• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

Watching the npac 850 polar view loop is down right crazy. It's a java plug so I can't post the link to the animation.

Click loop all and drool

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=gfs&area=polar&cycle=20141209%2012%20UTC&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fourpan=no&imageSize=&ps=area

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the npac 850 polar view loop is down right crazy. It's a java plug so I can't post the link to the animation.

Click loop all and drool

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=gfs&area=polar&cycle=20141209%2012%20UTC&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fourpan=no&imageSize=&ps=area

Looks very progressive to me and a setup ripe for disappointment (rain) since heights in the atlantic are non existent towards Christmas (verbatim).  Seems to me that the lack of a negative NAO, and AO (low snowcover) will hurt our chance until at least mid January.

Looks very progressive to me and a setup ripe for disappointment (rain) since heights in the atlantic are non existent towards Christmas (verbatim).  Seems to me that the lack of a negative NAO, and AO (low snowcover) will hurt our chance until at least mid January.

It's not perfect but verbatim the epo ridge goes all the way to the n pole and the AO is negative with surface HP planted over the pole. and multiple shortwaves tracking below our latitude. With such tight spacing any departing storm can become a transient 50/50 or setup confluence to our north. 

The nao is troublesome but this pattern is more ripe for MA snow than disappointment. The pattern we're in now is a good example of that. 

I'll take my chances with this. Perfect patterns are rare anyways. 

gfs_z500a_nhem_49.png

years with snowstorms during a el nino December usually had a very negative AO at or around the date of it...1963, 1969, 1976, 2002 had a negative AO...1963 was just after a -4 AO number but was rising fast...I'd be more confident if A negative AO was forecast...todays forecast is a little better than yesterdays but it changes every day...

Euro ens holding the same look down the line as other guidance. MSLP mean shows 2 coastals. 17-18th and 21-22nd. Both have decent tracks but obviously available cold is the bigger concern. Things to watch at least. 

any update on Dec 5,2015?

JB is already putting out there that he believes 3 of the next 5 winters will be warm.

Should help with the notion that he always goes cold. He had been saying for a few years that this winter and last would be cold. If I remember right, at the time, a lot of that reasoning was due to solar. Lately, he says it's due to the kind if ENSO he was expecting. Anyway, the verdict is still out for this year, so we'll see how he does.

Should help with the notion that he always goes cold. He had been saying for a few years that this winter and last would be cold. If I remember right, at the time, a lot of that reasoning was due to solar. Lately, he says it's due to the kind if ENSO he was expecting. Anyway, the verdict is still out for this year, so we'll see how he does.

I don't remember exactly so I'll be careful of what I say, but my best recollection of his theory was something along these lines. Back in 2010 just following the huge mid-atlantic he starting saying that 3 out of the next 5 would be colder than average for most of the country and specifically 12/13 would be the worst. He said this 12/13 could end up severe. There was some crazy cold in early Spring 2013 but it was centered in the northern plains and upper mid-west. So he missed on that one. I think you're right about the solar theory for what would cause the series of cold winters. As he frequently does he referenced the winters of the late 70's as a comparison.

I don't remember exactly so I'll be careful of what I say, but my best recollection of his theory was something along these lines. Back in 2010 just following the huge mid-atlantic he starting saying that 3 out of the next 5 would be colder than average for most of the country and specifically 12/13 would be the worst. He said this 12/13 could end up severe. There was some crazy cold in early Spring 2013 but it was centered in the northern plains and upper mid-west. So he missed on that one. I think you're right about the solar theory for what would cause the series of cold winters. As he frequently does he referenced the winters of the late 70's as a comparison.

Yeah, now that you say that I remember him showing graphics of 70s patterns on his Accuweather vids. He loves some 70s comparisons, that's for sure.

Archived