• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

But you know if you look at the individual eruo ensemble membeers, there are still quite a few with a miller b look so I wouldn't jump on the euro yet. Plus I don't trust it phasing and then tracking the upper low south of us. Could happen since we're in a nino but anyone jumping on any solution this early is being silly.

After looking at the euro ens I'm not really enthused about the event as a whole. Mean precip dropped a good bit and its down to .25 give or take. Yesterday it was close to .5 IIRC.

I'm not jumping on any solution Tbh. My total wag is it ending up a weak non event even if it slides under us. The euro op was pretty but there are too many flags to take it seriously. If it shows that solution at 72 hours I probably won't get a lot of sleep for a few days. Lol

My post about the gfs was more general and not specific to this event. It's been really jumpy so far with everything

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS is cold rain for the 21st, OTS for the 25th. And in the LR, GFS is Redicolously Cold. D15 it has a Snowstorm for New Orleans and parts of the gulf coast. Highs below freezing for a lot of the Florida Panhandle and lows in the single digits for some of Northern FL, Southern GA and Southern Alabama.

Since when does anyone look at the 18z GFS haha

EDIT: oops judging by the responses above me this has been covered lol

18z gefs is a major weenie run. Quite a few big storms on the members and pretty cold. Mean h5 looks sweet.

Whoa really.  Mean h5 is amazing in the long range.  I'm sure it will work out differently, but if the pattern advertised below at 372hr showed up in a day 5-10 timeframe, we'd be seeing some epic analogs showing up.  That pattern is barking SECsy MECsy.  -AO/-NAO/+PNA and a piece of the polar vortex near 50/50. 

post-51-0-44636500-1418516483_thumb.png

Seems to me models do well at long range with southern storms (their existence) but poorly with high pressure strength and placement to the north.

The late Jan storm of 10 had heights modeled way too low in the ne until about a day before the storm and the Dec 26 storm of 12 was much colder than modeled a few days out. I could be cherry picking here, but that's my observation. It will be interesting to see what the weather map to our north actually looks like next weekend.

Not that far inland though....DC got a decent storm mixed with sleet and IAD had their biggest single storm until PD1 at 15.4".

Lol that 3 of the top 4 analogs were spectacular storms for IAD and the western 'burbs.

Yeah, it was 9 or so down this way I believe.. good I-81 event (when was that road built??) 

Not that far inland though....DC got a decent storm mixed with sleet and IAD had their biggest single storm until PD1 at 15.4".

Lol that 3 of the top 4 analogs were spectacular storms for IAD and the western 'burbs.

https://books.google.com/books?id=eeM_AAAAQBAJ&pg=PA725&lpg=PA725&dq=jan+1971+snow+storm&source=bl&ots=5StLA5cSeE&sig=Xal4KNcNgD33aIJ7evmkGDYhJe0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7fiMVO3zDovHsQTQnIHQBw&ved=0CFwQ6AEwCw#v=onepage&q=jan%201971%20snow%20storm&f=false

Snow map

I was in Cumberland for that storm (the 23" ob on that map). It was the first 20"+ storm I can recall, and played a big part in my Interest in weather.

Having an insomnia attack, yea just lovely.

When it comes to a snow event, especially any potential HECS around here, sleep goes out the window!  It's sheer adrenaline at that point, staying up all hours of the night following discussion and the models.  Well, that and perhaps some booze at the same time helps!

(ETA:  Not in any way saying we're in for a HECS or anything like it with the potential events in the next couple of weeks...talking about getting little to no sleep in general when there's a big event to follow!)

00Z gfs looks great between Xmas and the end of the month.........If only it would verify.

Holy -NAO!!  Well, that "look" has been pretty solidly advertised for awhile now.  Regardless of individual events and what happens, it sure looks downright cold heading into and beyond Christmas.

Just looked quickly, but the 00Z GFS has a Christmas Day storm (ignoring 2-m temps, things look good at the mid levels...but that's only a quick glance!).  Quite a signal for awhile now for this time period of something...whether we get snow out of it remains to be seen I suppose.

Archived