• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

If only we had a Philly subforum poster to come in and calm us down.

No kidding......but don't worry.......that will come just as soon as one model shows a bad solution.

I'm still holding out hope for that Day 8-10 storm.  Maybe it could be like last years Dec 8 storm???  Or the year before's Dec 26 storm??

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No kidding......but don't worry.......that will come just as soon as one model shows a bad solution.

I'm still holding out hope for that Day 8-10 storm.  Maybe it could be like last years Dec 8 storm???  Or the year before's Dec 26 storm??

I think our better chance is the shortwave beyond the day 10 one but even at day 10, you can't put much stock in any individual solution.   Through xmas, any snow threat is gonna really struggle to have enough cold air.  That doesn't mean you can't get snow with a good storm track and damming if the high stays in the right place, you can. it just makes it nerve wracking  and gives us more chances to fail than win.  After the xmas storm we'll have cold but the pattern may be drier. 

Seems like the GEFS members have more consistency with the 24th-26th storm than the 21st storm.  Solutions for the 21st are all over the map, but the signal for the Xmas storm is pretty darn robust for this time range.  Some absolute monster Miller A's and some monster cutters that head to Detroit.  

This looks really nice for this time range, although the preceding maps look more like a Miller B than a Miller A.  Still, the individual ensemble members are pretty clear at something coming out of the Gulf.  Just a question of which side of the Apps/coastline it tracks.   

post-51-0-52137000-1418412337_thumb.png

no model is ever correct 8+ days away, and some 8+ hours

although snow in the big cities with the 12/21 "event" is going to be tough, I'm still pretty optimistic we'll be dealing with a close call

right now, the models are all over the place (from Lakes cutter to Out to Sea) so all solutions remain on the table

frankly, I'm not real concerned with a cutter because it seems every consequential system of late has been off the coast, and as a firm believer of seasonal patterns, I believe odds still favor something to our south and east; maybe it will make a liar out of me since it eventually has to happen, but until it does the odds remain in our favor imho

in the end, I think our issue will be the nagging  problem we've seem to have with every "eligible" system this year, namely, boundary level temps

Euro ensembles don't have an apps or overhead track. The spread in solutions have the primary going into the oh vly so that shows. But also looks like there are enough members saying the lp stays underneath us and off the nc/va coast tracking se of the benchmark. 

Bob,

21s storm or the 24th?

Getting confused with the 2 systems!

Bob,

21s storm or the 24th?

Getting confused with the 2 systems!

21st. It's really hard to say which is favored. My guess is a primary going to far n-w of us to help. But there's a lot of spread and definitely some members picking up on an underneath track to keep it interesting 

I'll defer on the 25th. I don't really have many thoughts about it other than what Wes said earlier. It's the kind of setup that could potentially have a pesky great lakes low messing with things. 

The one thing that I consider a net positive with this ensemble run is the precip panels don't show heavy precip making it up into central pa and northward. The consensus agreement keeps us on the northern edge with a more ene track off the coast. Hopefully we can score a fluke out of this but there are a lot of red flags to get excited about it. 

post-2035-0-66084400-1418417321_thumb.jp

Ensemble mean precip for the 21st storm is over .50. More support for a possible frozen solution than last night. Some big hits mixed in there. 

Euro and GEFS are at odds during xmas week. Euro is latching onto the idea of a goa/-epo ridge with lowest heights centered in the 4 corners region. GEFS has the lowest heights and trough axis a good bit east. 

Ensemble mean precip for the 21st storm is over .50. More support for a possible frozen solution than last night. Some big hits mixed in there. 

Euro and GEFS are at odds during xmas week. Euro is latching onto the idea of a goa/-epo ridge with lowest heights centered in the 4 corners region. GEFS has the lowest heights and trough axis a good bit east.

Split the difference probably makes sense. I think/hope the trough would move east by New Years.

Nobody likes the 21st, but I'm hugging it.

Nobody likes the 21st, but I'm hugging it.

I think the most interesting thing about it is that everything hinges on the lead storm and what happens there. In some ways it's irrelevant what the models are showing for the 21st until they nail the storm progression before it.

18z gfs says break out your galsohes

Best fantasy storm of the year after Xmas on the 18z. And frigid on the heels.

The storm after the storm after the storm. I've liked that after Xmas period for the last couple days. Too soon to say the pre Xmas and Xmas storms wont produce snow (some place) in the area, but probably not good odds given the pattern progression. Need the AO to be solidly negative and some NA blocking sure wouldn't hurt... individual members have been strongly hinting at it, but maybe not by the 25th. Lots to track for sure. It wont be boring from here on out.

Remember the good ole days when we didn't start tracking storms until they were within 10 days. That is a lot of precip for an ensemble mean at that time range.

If the next threat is 10+ days it's all we got. In 12-13 we tracked months in advance. Haha

Luckily we'll be getting a snowy miller a every 3-5 days starting next weekend for a month or 2.

Archived