amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
We have a Dream MLK Disco Jan 18 Possible Wave on front

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ginxy I'm glad to hear your wife is OK. I know the people that do rescues put their full heart into doing something so wonderful, they are willing to do whatever it takes to help those animals (and be their voice). Hope everyone is doing ok.

Our dog is a rescue dog, and while I make many complaints, they are half-hearted ones and she is really a great girl and part of the family.

Had a few drops on my car as I pulled in just now.  Better run down to Greenfield and get a few provisions for the games before it gets bad.

23.0/21

Kevin, may be one of those deals where the low sort of traverses east or maybe a bit north of east along the front before rocketing north in the GOM. Probably over CT and MA and then Maine.

Ok just didn't want to shoot up into the 50's on the east side of it. Don't need that to happen. 40's are bad enough

Update they are in the Ambulance , ten people in the ambulance, she said she is ok but sore but said there are a lot of people hurt still at the scene with other ambulances. They were damn lucky to be alive.

Makes you appreciate the little things in life. Nothing is guaranteed. Im sure hugs and tears will be plentiful after this type of experience.

There's a psychological difference to me..and it will keep the ice on the lakes and ground frozen if you stay on west side of low..East sides torched. This winter that's the kind of thing you have to do in your head to keep sanity

Doesn't sound particularly sane to me.

Our dog is a rescue dog, and while I make many complaints, they are half-hearted ones and she is really a great girl and part of the family.

Had a few drops on my car as I pulled in just now. Better run down to Greenfield and get a few provisions for the games before it gets bad.

23.0/21

Same here wrt the dog. Current and last ones were rescues. She is asleep on my feet now. I am trapped

Giant red flag when NWP is spitting out broad areas of 0.01" QPF. That is QPF you should worry about when temps are in the 20s.

Also it was a pretty "easy" call that NWP were warming things up too fast in valley with minimal low level advection and impressive cold in the valleys to start. Plus ground/pavement temperatures this morning were near 10F from what I heard from DOT/public works folks.

edit: I mean that ZR forecasts are notoriously hard - but this one wasn't as hard as some. 

Also it was a pretty "easy" call that NWP were warming things up too fast in valley with minimal low level advection and impressive cold in the valleys to start. Plus ground/pavement temperatures this morning were near 10F from what I heard from DOT/public works folks.

edit: I mean that ZR forecasts are notoriously hard - but this one wasn't as hard as some.

yeah the ground is a block of ice...especially bridges. The models did pretty well with this one.

New 12z 4-km NAM...

Prints out around 1.5" total QPF at MVL, with more than half of that rain, though it ends with 6" of pure paste as thicknesses crash.  We'll see.  This may be another situation like the December cut-off where the Champlain Valley being further west could cash in more than the hills of interior VT.  Its got 8" at BTV.

New 12z 4-km NAM...

Prints out around 1.5" total QPF at MVL, with more than half of that rain, though it ends with 6" of pure paste as thicknesses crash.  We'll see.  This may be another situation like the December cut-off where the Champlain Valley being further west could cash in more than the hills of interior VT.  Its got 8" at BTV.

attachicon.gifhires_ptype_neng_6.png

attachicon.gifhires_snow_acc_neng_9.png

Giant middle finger for NH.

It's amazing what a little longitude will do. The sounding at HIE is below freezing above 3500 feet, but move to BTV and it's all snow above 1200.

What I really think needs to be done is a careful and comprehensive study on freezing drizzle soundings. I have found since I have been up here in Maine that locked and loaded freezing drizzle soundings produce light snow half the time, and the other half produce freezing drizzle. I know there are things like sea salt and the seeder feeder process that helps the snow situation out even when there is a dry layer in the mid levels. but lots of times it's far from clear.

What I really think needs to be done is a careful and comprehensive study on freezing drizzle soundings. I have found since I have been up here in Maine that locked and loaded freezing drizzle soundings produce light snow half the time, and the other half produce freezing drizzle. I know there are things like sea salt and the seeder feeder process that helps the snow situation out even when there is a dry layer in the mid levels. but lots of times it's far from clear.

Then I have precip moving in, it's 27/21 at PSM and 42/40 at Isle of Shoals. I don't need cars pinballing across the Piscatiqua River Bridge.

key,for me,was seeing that high RH early this am and the fact the weenies snow maps kept showing accumulation in CT NYC. They were seeing frozen.

That was consistently showing up on the NAM and I believe the RGEM. I had the same thought process as you.

28 here with light to moderate rain. Thin coating of ice out there.

Archived