joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, but that was right through the heart of winter too

we're still a bit early around here to get worried

Dec of 97 had a huge low height anomaly centered right over AK and GOA acting as a relentless pac air pump. We're only suffering (thankfully) from low heights in the GOA. Which should prove to be transient. If we had a big vortex spinning over AK I would be much more concerned.

Overnight ensemble runs continue to hold the transition with the goa low/trough retrograding back towards the aluetians and an amplifying ridge through western canada towards the pole as leading into the holiday. It's becoming fairly likely for this to happen. Whether it's stable or transient is a big question.

The d10 storm is going to have some issues with both track and temps. It could easily cut west of us with no block and if it doesn't the temps may prove too hard to overcome at our latitude. Overall the pattern really doesn't say snow.

A little early to be worried about precip type no? Let's just hope King Euro trends colder.

I'll bet the storm won't be within 300 miles of where it's currently located when the 12z rolls in....if it's there at all.

I think it will be the storm after that one that will be the one we will end up following.

Dec of 97 had a huge low height anomaly centered right over AK and GOA acting as a relentless pac air pump. We're only suffering (thankfully) from low heights in the GOA. Which should prove to be transient. If we had a big vortex spinning over AK I would be much more concerned.

Overnight ensemble runs continue to hold the transition with the goa low/trough retrograding back towards the aluetians and an amplifying ridge through western canada towards the pole as leading into the holiday. It's becoming fairly likely for this to happen. Whether it's stable or transient is a big question.

The d10 storm is going to have some issues with both track and temps. It could easily cut west of us with no block and if it doesn't the temps may prove too hard to overcome at our latitude. Overall the pattern really doesn't say snow.

This with CAD to go with it is our best shot on this one....I think.

I'm not holding out much hope for the storm around the 21st, although I'd love to be wrong of course.  I think the more realistic scenario is that storm helps bring in a colder airmass and hopefully can set up some confluence to our north to hold that cold air in place for the following storm around the 24th-25th.  

I'm not holding out much hope for the storm around the 21st, although I'd love to be wrong of course.  I think the more realistic scenario is that storm helps bring in a colder airmass and hopefully can set up some confluence to our north to hold that cold air in place for the following storm around the 24th-25th.  

It's a very low probability event for us imo. The pattern hasn't changed from warm canada and shallow/retreating high pressure in advance. 

Hard to say anything about specific chances afterwards. The ensemble means suggest fast but amplified flow. If something runs under us it could work. We won't know a thing for a week and even then... 

I'll bet the storm won't be within 300 miles of where it's currently located when the 12z rolls in....if it's there at all.

I think it will be the storm after that one that will be the one we will end up following.

The storm after the storm after the storm. Dec 27-31 time frame may be the best shot at seeing a major snow event this year.

The storm after the storm after the storm. Dec 27-31 time frame may be the best shot at seeing a major snow event this year.

It can start to get very frustrating when you are expecting the pattern to change and there is a parade of storms to accompany the change and it always become the next one or the one after that. Let's hope hope that's not the case. The first in this series as mentioned already will probably be too difficult to deliver, but I'd really like to see some frozen with the second one. If everyone has to wait for the third system then things may not be progressing as we hoped. Just a thought not a prediction.

It can start to get very frustrating when you are expecting the pattern to change and there is a parade of storms to accompany the change and it always become the next one or the one after that. Let's hope hope that's not the case. The first in this series as mentioned already will probably be too difficult to deliver, but I'd really like to see some frozen with the second one. If everyone has to wait for the third system then things may not be progressing as we hoped. Just a thought not a prediction.

The one issue with where we seem to be going is we would get cold because of the ridge/trough placement but there's no blocking signal yet. So any storm could have issues even with the more amplified pattern. We did well last year with amplified/fast moving flow but as far as a "great storm" pattern goes, that's not what is being advertised. It a pattern that "could" produce something. I wouldn't be surprised if any storm has it's own set of problems. However, if we have enough ops it would increase the chances of scoring something by default. I wish we could fast forward a week. The next 7-10 days are going to be more boring than the redskins offense. 

I just figure the last week of the month based on climo, model ens advertised pattern progression, and by then we should have at least a decently -AO to go along with the ridging out west, and who knows maybe even some weak N Atlantic blocking combined with a 50-50 low from the previous storm. The closer we get to Jan the better the odds.

The one issue with where we seem to be going is we would get cold because of the ridge/trough placement but there's no blocking signal yet. So any storm could have issues even with the more amplified pattern. We did well last year with amplified/fast moving flow but as far as a "great storm" pattern goes, that's not what is being advertised. It a pattern that "could" produce something. I wouldn't be surprised if any storm has it's own set of problems. However, if we have enough ops it would increase the chances of scoring something by default. I wish we could fast forward a week. The next 7-10 days are going to be more boring than the redskins offense. 

Perhaps something like the Christmas storm 2002 where the airmass was marginal a best but a lot of the region flipped over to heavy snow. Like you said if there are enough chances something will produce. I like the fact that there hasn't been days on end of high temps in the 50's and 60's like some miserable patterns produce. Makes it feel like things are much closer to being good rather hopeless.

I really would like to see a solid arctic shot during Christmas week. Most of these systems have been really juiced up so I can't wait to see what happens if we can get at least minimal blocking to hold some cold in place for one of these storms. Please no suppression city though.

I just figure the last week of the month based on climo, model ens advertised pattern progression, and by then we should have at least a decently -AO to go along with the ridging out west, and who knows maybe even some weak N Atlantic blocking combined with a 50-50 low from the previous storm. The closer we get to Jan the better the odds.

Well stated.

Yes climo improves but there has been a bad trend over the last however many years that says the period between Christmas and say the 3rd week of Jan. does not produce significant snowfall in the region. It would be nice to change that this year. A SECS in early Jan. would be nice for a change. Lock in the -AO and there will be chances.

This post is in honor of Mitch

cfs-avg_T2ma5d_us_4.png

cfs-avg_apcpna7d_us_3.png

And it gets better

cfs-avg_T2ma5d_us_5.png

cfs-avg_apcpna7d_us_4.png

There's something wrong w/ the 21-25 day CFSv2... It literally has the entire northern hemisphere below normal, w/ negative height anomalies everywhere (not sure why I'd even base any forecast or ideas at a range beyond 2 weeks tops, much less 3-4 weeks on this piece of crap anyway). Looks like an inherent error in the model, not a forecast for cold...

cfs-avg_z500a5d_nhem_5.png

cfs-avg_T2ma5d_nhem_5.png

There's something wrong w/ the 21-25 day CFSv2... It literally has the entire northern hemisphere below normal, w/ negative height anomalies everywhere (not sure why I'd even base any forecast or ideas at a range beyond 2 weeks tops, much less 3-4 weeks on this piece of crap anyway). Looks like an inherent error in the model, not a forecast for cold...

cfs-avg_z500a5d_nhem_5.png

cfs-avg_T2ma5d_nhem_5.png

Yes please.

That's a more accurate statement.

Archived