joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
We have a Dream MLK Disco Jan 18 Possible Wave on front

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I really think needs to be done is a careful and comprehensive study on freezing drizzle soundings. I have found since I have been up here in Maine that locked and loaded freezing drizzle soundings produce light snow half the time, and the other half produce freezing drizzle. I know there are things like sea salt and the seeder feeder process that helps the snow situation out even when there is a dry layer in the mid levels. but lots of times it's far from clear.

I've often wondered why in the aftermath of a precipitation event that are marginal/sub-freezing, ...just prior to CAA, why the "mist" is sometimes really snow grains, grain/freezing mixed, or freezing drizzle -- what determines which.  

My own hypothesis is that there could be very shallow regions of undetected lift within the saturated layer, but beneath the main baroclinically driven inversion.  If there is a kind of "micro" lift, you get snow growth (grains). Otherwise, just having that saturated column cooling at a slow rate (particularly at night..) condenses super cooled drizzle proportionally.    

I told my folks to stay put for now. They are up there....your ob confirms my fear.

We have these pockets of showers now, mostly too shallow to even show up in NH. But I assumed there was something under the beam when AFN started reporting -RA.

All it takes is one of those showers to glide through and you have a skating rink.

Don't think anyone in CT except maybe far NW sees any ice. I certainly never envisioned a far west track like this when I started this thread. Thought we really had a legit shot at some white on the back

Bump. A good reminder to us mets that when DIT says no - it's time to start hyping!

Steve... I hope Cindy and her friends are doing OK. That turned really scary really fast. 

Bump. A good reminder to us mets that when DIT says no - it's time to start hyping!

Steve... I hope Cindy and her friends are doing OK. That turned really scary really fast.

hey do you have that link to that Instagram video you guys showed on the news, I just caught the end of it and heard Teaneck

We have these pockets of showers now, mostly too shallow to even show up in NH. But I assumed there was something under the beam when AFN started reporting -RA.

All it takes is one of those showers to glide through and you have a skating rink.

Yeah, just told them to wait until later this aftn or early evening hopefully.

Latest NAM into Bufkit, it like VT a lot.

4 km crushes Jay Peak, 16" (compacting down to 11.5") of pure paste, and what rain does fall is at 33. It even thumps BTV proper with 3" an hour for 3 straight hours after the flip tonight.

Any idea how it looks around Killington??? :weenie::snowman:

Update they are in the Ambulance , ten people in the ambulance, she said she is ok but sore but said there are a lot  of people hurt still at the scene with other ambulances. They were damn lucky to be alive.

Man Steve you have had some bad luck, Hopefully the wife comes out of it ok

It is going to warm up ... 14 here at my place 24 hours ago; 34F with spotty drizzle now.  

Important to note:  even though you may be at 34 or even as high as 36, any drizzle in the earlier time frames this afternoon could quite conceivably contact freeze due to the antecedent very cold temperatures.  But as the south wind really gets cranking, and with absolutely zippo boundary layer inhibition, the warm air is going to rake us all to 40 or even 50F and beyond, and with rain moderate to heavy there's no chance at all that any freezing you may get from this early time, or legitimately more, will persist.  But we all know that...  

It has become clear that this winter's preferred storm type is the freeze-rain-freeze sensible variety. For many ...that's a pain-point to opine and complain, ..allowing it to plumb their mood deeper than a root-canal ... For me, I want to know why. I find it fascinating that this keeps happening with eclat.   Other than November 26th, I don't recall any other storm type.  The patterns varied a couple different ways, with -EPO intervals... and up-down PNA, but in the end, these canvas won't take any other kind of paint, it would seem.  The NAO has certainly not helped.. .But, I think the answer to this enigma is really not that enigmatic whatsoever.  It's not JUST the NAO that is the culprit.  

The NAO being predominately positive since December 1 is correlating quite well with storm track west of the Eastern Seaboard. But how that longer term correlation breaks down, is when the PNA ....more specifically, the PNAP region of the PNA's domain, is in +phase..   That has not been the case, and the tandem -NAO with more at times -PNAP has utterly served as turbo lube on the old cosmic D. 

If you want a cause more centered in the eerie forces that cast invisible shadows of reality through the brilliant delusion of our hopes and dreams, you need to blame Scott.

Yup ... I clearly recall he and I sharing a couple posts back near the end of October, or perhaps it was earlier in November, where he exclaimed with emotive panache just how much he feared a freeze-rain-freeze pattern setting in.. It was like a ...whispering dynamism, yet thundering in a daggered applause.   You did it!  Congrats m'man.

Perhaps some kind of tribal bonfire with ceremonial garb, facial paint, while rhythmic chantings are synced up with a set of bongos is required so to conjure the spirits of our ancestors, to protect us from the shear vile raw power of Scott's insensitive remarks?  Ha, I can just visual Ray, Jerry and Steve doing pirouettes around the fires going ..."Oom gagga Oom gagga, go"

Seriously though, the ridge positioning in the west keeps coming back to that dreaded 130 W longitude, and with the flow in east being allowed to lift in latitude (+NAO), that's the ball game. It's funny, I just looked at the 384-hr, 06z GFS for schits and giggles, and gee...

post-904-0-75911100-1421598036_thumb.jpg

Look familiar ....?   

For all intents and purposes, that's the "groundhog of winter's discontent" saying, sorry folks, two more weeks of dark odes.  Question is whether to believe it. Thankfully, no 384 hour anything is worth the incredible waste of tax-dollars used to run that technology... (but who said this isn't a government operation?).

Persistence is interesting in this case though, and it very much (coming back to point) seems anchored in the +NAO/-PNAP couplet over in our side of the hemisphere.  We can -EPO dump cold like Montozuma's revenge ...it won't make any difference.  These 24- hour temperature swings of 30 F will be the dominating storm type.    

Archived