joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

?? You're in a decent spot relatively speaking. Curious why you say that. I mean you aren't Bethel ME, but shoot...you do fairly well.

Yeah I don't get that either.

Unless he talking about trying to stay colder on a raging cutter up through Buffalo...where places like Greenfield might avoid the worst of the torch...but that is an extreme example. Overall, N ORH county is a good spot for CAD...granted it's probably a bit better to his east on the other side of the spine on the east slopes...but it's still pretty good up there.

That just looks like the sfc front to me.

Well semantics...a frontal boundary that develops and tugs cold air back S/SW.

CADish look at that point. Early in the day is just light southerly flow, so agreed on that part. This is also just the NAM...the other models we're further NW and don't tug the cold back S as early.

Yeah I don't get that either.

Unless he talking about trying to stay colder on a raging cutter up through Buffalo...where places like Greenfield might avoid the worst of the torch...but that is an extreme example. Overall, N ORH county is a good spot for CAD...granted it's probably a bit better to his east on the other side of the spine on the east slopes...but it's still pretty good up there.

Compared to MPM and Hippie it isn't great. I also think even Westminster does better

I sometimes count on CAD and it loses out on a warm push. Not as great as I used to think

meanwhile...

The global average surface temperature in January 2015 was +0.75oC above the long term average, according to NASA. This makes the month the second warmest January – behind 2007 (+0.93oC) - on the records maintained by the agency which date back to 1880.

The global average surface temperature in February 2015 was +0.79oC above the long term average, according to NASA. This was 0.04oC warmer than the January and makes the month the second warmest February – behind 1998 (+0.86oC) - on the records maintained by the agency which date back to 1880.

The U.S.'s GL to NE verification spanning last winter, through much of last summer, and throughout much of this recent winter, are clearly negative outliers compared to the rest of the World.  

I used to own a cat.  When she was frightened ... she would often hide her head inside a paper bag, or a box ... leaving her entire ass-end sticking out.  She thought she was safe and out of sight in her little world inside that paper bag.  

While not entirely the same thing ... we do at times sounds as though we speak in entitled tenths', as though we've had our heads nicely tucked inside enabled little worlds where we don't know how lucky we have been the last couple of years.  It seems the predominant signal that has managed to evade just our private little sector of the world is/are winter(s) more like 2012. This image below says it all...  and count your lucky stars that ur winter arses have been kissed..

giss_1_nmaps.gif

meanwhile...

The global average surface temperature in January 2015 was +0.75oC above the long term average, according to NASA. This makes the month the second warmest January – behind 2007 (+0.93oC) - on the records maintained by the agency which date back to 1880.

The global average surface temperature in February 2015 was +0.79oC above the long term average, according to NASA. This was 0.04oC warmer than the January and makes the month the second warmest February – behind 1998 (+0.86oC) - on the records maintained by the agency which date back to 1880.

The U.S.'s GL to NE verification spanning last winter, through much of last summer, and throughout much of this recent winter, are clearly negative outliers compared to the rest of the World.  

I used to own a cat.  When she was frightened ... she would often hide her head inside a paper bag, or a box ... leaving her entire ass-end sticking out.  She thought she was safe and out of sight in her little world inside that paper bag.  

While not entirely the same thing ... we do at times sounds as though we speak in entitled tenths', as though we've had our heads nicely tucked inside enabled little worlds where we don't know how lucky we have been the last couple of years.  It seems the predominant signal that has managed to evade just our private little sector of the world is/are winter(s) more like 2012. This image below says it all...  and count your lucky stars that ur winter arses have been kissed..

Mid-latitude winters in the N Hemisphere actually have a pretty noticeable cooling trend in the past 25-30 years...mostly due to the -AO trend...this year, we got lucky as a positive AO torched a lot of the N Hemisphere, but not our area.

boreal_wintert.jpg

http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/7/1/014007/pdf/1748-9326_7_1_014007.pdf

1951-1980 was a pretty cold time too. To have those blues stand out is impressive. Interesting time period to use there. :lol:

GISS was started in like 1981 or something, so they used the 30 year period preceding it. Hadcrut uses 1961-1990 since I think they didn't really start computing their dataset until the early 1990s.

Regardless, February 2015 was a warmth month globally but we had record cold regionally...obviously shows you how the variability is orders of magnitude greater than the backround trend.

GISS was started in like 1981 or something, so they used the 30 year period preceding it. Hadcrut uses 1961-1990 since I think they didn't really start computing their dataset until the early 1990s.

Regardless, February 2015 was a warmth month globally but we had record cold regionally...obviously shows you how the variability is orders of magnitude greater than the backround trend.

Yeah, true....not to downplay the warming..but those were cold times too. 

Yeah, true....not to downplay the warming..but those were cold times too. 

You can actually make your own trend maps on GISS website...like here is an updated version of the one I posted above...to include the last 5 years:

nmaps.gif

You can actually make your own trend maps on GISS website...like here is an updated version of the one I posted above...to include the last 5 years:

nmaps.gif

See that's pretty cool. I'll have to play around with that site, while arguments for Tds of 69 vs 71 happen in a couple of months. 

That has been mentioned a bunch this season

An ice cube in a pot of scalding tea

lol.

"Last week the National Snow and Ice Data Center announced that less sea ice formed in the Arctic this winter than at any other time in the 35-year satellite record. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, meanwhile, announced that globally, the winter of 2014–15 was the warmest ever—except on the East Coast of the United States and in parts of West Africa and Western Europe, all areas that that saw unusually cool or cold weather."

I will say for not getting into the big events except for the Jan blizzard...your pack did really well.

well this area never hit the jack , but we did very well in every event. I mean there's been 100-105 inches in and around here. We were far enough east to get good to heavy snow from every storm while the valley often got shafted. 34-36 inch pack at its peak .. So we got the meat.Once we got that sleet and Zr into it that one event, it really locked it up. Then all the rain that froze into it.

lol.

"Last week the National Snow and Ice Data Center announced that less sea ice formed in the Arctic this winter than at any other time in the 35-year satellite record. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, meanwhile, announced that globally, the winter of 2014–15 was the warmest ever—except on the East Coast of the United States and in parts of West Africa and Western Europe, all areas that that saw unusually cool or cold weather."

Well the good news is that we are doing better in the multi year ice dept. That is a better gauge than the thawing and refreezing of things like ice around the periphery. Losing the multi year ice would be a much worse thing.

Well the good news is that we are doing better in the multi year ice dept. That is a better gauge than the thawing and refreezing of things like ice around the periphery. Losing the multi year ice would be a much worse thing.

Yeah I get what you're saying. Amazing though how it can be the warmest winter on record worldwide and still cause the coldest February on record in the Eastern US, lol.

Yeah I get what you're saying. Amazing though how it can be the warmest winter on record worldwide and still cause the coldest February on record in the Eastern US, lol.

The variability dwarfs the backround trend...globally, we're talking tenths of a degree celsius warmer than the mid-20th century.

The variability is more than an order of magnitude greater than that on a month to month or season to season basis. So that's why we still get record cold at times.

Archived