Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Jan 12 Overrunning Snow/Ice disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winds are really weak...its light SW, but it might even be almost calm at times. Euro showed pretty tough getting the sfc cold out in the interior.

The mid-levels are still really marginal in the pike to rt 2 region, so we'll have to watch that closely. We're like less than 1C from being an advisory snow on several pieces of guidance and the Euro is almost straight snow, it was a bit colder. 

This looks like a classic light mixed precip sh*t show for some though. The ground is so cold, any ZR will bond immediately. Usually the light mixed events are the worst because the light precip (esp ZR) can accrete easily.

You can have it.  We've got enough glacier.  Give me an inch or three of snow--and ip if I need to taint.

19.0/7

This looks like a classic light mixed precip sh*t show for some though. The ground is so cold, any ZR will bond immediately. Usually the light mixed events are the worst because the light precip (esp ZR) can accrete easily.

Yeah those actually cause the most issues on the roads. The light rain on cold roads...when the rain is moderate to heavy, it often pools and ponds enough to keep things unfrozen unless it's real cold, but at 31F if you can get a light rain steady enough to just wet the pavement but not so much that the rates cause standing water, that's when you'll get the most impact.

Awesome. Canadian from the other day FTW?

I will take my none to <1" and go with that.

...Won't have to gas up the snow thrower yet. Maybe this will be the year I don't use it at all.

Yeah sort of a GGEM win but there was nothing that threw a huge red flag until the NAM started trending north and warmer for consecutive runs.

Eh the back end stuff tends to never happen. The storm moves out faster than modeled and any precipitation left lingering drys out too fast. Here's to me being wrong though.

Yea I'm skeptical of those back-end totals as well... HRRR guidence has been consistently showing between 0.1-0.2" on the front end (by 1800 UTC), and we will need significantly more precip to reach those lofty totals from the RGEM.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/hrrr.php#alb ---> HRRR guidence that updates every hour. Should cover most of the northeast.

hrrr_ncep_refl_KALB_61.png

Archived