roofs here, too.......most of them have melted off. 

Yeah just on some north sides and roof lines where it drifted. Most gone..but still pretty impressive. I haven't had any on mine for a while now. Most of it blows off luckily. Good to have the roof aligned N-S.

Yeah just on some north sides and roof lines where it drifted. Most gone..but still pretty impressive. I haven't had any on mine for a while now. Most of it blows off luckily. Good to have the roof aligned N-S.

I'll measure tonight....def. still over a foot in the full shade spot, but most areas now under. 

Yea, the season will get an A, but I can't cough up an A+ after the terd this season laid outside of that magical 3 weeks.

Lots of cold rain and dry cold.

Still an incredible way to run a record season...I'm fascinated by it. Talk of a dead ratter through January 21st...then 3 weeks of full blitz...then again back to minor events and protracted cold.

But I still think folks would take a 3-week snowfall season every year if it worked out like that. The prolonged cold really helped. Say that snowpack melted out fully from a couple cutters in late-Feb, then March was cold and dry bare ground, the overall appeal would've been much different.

Still an incredible way to run a record season...I'm fascinated by it. Talk of a dead ratter through January 21st...then 3 weeks of full blitz...then again back to minor events and protracted cold.

But I still think folks would take a 3-week snowfall season every year if it worked out like that. The prolonged cold really helped. Say that snowpack melted out fully from a couple cutters in late-Feb, then March was cold and dry bare ground, the overall appeal would've been much different.

No argument to any of that. 

But it wasn't a seasonal record for me....13.5" shy.

Regardless, my fav winter of all-time with a dissapointing start and end...I mean, I have seen 24" outside of that 90" in 21 days. That's an unimaginable-day-after-tomorrow and epicosity sandwich on dead-ratter bread.

Down to a B+ for me. I'm ranking this February as my second favorite winter month ever, only behind Feb 1978, even though we got more snow and cold this month vs that

Just the impact of that event still ranks it #1 in my book

Didn't you get 3' in Juno?

I guess because our climates are different but if I receive 3' in any winter, it's an auto A.

Down to a B+ for me. I'm ranking this February as my second favorite winter month ever, only behind Feb 1978, even though we got more snow and cold this month vs that

Just the impact of that event still ranks it #1 in my book

Yea, the +anomalies with regard to snowfall wane the deeper into the interior one ventures.

Yea, the +anomalies with regard to snowfall wane the deeper into the interior one ventures.

Maybe that's it.  If you mean "seasonal totals", yeah agree... But I've lived between Acton, Winchester, Lowell ...and now Ayer Mass for the last 30 years, and do not recall a snow depth of 44" inches as the pack depth at any other time. Also, the amount of infarction road closures due to "snowterial sclerosis", the likes of which culminated across the 10 days of greatest impact that took place this season, was also not seen before by these eyes.  1995 came close, and until this year, was king, now ...dethroned by personal accountings.  

I can't atone for 1978, as I wasn't around, but since 1984 ...living in said areas 1995 is now 2nd, this one is the new number 1 in terms of ambient snow pack and societal impact. 

The thing is, we kind of get into a confusing area there, when we talk about "event-based" impacts, versus the on-going maintenance issue wrt to just being stuffed and forced to eat more.  That latter aspect became almost entirely the "headlinable" material, as the actual event level impacts ...being that the snow was so incredibly light and airy, was surprisingly minimal. One of those storms, I think the temp was 4 F with S+ and wind. 

You know..  it hearkens to a discussion I had with a Met that doesn't use these sites... That era this year, as amazing as it was, spared the lash to some degree.  No pun intended, but should that same storm frequency take place in a more marginal atmosphere in February, I don't think folks really can get their heads wrapped around what 10:1  would mean at 104" in 23 days. That's national guard stuff...

Maybe that's it.  If you mean "seasonal totals", yeah agree... But I've lived between Acton, Winchester, Lowell ...and now Ayer Mass for the last 30 years, and do not recall a snow depth of 44" inches as the pack depth at any other time. Also, the amount of infarction road closures due to "snowterial sclerosis", the likes of which culminated across the 10 days of greatest impact that took place this season, was also not seen before by these eyes.  1995 came close, and until this year, was king, now ...dethroned by personal accountings.  

