Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/25-1/26 Snow Threat

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Don't care at all what happens in SNE if I can get a decent long duration type deal. With the qpf depiction, is that enough for low end warning snow? 

It might seem weenie since I like snow and maybe it is but I'd probably go with GFS thru the time the coastal starts to rip and then switch to Euro type solution. I guess the front runner strong vort on the GFS could disappear but it looked almost identical to 0z thru our money period.

Are the models really that much drier/ showing a shorter duration event  than they were yesterday? Its seems the major change is that NE is looking more likely to get a coastal. But since that was never really on the table for this area anyway, its hard to get disappointed. I'll easily take a 2-4 or 3-5 inch long duration event.

gymengineer's analogs make me feel a lot better :)

1/22 was a disappointment with the dryslot but wasn't that terrible overall. The others were a sweet deal for the Baltimore area

Those were from a few days ago based on 500-mb matches. Don't take them verbatim. All they indicated was an elevated chance of moderate snow for our region this coming Monday.

Are the models really that much drier/ showing a shorter duration event  than they were yesterday? Its seems the major change is that NE is looking more likely to get a coastal. But since that was never really on the table for this area anyway, its hard to get disappointed. I'll easily take a 2-4 or 3-5 inch long duration event.

It's the verbatim Euro solution from the 0Z run for our region that is freaking out everyone. Even the NAM isn't that different to the GFS for what happens in our area.

It's the verbatim Euro solution from the 0Z run for our region that is freaking out everyone. Even the NAM isn't that different to the GFS for what happens in our area.

Except for the way it happens on the NAM as psuhoffman eloquently put it. But the nam fails consistently at 12 hours so..

Current early stage of this system in SK on radar (MT and ND are in the lower portions of this map)

http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=XBE

It is raining and 36 F at Weyburn SK which is quite unusual for January. The developing low has taken in some abundant Pacific moisture (my location saw 3 inches of rain yesterday) and so the low is off to a good start in terms of available moisture.

As the weak bubble of arctic high drops further southeast over the weekend and interacts with the bombing out east coast low and the snow cover left by that storm in n NJ and se NY, I believe it will work in your favor by feeding in somewhat colder air than might be anticipated otherwise as the Midwest low approaches.

I like the RGEM depiction and figure that the low will gradually redevelop in a southeastward push overnight Sun-Mon which will allow the filtering cold air to keep drifting further south towards RIC and this may make some of the sleet or rain depictions on various models erroneous by Monday morning as all snow develops almost right to the ORF coastal region. However, the heavier snow will be north of a secondary arctic frontal boundary which will stall just south of DCA to north of Ocean City. This will become the focus for moderate snow and accumulations of 4-8 inches seem quite possible, 6-10 if the system keeps feeding Atlantic moisture back for a prolonged period during its rapid development phase late Monday.

To recap for snowfall predictions, would say 2-4" central VA, 4-6" DC metro and central MD into s/c DE, 6-8" northern and western higher suburban areas over to BWI and extending into southern tier of counties in PA, but mixing reduction into s NJ so back to 3-5" there. Local 8-12 on higher terrain in e WV and n VA, w MD.

I expect this might be on the higher side of most guidance or forecasts but remain optimistic, the earlier clipper had less moisture and a much shallower structure, and this one already has plenty of moisture along for the ride. What it loses to orographic lift it will more than regain from Atlantic inflow. The key I think is that a cold surface flow is well supported by height and thickness trends as well as that snow cover laid down to your northeast overnight. (N NJ 5-9 inches).

There is also the very good time of day factor that the storm is slumping and repositioning its frontal boundaries during the late overnight hours. The max on Sunday whether 45, 50 or whatever won't be a factor given the number of hours of CAA available.

(DCA 3.7 .. IAD 5.5 .. RIC 2.2 .. CHO 3.0 .. SBY 4.0 .. BWI 6.8 .. PHL 4.0 .. MDT 5.5 .. ACY 2.2)

Current early stage of this system in SK on radar (MT and ND are in the lower portions of this map)

http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=XBE

It is raining and 36 F at Weyburn SK which is quite unusual for January. The developing low has taken in some abundant Pacific moisture (my location saw 3 inches of rain yesterday) and so the low is off to a good start in terms of available moisture.

As the weak bubble of arctic high drops further southeast over the weekend and interacts with the bombing out east coast low and the snow cover left by that storm in n NJ and se NY, I believe it will work in your favor by feeding in somewhat colder air than might be anticipated otherwise as the Midwest low approaches.

I like the RGEM depiction and figure that the low will gradually redevelop in a southeastward push overnight Sun-Mon which will allow the filtering cold air to keep drifting further south towards RIC and this may make some of the sleet or rain depictions on various models erroneous by Monday morning as all snow develops almost right to the ORF coastal region. However, the heavier snow will be north of a secondary arctic frontal boundary which will stall just south of DCA to north of Ocean City. This will become the focus for moderate snow and accumulations of 4-8 inches seem quite possible, 6-10 if the system keeps feeding Atlantic moisture back for a prolonged period during its rapid development phase late Monday.

To recap for snowfall predictions, would say 2-4" central VA, 4-6" DC metro and central MD into s/c DE, 6-8" northern and western higher suburban areas over to BWI and extending into southern tier of counties in PA, but mixing reduction into s NJ so back to 3-5" there. Local 8-12 on higher terrain in e WV and n VA, w MD.

I expect this might be on the higher side of most guidance or forecasts but remain optimistic, the earlier clipper had less moisture and a much shallower structure, and this one already has plenty of moisture along for the ride. What it loses to orographic lift it will more than regain from Atlantic inflow. The key I think is that a cold surface flow is well supported by height and thickness trends as well as that snow cover laid down to your northeast overnight. (N NJ 5-9 inches).

There is also the very good time of day factor that the storm is slumping and repositioning its frontal boundaries during the late overnight hours. The max on Sunday whether 45, 50 or whatever won't be a factor given the number of hours of CAA available.

(DCA 3.7 .. IAD 5.5 .. RIC 2.2 .. CHO 3.0 .. SBY 4.0 .. BWI 6.8 .. PHL 4.0 .. MDT 5.5 .. ACY 2.2)

I am going to hug this forecast. You nailed the clipper we had on 1/6. We'll see.

I don't know about you and everyone else, but I'm kind of getting an adrenaline jolt tracking this. Just hope it doesn't all end with getting shafted (which I don't think is likely at the moment).

I'm not sure what the bar should be.

My bar is this one has ro beat 1/6 or I'll be disappointed. I got 3.8 with that one. Also, wsw criteria needs to be met somewhere in the close in burbs of either city.

We're gonna opt for a middle of the road forecast for now but I worry more about a banding boomlet bust for the CWG ideas than a whiff. I think the latter is unlikely. The GFS 500 intrigues me, it's really close to being a good solution even fro us.

Wes, do you think we have a shot at a closeoff and neutral/neg tilt as it passes underneath? The idea was there but too little too late. I'm still greedy. Lol

Archived