Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still plenty of snow in my yard here in Ashford, although yesterday there were plenty of bare areas around town. My yard is heavily shaded though; I have as low as 6" in my more sun exposed areas, with as much as 17" in my heavily shaded backyard

Front yard:

3c80ba89-98dc-4581-9da1-968371abd80e_zps

Snow depth in front yard (12" if you can't make it out; of course, it varies a lot between spots):

883ac010-9fac-40dc-9b9a-8c414a6241ab_zps

Back yard, which slopes to the northeast. The area closest to the woods receives pretty much no sunlight.

fd94e128-54fc-4e0d-b9d8-34de83595513_zps

Impressive snow depth measurement in the backyard; I didn't expect this much (just about 17")! I bet there are some spots with even more.

a6f7b351-1188-4fa7-8822-3d71dd7d8ec9_zps

Hopefully I'll still have some left for Easter :whistle: IIRC, in mid-March 2011, I still had up to 8 inches snow in my backyard during nearly 70 degree weather (or at least mid 60s). I remember going all around the area and I couldn't find a patch of snow anywhere. The glacier in my backyard didn't melt until the beginning of April that year. Snow just doesn't want to melt in my backyard, lol.

Great pics and explanation of pack distribution. This time of year it's so highly variable upon location, elevation and sun vs. Shade. Easter I think depends on how warm it gets end of week. Most guidance keeps us in the 40's to near 50,, but the Euro is on its own near 60 with dews. An ensemble/GFS scenario would probably mean there's still some snow left on Easter.. But the Euro solution would be bad. Also we may add a little more Tuesday night with the clipper

Just looking at pictures from this time previous years vs. this year.

2014 at this point is nearly identical.

2013 was melted out, just a few patches

2012 100% melted out

2011 mostly melted, but a bit better than 2013

2010 100% melted

2009 Couldn't find pic with evidence

2008 Still a pretty good pack, best year.

Yeah and nothing wrong with posting about it. I just think having this much still OTG this late in the  season is pretty incredible..especially where I live. It's not like I'm beating my chest and have this big pack fetish. Personally, I've never seen anything like it.

Open fields are just patches of snow around here, even in the higher elevations.

My yard is 6" shade but bare now in the full sun spots.

Gorgeous day, 40's in the sun, just a light breeze.

I'm officially checking out of winter mode. Let's melt off, dry out the mud and on to spring clean up. No more accumulating snow here until next November now.

Increasingly warm temps, cooking on the grille, flip flops, shorts, kind bros playing frisbee while little sugar magnolias in batik dresses run through flowering fields sowing cannabis seeds.

Great pics and explanation of pack distribution. This time of year it's so highly variable upon location, elevation and sun vs. Shade. Easter I think depends on how warm it gets end of week. Most guidance keeps us in the 40's to near 50,, but the Euro is on its own near 60 with dews. An ensemble/GFS scenario would probably mean there's still some snow left on Easter.. But the Euro solution would be bad. Also we may add a little more Tuesday night with the clipper

Unfortunately, most of my main, exposed property slopes gently (and in some spots more steeply) to the southwest, and south.  Crappy positioning all around for me.  One of many factors I should have thought about before moving here.

Nah.... This whole area pretty much looks like that.

Unless its a really shaded area

Taunton is one of the best downslope dandy spots in NE. The CT River valley gets the accolades but that area near TAN is a bit under the radar as an epic downslope spot.

Thanks.  Yeah, it sucks that we're getting this awful cutter right before Easter.  I could see everything getting wiped out except my backyard (although it would take quite the torch to wipe out everything including my backyard), but hopefully we luck out.  My gut feeling is that the clipper trends north...  but my gut feeling always has a snowy bias so I wouldn't take it too seriously :lol:   Even if it makes a direct hit though, it would probably be 0.3" liquid equivalent at best, which wouldn't make too much of a difference.

Ortho spray treat them.. But I would hold off till the glacier melts. There's probably quite a bit more to get. Though it's pretty early for clover. Could it be creeping Charlie?

I hope not. That stuff is more sneaky than creeping Suslak into a bedroom on the NW side of Wilmington, MA.

Was watching the NCAA tourney last night with the kids and all of a sudden a mouse shoots out from underneath the couch and races across the room to the radiator on other side. Only 1 of my daughters saw it but the screaming and pandemonium that has caused will effect me for the rest of my life.

I don't know how this fear of a mouse developed in society, but quite stupid when you think about it.

I don't know how this fear of a mouse developed in society, but quite stupid when you think about it.

Ive caught 3 of them in traps this winter but it's been my secret. With 3 females here .. I knew what would happen. Last night my fears were realized. The screaming left me partially deaf and now they won't be downstairs by themselves.

Archived