• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

Was watching the NCAA tourney last night with the kids and all of a sudden a mouse shoots out from underneath the couch and races across the room to the radiator on other side. Only 1 of my daughters saw it but the screaming and pandemonium that has caused will effect me for the rest of my life.

there is one that runs around my mom's apartment.  She tries to talk to it.  We had a squirrel (actually a few) get in before and one morning I was awoken to one running across my body.  I didn't believe it at first b/c I was really hungover but then it was running through the kitchen. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All that's left around my house are snowblown and shoveled areas.

1b2585a25b9fd16fb570cd3ce6c20a7d.jpgc3af59a6b7b3bbea70e292ad5190db1c.jpga1ab76f0e5e54b3eab1420ad8db369ab.jpg

Very similar to up here, at least in my part of the Merrimack Valley, Andover, Methuen, Lawrence...very similar.  Still have piles and in the shadey area maybe 3-4"...most of it has been wiped clear.  Grass showing up everywhere.  Getting ready to rake the lawn.

Well... doesn't seem we're going to pound the snow record into submission here.  

I thought it would be interesting to see a solid regional 12" type blue capper to really put it out of reach - so to speak, but judging by operational and tele tempos ...ain't happenin'...  

I wouldn't in right mind say it's totally over, but prospects are looking real bleak for a clear 1995-1996 separation event.  We'll see.  

I suppose in way, it should mean it is easier in the future to break these sister seasonal records, again. 

I don't know how this fear of a mouse developed in society, but quite stupid when you think about it.

I dunno, maybe the Bubonic Plague, a.k.a, "Black Death" might have something to do with it?  Mice, it is believe ... carried fleas that bit people and spread horror.   

Actually, these fears of insects and rodents (vermin if you will...) are probably more instinctual than many may be aware. They are handed down genetically; such that the other aspect of humanity, our natural heightened curiosity, doesn't drive us to intermingle with that which can kills us.  Be it scorpions, deadly spiders, decease bearing rodentia (that crawl around and root and ferret in what other organism poop out...) you name it, avoidance (abstinence) is probably the first and most effective means to survive that particular threat by nature. It is thus entirely intuitive that any behavior that drives one to avoid, that might be a trait that is favored (Darwinism) over the longer course of evolution. 

'Course, in modern living, sanitation, and advancements in shelter/housing et al... Yeah, there's probably less necessity for those fears. However, seeing as there are millions of years of species evolution leading to any such genetically, pre-programmed sensibility about one's environment, it's not like those signals can be consciously turned off..  

That's my theory ...and I'm stickin' with it -   

I dunno, maybe the Bubonic Plague, a.k.a, "Black Death" might have something to do with it?  Mice, it is believe ... carried fleas that bit people and spread horror.   

Actually, these fears of insects and rodents (vermin if you will...) are probably more instinctual than many may be aware. They are handed down genetically; such that the other aspect of humanity, our natural heightened curiosity, doesn't drive us to intermingle with that which can kills us.  Be it scorpions, deadly spiders, decease bearing rodential (that crawl around and root and ferret in what other organism poop out...) you name it, avoidance (abstinence) is probably the first and more effective means to survive that particular threat by nature.

'Course, in modern living, sanitation, and advancements in shelter/housing et al... Yeah, there's probably less necessity for those fears. However, seeing as there are millions of years of species evolution leading to any such genetically, pre-programmed sensibility about one's environment, it's not like those signals can be consciously turned off..  

That's my theory ...and I'm stickin' with it -   

I get the fear and instincts of fear for deadly things, but the reaction to a mouse seems just something over the top. Sure nobody wants them in the house and what not...but the reaction that many have is like they just saw Godzilla walking across their front yard.

Man what a day in the mountains... could be about 15 degrees warmer though, lol.

attachicon.gifsmall.jpg

'See, ...I like ski trails like that.  Long and relaxing... Moderate speeds utilizing slow, long parallels.  I'm not a big fan of the tucked maverick that guns his irreverent disrespect for the forces of death straight into a field of moguls at some 50 mph or more.  Jumps? .. forget it.  When I was young, it was okay once in a while to try out shock absorption knee pumps and stuff; mostly I just ended up a big tumblin' snow ball with ski parts sticking out of it.  In fact, the only time I was ever almost hurt from a fall was the morning after a snow storm, and the frigid winds carried ground spray just dense and high enough to utterly hide a field of moguls that lay in my path, as I approached at 'too fast'.  Jesus, ...I think I may have even pulled off a half a daffy before I realized what was going on. I almost get the distinct impression that if I didn't I might have pulled it out.  

Fun day though. My buddy and I were tucked on one run just for kicks and giggles, and I look over ...then down, and he's no longer on his skis.   It all happened so fast... He turns his head toward me and goes, "whooo hooo", and sees me looking down at his feet. This enticed him to look down, and when he noticed he was no longer on his skis, he too become a snow ball.  Awesome. It's like he would have been fine if no one told him. haha.  Man, still makes me laugh -

Very similar to up here, at least in my part of the Merrimack Valley, Andover, Methuen, Lawrence...very similar. Still have piles and in the shadey area maybe 3-4"...most of it has been wiped clear. Grass showing up everywhere. Getting ready to rake the lawn.

I have more than that......more than double.

Down in Lakeville today moving my GF out.... Virtually no snow outside of piles

ughh man real sorry to hear.  I went through the same thing in November...worst period of my life and I'm still trying to get over it...although I think I'm doing better now.  If you need someone to talk to at all or shoot off some steam feel free to shoot me a PM anytime.  

Just looking at pictures from this time previous years vs. this year.

2014 at this point is nearly identical.

2013 was melted out, just a few patches

2012 100% melted out

2011 mostly melted, but a bit better than 2013

2010 100% melted

2009 Couldn't find pic with evidence

2008 Still a pretty good pack, best year.

how much did you get yesterday? i was up in CON, not much there. but on 93 south before the toll booth (on top of the hill) it was pounding snow

Ortho spray treat them.. But I would hold off till the glacier melts. There's probably quite a bit more to get. Though it's pretty early for clover. Could it be creeping Charlie?

Ortho CCO (clover, chickweed, oxalis) is the exact product you need. Couple treatments about 2 weeks apart will take it out. Could be creeping Charlie like kevin said which is a nasty little devil. Same treatment for that though. Definitely wait until spraying until all snow is gone and ground temps warm a bit.

how much did you get yesterday? i was up in CON, not much there. but on 93 south before the toll booth (on top of the hill) it was pounding snow

I was out in Maine all day so I didn't see it fall or how much there was before melting occurred.  When I returned at night there was about 1/2 inch on the shaded side of the driveway and evidence of plowing on the road from earlier.

Archived