• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

Oh goody - more cirrus sniffing for NNE?  I think the last winter in which latitude favored NNE compared to climo was 2008-09; maybe we're still paying for 07-08 when latitude was king.

Yeah it's been a while for us in terms of having the better anomalies relative to the rest of the northeast.

Yea, some regression after 2008 and 2009, but I think you guys will go back on a run after next year.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today they lay to rest the Tolland DPW worker tragically killed last week. Tremendous support. There are trucks from just about every town in CT. The Green is gridlock . Media everywhere

70D82818-176C-4B07-916E-F77E7CF81FB9_zps

Just saw DPW trucks from Dedham and Needham , Ma. They came from all over. There literally are hundreds of Dpw trucks in three different parking areas

what a sad story that is.  So random, you never know when it's your last day.

I mean 2 guys out repairing potholes..that have known each other and worked together for years..and the driver accidentally backs the truck over his friend repairing a pothole. I would not be able to live with myself . just a tragedy..and one that none should have to deal with

Just saw DPW trucks from Dedham and Needham , Ma. They came from all over. There literally are hundreds of Dpw trucks in three different parking areas

Here's a story and some additional pictures:

http://www.wfsb.com/story/28610715/tolland-public-works-worker-to-be-laid-to-rest-today?autostart=true

Here's the one on Ryan's station:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Funeral-Today-for-Tolland-Worker-Killed-Patching-Potholes-297500371.html

One more

Public Works crews from across New England to honor fellow worker killed in Tolland

By WTNH.com StaffPublished:  March 25, 2015, 9:30 am   Updated:  March 25, 2015, 9:31 am
  • workzone-safety.jpg?w=640(File) Related Coverage

TOLLAND, Conn. (WTNH) — A Public Works employee will get quite a send off Wednesday.

Public Works departments from around the state and across New England will be in Connecticut today for David Ridzon’s funeral in Tolland. He was killed on the job last week while doing road maintenance.

Today, the Tolland Green will be lined by at least 400 Public Works employees in their yellow safety jackets. A fleet of 100 dump trucks will accompany Ridzon to his final resting place.

Ridzon’s funeral will be held at the United Congregational Church at 10:00 a.m.

There is a national campaign happening this week that is dedicated to keeping road workers safe on the road. Ridzon’s tragic death serves as a good reminder to slow down and “obey the orange.”

In your sunny yard..it should be nice and limp and soft

It isn't yet. I did get a 17 and 21 in the backyard but the old holes almost look covered up. Neighbor across street still with nearly 23". My front will take a bit today. A lot if it will be below 10 I bet or close to it where it's very sunny. I am shocked at the tenacity of this snow.

Yea, some regression after 2008 and 2009, but I think you guys will go back on a run after next year.

2006-2007 was better here than elsewhere relatively...we were solidly above normal snow all from the second half.

The run up here from 2000-2009 was pretty epic on the whole, no surprise we now have had 4 of 5 winters below normal.

I need to find a source for a replacement ruler.  The numbers and lines are starting to wear off below 2".  The one I have is a NWS issued ruler that is broken down into tenths of an inch and is 39".  Does anyone know where they get these from or where I could get a new one?  Mine is about 25 years old now....lol.

It isn't yet. I did get a 17 and 21 in the backyard but the old holes almost look covered up. Neighbor across street still with nearly 23". My front will take a bit today. A lot if it will be below 10 I bet or close to it where it's very sunny. I am shocked at the tenacity of this snow.

The thing that seems to happen..and I guess there's a scientific reason...but the longer the snowpack is OTG..the longer it seems to want to stay and not melt.  Like when you get a new snowfall on bare ground..it seems to melt pretty quickly the first chase ti gets..but the longer the pack is intact..it just doesn't give up. 

those are some impressive pics Marshall.   Let's see some Sat am after the torch-will be curious to see what survives.

-

Did you add that addition to the side of the house or was it there before you came along?

The main house was built in the 80s. Since then there have been 2 additions both of which were put on by the previous owner. They also filled in the above ground pool.

My highest reading is a 19" in 100% shade. 

Most are in the 10-15" range.

I'm  not shocked at the tenactiy....every other time in this stage, it's been relatively new fluff/paste....this is pure ice at this point.

The thing that seems to happen..and I guess there's a scientific reason...but the longer the snowpack is OTG..the longer it seems to want to stay and not melt.  Like when you get a new snowfall on bare ground..it seems to melt pretty quickly the first chase ti gets..but the longer the pack is intact..it just doesn't give up. 

Exactly....stands to reason that the more melting/refreezing cycles that a pack endures, the more the consistency tends to resemble that of solid ice...which is more resistant to the absorption of the solar irradiance.

Exactly....stands to reason that the more melting/refreezing cycles that a pack endures, the more the consistency tends to resemble that of solid ice...which is more resistant to the absorption of the solar irradiance.

It's the water content. As you compact it , the density is greater and takes more solar energy to melt as you stated. Still, I'm impressed. First time I've ever seen a snowpack like this in my life down this way. I don't count 4/1/97 as that isn't my thinking of a "snowpack" more like a "snowfall."

It's all about water equivalent in the pack. 18" of fairly fluffy snow from 2 or 3 events will probably only have 1.5" of water in it...give us a 3 day torch and sayonara.

A pack that is 18" but was once 30"+ and has absorbed a few rain events has like 6-7" of water in it...that's going to take way more energy to melt.

It's the water content. As you compact it , the density is greater and takes more solar energy to melt as you stated. Still, I'm impressed. First time I've ever seen a snowpack like this in my life down this way. I don't count 4/1/97 as that isn't my thinking of a "snowpack" more like a "snowfall."

Yea, both. 

More an issue of water content, which is obviously greater with ice as opposed to snow.

Exactly....stands to reason that the more melting/refreezing cycles that a pack endures, the more the consistency tends to resemble that of solid ice...which is more resistant to the absorption of the solar irradiance.

That's how glaciers form, lol.  My side yard is a hill that doesn't get much sun and it borders part of my driveway and the ice keeps creeping onto the driveway so my wife says that we're starting a glacier.  It's going to go down the Willimantic River valley lol.

It's all about water equivalent in the pack. 18" of fairly fluffy snow from 2 or 3 events will probably only have 1.5" of water in it...give us a 3 day torch and sayonara.

A pack that is 18" but was once 30"+ and has absorbed a few rain events has like 6-7" of water in it...that's going to take way more energy to melt.

Just keep that warm sector south

Archived