northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.... Just saw the most recent Euro and the dreaded snowfall maps. 8-12 + inches from the Shenandoah Valley north east to DC and Baltimore. We need to carefully decide who will start the "event thread" so as not to screw it up. ;)

MDstorm

DT? He has been lucky so far.

Makes sense overall. I'm not fishing for a foot IMBY that's for sure. We've still got a lot of time tho. I think many treat this range like it's getting close to a lock when it's really still on the very edge of being useful.

I agree to 100%. At this range we need to lean more on the ensembles and listen to the people here who are good at pattern recognition.

The parallel like the xmas eve storm though it still has temp issues with the low in the lakes region.

That dumb low is showing up on ops and ens. It's pretty prominent on the 12z euro ens considering the lead. And it makes sense considering the type of pattern change going on in Canada. Hopefully timing keeps the influence at bay. Total wag but I kinda doubt it goes poof.

That dumb low is showing up on ops and ens. It's pretty prominent on the 12z euro ens considering the lead. And it makes sense considering the type of pattern change going on in Canada. Hopefully timing keeps the influence at bay. Total wag but I kinda doubt it goes poof.

I believe at 10 day + range there was a lakes low showing up for the 12/20-12/21 storm too.  That has been replaced by the High pressure thanks to the 50/50.  Maybe we can get rid of that lakes low on the 12/25 storm once we get it into the shorter leads. 

ensembles have a pressing south of the cold from Canada

actually looked better (more encouraging) to me looking at the 10 day loop than when looking individually

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf-ens/2014121412/ecmwf-ens_T850_us.html

Christmas eve looks nice on the euro if big cold rain is your thing

I mentioned this earlier, the X-mas event looks like a big time cold front that ushers in the new winter pattern. You can tell the EURO 240 hours is about to tank the AO, pattern should be amazing come the 27th on.....I'm extremely pumped up right now.

I mentioned this earlier, the X-mas event looks like a big time cold front that ushers in the new winter pattern. You can tell the EURO 240 hours is about to tank the AO, pattern should be amazing come the 27th on.....I'm extremely pumped up right now.

Yes the pattern takes off after christmas if you believe the ensembles. The GEFS really goes go town with a strong west based -NAO. Would be nice to sneak in the storm for the 21st but man the end of Dec and early Jan look great at this point.

LR (post hr240) EC ens have shown some ridging in the the Gulf and extending across Fl.  Just curious if someone a little more knowledgeable could clue me in on what type of sensible weather that h5 look would produce. (hr360 from 12z run)  I would think that with the look of a -AO and -NAO there would be a heck of a fight setting up somewhere.  I know future runs may lose this feature but I am curious nonetheless. 

Archived