joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The variability dwarfs the backround trend...globally, we're talking tenths of a degree celsius warmer than the mid-20th century.

The variability is more than an order of magnitude greater than that on a month to month or season to season basis. So that's why we still get record cold at times.

I've been impressed with the cold the past two years. It had been a while since I felt it was really cold during a sustained period of the winter. Maybe back to 2004 when I was at UVM? Definitely starting to put a dent in this areas positive departures over the past ten years.

I'd also say this part of the state is very good if you like snow. I guess NW Ct is number one, since they retain cold a bit better and can cash in on LES, but in some ways I like this area better especially for coastals that sometimes NW CT is too far west for.

We've also been in a run the past few seasons where the coastals have been further east...NW CT can do fine in coastals if we get into a run of tuckie tuckies over a few seasons. Some seasons it seems to be like PA/NY/interior New England that get the coastal track, other years it's the coastal plain of New England.

I bet the amount of snow they get from LES is a very small percentage of their annual snow...they just have more widespread high terrain and are further NW into the interior which will average you more snow in SNE.

I'd also say this part of the state is very good if you like snow. I guess NW Ct is number one, since they retain cold a bit better and can cash in on LES, but in some ways I like this area better especially for coastals that sometimes NW CT is too far west for.

Well you also sort of cashed in a bit on some of those s of the pike deals. That helps. Otherwise it may be lower for sure.

It was fun having the snow around for so long and so deep. However, I wouldn't trade that in as a substitute for getting large events. I'm just made more for the storms themselves..not the pack.  I know you don't feel that way..but there is no better rush for me, than a large event. 

Well this is what we go into it with . Have been promised it's not all gone. . I stand firm that it is

I don't know why I bother, but....

If it's more than 10" on the ground, you'll have something left.  We went through something similar in 2011 and only lost 8".  Even then it took a month for everything to go away.

We've also been in a run the past few seasons where the coastals have been further east...NW CT can do fine in coastals if we get into a run of tuckie tuckies over a few seasons. Some seasons it seems to be like PA/NY/interior New England that get the coastal track, other years it's the coastal plain of New England.

I bet the amount of snow they get from LES is a very small percentage of their annual snow...they just have more widespread high terrain and are further NW into the interior which will average you more snow in SNE.

I'd choose Norfolk , Ct to live in if it had a social life and was't 50 miles away from civilization and any men with short hair. Best for snow and severe in the state bar none

I don't know why I bother, but....

If it's more than 10" on the ground, you'll have something left.  We went through something similar in 2011 and only lost 8".  Even then it took a month for everything to go away.

I'm not trolling. I just happen to believe we lose most of it. i've seen these kinds of setups too many times

I'm not trolling. I just happen to believe we lose most of it. i've seen these kinds of setups too many times

I think you'll have snow left...but if it's like 3-6" left that's going to be some ripe snow. Then all it'll take from there is a few sunny days in the 30s and 40s.

The main trick is going to get it to freeze solid again right after. If a water-logged snowpack rots at like 35-40F for another day or so before getting a hard freeze, this will do a lot of damage.

Mid-latitude winters in the N Hemisphere actually have a pretty noticeable cooling trend in the past 25-30 years...mostly due to the -AO trend...this year, we got lucky as a positive AO torched a lot of the N Hemisphere, but not our area.

boreal_wintert.jpg

http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/7/1/014007/pdf/1748-9326_7_1_014007.pdf

I'm not sure why NASA's using 1951 - 1980 to compare present day months against.. That seems oddly outmoded and even questionable for pure scientific reasons to use that in application.   It may be that they are not a Meteorologically focused org?  But that's a silly explanation, too, when we consider the big picture, and that NCEP / NASA ....f'n NORAD for that matter, they should all be on the same page. 

I was taught in college about "30 year rolling averages..."   1980 is 35 years ago, so obviously there's been nothing rolling forward about that!  

Be that as it may, I think that North America has unique features about it that tends to enhance 'hemispheric cold conveyor', particularly when the Pacific is in that AA phase like it was for much of the winter. Get that EPO even hinting at a NW loading pattern and away she goes...  This year and last for that matter ... benefited from a nearly ideal conveyor (speaking in terms of balancing heat source /sinks that is....) 

As to the AO ... yeah, it is argued based purely upon the multi-decadal observation, that the AO should be negative more than positive for the next 10 to 15 years.  So far, last year and this?  We seem to be batting 0.00 on that... ha. Anyway, EPO delivers winter again.. It seems pretty clear that whether they are stupid or not for using that older climate series in their comparison, cannot really deny that layout of temp anomalies matching perfectly with a -EPO bias.  That's ...pretty incredible there actually. 

I think you'll have snow left...but if it's like 3-6" left that's going to be some ripe snow. Then all it'll take from there is a few sunny days in the 30s and 40s.

The main trick is going to get it to freeze solid again right after. If a water-logged snowpack rots at like 35-40F for another day or so before getting a hard freeze, this will do a lot of damage.

Friday is a rot day.

I foresee mostly grass in NE CT hilly areas with patches of snow where it drifted/woods/along rock walls etc.. and partial coverage of yards on North facing slopes. Whatever is left freezes up early Fri nite and then we'll probably whiten things up again Saturday

John, Will explained why. GISS needs that 30 yr period as they started in 1981.

Oh, ha - I didn't see that.  Sorry Will...   

Well, that explains that, then... Okay, so we can also then question that usefulness of that comparison, either way.  I mean, it may not be their fault, but that doesn't atone for the questionable usefulness of using an old series against a current theme. 

I think NASA should be more audible about that potential disparity -- funny they really go out of their way to nest that Notable in their actual product dissemination. There point about warmth may still be valid regardless of whether the 50th parallel happens to be antithetic.  

Its fine if you have something to add, but when they come in here to whine, complain and start trouble Theres no need for it

I'm just a lurker/newbie so excuse me for chiming in, but I found this post quite funny because it seems that's all you do in this forum. Enjoy your 50's.

A bit of a surprise here with a burst of snow and sleet with that initial burst of WAA precipitation thanks to dry air and wet bulbing. It started as rain, but it quickly flipped to sleet and then snow. Right now it's a sleet/snow mix with big gloppy flakes. It won't last long, but it is a nice surprise.

post-48-0-14707700-1427322428_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-00316100-1427322434_thumb.jpg

Friday is a rot day.

Yeah even up here it's going to be 35-40 below 1500ft. Probably like 32F and freezing up at the office and 37F in town.

Friday will be the day you really nice it...we have a lot of bare ground in sunny roadside spots and under evergreens. Then you go to a flat yard and it's still like 18".

Archived