I can't atone for 1978, as I wasn't around, but since 1984 ...living in said areas 1995 is now 2nd, this one is the new number 1 in terms of ambient snow pack and societal impact. 

The thing is, we kind of get into a confusing area there, when we talk about "event-based" impacts, versus the on-going maintenance issue wrt to just being stuffed and forced to eat more.  That latter aspect became almost entirely the "headlinable" material, as the actual event level impacts ...being that the snow was so incredibly light and airy, was surprisingly minimal. One of those storms, I think the temp was 4 F with S+ and wind. 

You know..  it hearkens to a discussion I had with a Met that doesn't use these sites... That era this year, as amazing as it was, spared the lash to some degree.  No pun intended, but should that same storm frequency take place in a more marginal atmosphere in February, I don't think folks really can get their heads wrapped around what 10:1  would mean at 104" in 23 days. That's national guard stuff...

Yes.

How does one "deny" using 'roids ?

Um, something doesn't add up there. 

I mean, in order for 'roids to be successful, requires a regimented series of application,...or sessions that work in conjunction with other nutritional supplements, sleep and hydration habits, and/or any other aspects/instructions handed down from the sciences for chemical human-augmentation/ performance enhancing drugs.  Have any of you read what A-Rod's regimens were down there when he was caught as a Yankee?    

Sorry, he knew.  It's not like getting slipped a roofie - 

I mean, come on David;  you're telling us you did not knowingly take performance enhancing agents ... while your slugging percentage jumped from mediocrity in the Twins organization, to something akin to a super hero's after joining the Red Sox, like inside of a year, and we're supposed to believe that you did not knowingly take performance enhancing drugs. 

Okay - we believe you ... 

I mean, in order for 'roids to be successful, requires a regimented series of application,...or sessions that work in conjunction with other nutritional supplements, sleep and hydration habits, and/or any other aspects/instructions handed down from the sciences for chemical human-augmentation/ performance enhancing drugs. Have any of you read what A-Rod's regimens were down there when he was caught as a Yankee?

Sorry, he knew. It's not like getting slipped a roofie -

I mean, come on David; you're telling us you did not knowingly take performance enhancing agents ... while your slugging percentage jumped from mediocrity in the Twins organization, to something akin to a super hero's after joining the Red Sox, like inside of a year, and we're supposed to believe that you did not knowingly take performance enhancing drugs.

It is AMAZING the boost in performance they have given many players

I mean, in order for 'roids to be successful, requires a regimented series of application,...or sessions that work in conjunction with other nutritional supplements, sleep and hydration habits, and/or any other aspects/instructions handed down from the sciences for chemical human-augmentation/ performance enhancing drugs.  Have any of you read what A-Rod's regimens were down there when he was caught as a Yankee?    

Sorry, he knew.  It's not like getting slipped a roofie - 

I mean, come on David;  you're telling us you did not knowingly take performance enhancing agents ... while your slugging percentage jumped from mediocrity in the Twins organization, to something akin to a super hero's after joining the Red Sox, like inside of a year, and we're supposed to believe that you did not knowingly take performance enhancing drugs. 

He def. took them, but I don't attribute his rise to prominence entirely to PEDS.

That steep incline took place right as he entered his physical prime years, and he has maintained it....was not fleeting.

Is he being 100 percent honest?

Different argument.

No argument to any of that.

But it wasn't a seasonal record for me....13.5" shy.

Regardless, my fav winter of all-time with a dissapointing start and end...I mean, I have seen 24" outside of that 90" in 21 days. That's an unimaginable-day-after-tomorrow and epicosity sandwich on dead-ratter bread.

:lol: good description. The fascinating thing is the overall background mood of the general winter pattern from November until now wasn't record snows. Just some "long-wave" storm set up shop for 3 weeks and produced record snow in that time. Then it was back to nickle and dime stuff. Just one of those crazy things in weather...it's not like a season long ambush that feels more like a record year because you are getting a warning event every 2 weeks all winter. Like 1995-1996 or even 2007-2008 up north...winters that just had steady events throughout the winter to get to the records.

Archived