1/25-1/26 Snow Threat

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CLASSIC MILLER  B

Anlogs  are     FEB 8-10  1969....  FEB 5-7  1978   DEC   302000

all 3  events   were   screw  jobs for most of MD  and   VA 

The gradient across the area was huge for the 78 event, Greenbelt got around 6 inches,  BWI got more than that and so did Annapolis.  I think one of those two had double digits if I remember correctly. DCA ended up with a whopping inch.  The euro scenario is still a low probability one but is not an impossible solution. 

we know...we've all been through this scenario a bunch of times...It is new to nobody here

Right and there is nothing to say this can't trend a little better...we have a low developing south of us and cold 850s and 2m with an improved Euro run...at three three pretty solid ingredients going into happy hour

the GFS   run that had  NO precip   just  a    1000  mb  somewhre off the coast?

that GFS ?

The Euro is sometimes too far west with these types of setups. Canadian is a good compromise between the two, although I am hoping for a solution west of the Euro.

It was a better run but that back edge is still way to close for me. The big bomb idea also means someone gets screwed with the transfer. I know everyone assumes the west trend continues abs it could but it could just as easily jump east next run too. I like the ggem idea of the primary staying strong and just bowling through and a slower developing coastal. Less high end potential but less bust also.

It was a better run but that back edge is still way to close for me. The big bomb idea also means someone gets screwed with the transfer. I know everyone assumes the west trend continues abs it could but it could just as easily jump east next run too. I like the ggem idea of the primary staying strong and just bowling through and a slower developing coastal. Less high end potential but less bust also.

If the model had you at 1.5" of liquid you'd stil be worried about the edge.

not gonna happen chief.  very unlikely DC gets more snow than IAD....just saying from 38 winters in the area, doesn't work that way most of teh time.  i don't really care about RIC, whole nother world down there.  

This isnt about DC vs IAD. Bigger picture chief. DC gets screwed in alot of set ups. Storms do occur that deliver more snow east of both those locations. Maybe you slept through those.

Agreed. Most of us will probably end up much less disappointed with the GGEM scenario.

On the razor's edge for sure and that usually doesn't bode well here. The only good think about that is it helps temper expectations. Could we get a complete shutout if this ramps like the Euro depicted? 

Unlikely. The strength and slp track of the clipper is pretty good. Accum snow before any transfer/bombing is pretty likely and supported by all guidance. 

IMO- the only way we get a meaningful hit from redevelopment is the trough going neutral then negative before it clears the coast. Even though h5 is closed off at our latitude, getting precip back further west will be tough unless we get the tilt going early. Which is probably not very likely. 

Unlikely. The strength and slp track of the clipper is pretty good. Accum snow before any transfer/bombing is pretty likely and supported by all guidance. 

IMO- the only way we get a meaningful hit from redevelopment is the trough going neutral then negative before it clears the coast. Even though h5 is closed off at our latitude, getting precip back further west will be tough unless we get the tilt going early. Which is probably not very likely. 

Can you tell how much precip the Euro gives us before the coastal? 

My 2pm update for DC proper

https://www.facebook.com/HeadfulOfSnow

There are a three different scenarios on the table. Keep in mind, my confidence level for all 3 is medium at best.

Scenario 1 - We get light snow starting late Sunday evening or overnight, and ending Monday evening. 1-3"

Scenario 2 - We get 1-2" in part 1 (see above). But then we get a "2nd round" from the deepening coastal storm starting Monday evening and lasting into Tuesday morning. This scenario would give us 4"+ total. We have failed many times at getting wraparound from a coastal, so we need to be bearish on this.

Scenario 3 - We get no help from the coastal and the front end is too dry - 1"

Right now I lean toward a blend of 1 and 2, but leaning toward 1. So if you forced me to make a forecast for DC right now, I would say 2-3".

WPC has given a model diagnostic discussion on the ECMWF:

CLIPPER-TYPE SYSTEM EVOLVING INTO A NOR'EASTER MON/TUE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~PREFERENCE: UKMET/CANADIAN COMPROMISECONFIDENCE: BELOW AVERAGETHERE IS UNCERTAINTY WITH THIS SYSTEM, WITH SOME OF IT INTRODUCEDBY AN UPSTREAM SHORTWAVE STREAKING NEAR THE GREAT LAKES AND SOMEINTRODUCED BY ITS BURGEONING SIZE OF THE OVERALL SYSTEM AS ITAPPROACHES THE NORTHEAST/NEW ENGLAND.  THE 12Z GFS IS THESTRONGEST/MOST CONSOLIDATED ALOFT.  THE 12Z ECMWF USES WHATAPPEARS TO BE A CONVECTIVE FEEDBACK BULL'S EYE AT 60-66HOURS/MONDAY NIGHT TO DRAG ITS SURFACE LOW DUE NORTH ONCE ITEMERGES OFF CAPE HATTERAS, WHICH LOOKS UNREALISTIC.  WITH AT LEASTTWO NOTABLE SHORTWAVES MERGING TO CREATE THIS LARGE SYSTEM, ITCOULD TAKE A WHILE TO CONSOLIDATE ALOFT, IMPLYING THE GFS ISPROBABLY TOO DEEP ALOFT.  THE TREND IN THE ECMWF IS TOWARDS A MORESOUTHERLY SYSTEM, WHILE THE ECMWF/GFS/UKMET HAVE TRENDED STRONGERALOFT OVER THEIR PAST DAY OR SO OF RUNS, WHICH HAS FORCED AWESTWARD TREND AT THE SURFACE.  WITH THE STRENGTHENING TRENDALOFT/WESTERLY SURFACE CYCLONE TRACK TREND, THE 00Z GLOBALENSEMBLE GUIDANCE APPEARS TO HAVE LITTLE UTILITY TODAY.  ACOMPROMISE OF THE 12Z GFS/12Z ECMWF, CLOSE TO THE 12Z UKMET/12ZCANADIAN, IS PREFERRED WITH BELOW AVERAGE CONFIDENCE DUE TO THELARGE DAY-T0-DAY CHANGES SEEN IN THE DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE.

Archived