bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole obsession with the snow pack is getting extremely weird.  Every 5-minutes people are checking and measuring and are still surprised by what they see...it's almost as if everyone thinks it's supposed to all evaporate away in the matter of hours.  Of course there is still a crap ton of snow in many places...we really haven't had much time of "prime snow melting" days.  

The whole obsession with the snow pack is getting extremely weird.  Every 5-minutes people are checking and measuring and are still surprised by what they see...it's almost as if everyone thinks it's supposed to all evaporate away in the matter of hours.  Of course there is still a crap ton of snow in many places...we really haven't had much time of "prime snow melting" days.  

Given the date, it's anomalous, which is why it's interesting.

Don't get me started.  I get PMs from people that hate it, and I'm suppose to think I'm being too critical?  whatever... especially when it's so obvious.  It transcends obsession, because if one is "obsessed" with being a good writer, or good at math, or good at singing, or public speaking, or a sport ... those are things you can practice toward a meaningful goal -- to transcend the limitations of self, and become something more.  

But obsession over something one has absolutely no control over? ...Well, it is weird actually. It's a very good word for it. And while I don't intend to point anyone out, I do think that because such is so pervasive here (as to outnumber those into "weather" for all its concepts and facets) we are forced to conclude that it is in a way become a consortium for those that can hang out with those of the same ilk.  Hey, the upshot is..it shows that no matter how unusual one may think they are, there is bound to be a group out there that represents their same ah...shall we say, focus.   

The only reason I pop off ever now and then, and come off as heavy handed and well ...angry, is when I am attempting objective Meteorology on a f weather forum of all things, and immediately ensues pages of response parade impugning my insights, in the politest way possible. As if that's still not trolling...

But, hey... I suppose if one doesn't like it badly enough, they can always go away :) and do something a bit more rational with their time.  And not to be a hypocrite, come mid October(s), I'm just as gung ho for winter as the next person. Although, I got a kick out of 2012, just because in my own weirdness, when things are bad, I tend want to see just how bad it can get... haha    

Given the date, it's anomalous, which is why it's interesting.

is there really a need to measure every other hour and then be surprised?  

Is it anomalous?  Sure it is but look at the pattern we have been in.  It's really not surprising the snow is sticking around much longer than usual. 

Don't get me started.  I get PMs from people that hate it, and I'm suppose to think I'm being too critical?  whatever... especially when it's so obvious.  It transcends obsession, because if one is "obsessed" with being a good writer, or good at math, or good at singing, or public speaking, or a sport ... those are things you can practice toward a meaningful goal -- to transcend the limitations of self, and become something more.  

But obsession over something one has absolutely no control over? ...Well, it is weird actually. It's a very good word for it. And while I don't intend to point anyone out, I do think that because such is so pervasive here (as to outnumber those into "weather" for all its concepts and facets) we are forced to conclude that it is in a way become a consortium for those that can hang out with those of the same ilk.  Hey, the upshot is..it shows that no matter how unusual one may think they are, there is bound to be a group out there that represents their same ah...shall we say, focus.   

The only reason I pop off ever now and then, and come off as heavy handed and well ...angry, is when I am attempting objective Meteorology on a f weather forum of all things, and immediately ensues pages of response parade impugning my insights, in the politest way possible. As if that's still not trolling...

But, hey... I suppose if one doesn't like it badly enough, they can always go away :) and do something a bit more rational with their time.  And not to be a hypocrite, come mid October(s), I'm just as gung ho for winter as the next person. Although, I got a kick out of 2012, just because in my own weirdness, when things are bad, I tend want to see just how bad it can get... haha    

it's just the fact that every few hours there is some sort of measurement going on and then everyone all shocked the pack has only diminished by "x" amount.  When you measure a million times in a small window of course there is going to be little change...except if you have high temps, high dews, both, rain, fog...whatever...which is something we haven't had much of.

is there really a need to measure every other hour and then be surprised?  

Is it anomalous?  Sure it is but look at the pattern we have been in.  It's really not surprising the snow is sticking around much longer than usual. 

Well I'm staring at the output of an anomalous pattern. We're watching the dying remnants of a stretch not likely to be seen in our lifetimes, maybe that contributes to it :lol:

Severe isn't happening anytime soon, so who cares?

The whole obsession with the snow pack is getting extremely weird. Every 5-minutes people are checking and measuring and are still surprised by what they see...it's almost as if everyone thinks it's supposed to all evaporate away in the matter of hours. Of course there is still a crap ton of snow in many places...we really haven't had much time of "prime snow melting" days.

Some might say an obsession with a "see text" in New England is weird. Just sayin

It was awful

It's coming soon to all of us, but hopefully we have some above normal progs to soften the blows in a couple weeks.

It was amazing driving home from Sunapee, minimal snowpack across the Merrimack valley in MA especially, all the way down to northern suburbs of BOS. It's a different world here and especially a bit SE of here. Then another dead zone in Bristol county.

It's coming soon to all of us, but hopefully we have some above normal progs to soften the blows in a couple weeks.

It was amazing driving home from Sunapee, minimal snowpack across the Merrimack valley in MA especially, all the way down to northern suburbs of BOS. It's a different world here and especially a bit SE of here. Then another dead zone in Bristol county.

I just need it to hang around until the 12th. Then it can torch

Completely different.  see text is correlated with a type of weather that may occur.

It is still a weather-related obsession. A lot of people love snow because of how it makes the landscape look.

We also have people obsessed with their lawns and a lawn and garden thread every year...hey, that's what they like...you like the idea of a few cumulus clouds ballooning up enough for a rumble of thunder and a 30 mph wind gust...each might think the other's obsession is a bit strange, but that is why we are on this forum.

It is still a weather-related obsession. A lot of people love snow because of how it makes the landscape look.

We also have people obsessed with their lawns and a lawn and garden thread every year...hey, that's what they like...you like the idea of a few cumulus clouds ballooning up enough for a rumble of thunder and a 30 mph wind gust...each might think the other's obsession is a bit strange, but that is why we are on this forum.

well this has been fun but I'll stop with the epic trolling.  Man this was pure gold.  

I have an avg of 7" left......still an areavof 16" in my neighbor's yard. Don't think the area near main roads is representative.

Archived