joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Ian. It doesn't have the feel of a big cold winter. And nino's are very mixed in that department so it's not very surprising.

Weeklies are bad if you don't like a continuation of an active southen stream in conjunction with a -ao/nao/epo. Not big cold look but but maybe a big storm look

I really enjoyed last winter with pretty much wall to wall cold and an impressive number of minor to moderate snow events. But I also enjoyed 2009-10 where only 4 events of note come to mind, but 3 of them were major/historic and the late Jan one was significant, with around 7 inches and very cold. I expect this winter to be more like the latter(not on the same scale) with a few big events and some longer periods with either cold and dry or mild and wet mixed in.

I agree Ian. It doesn't have the feel of a big cold winter. And nino's are very mixed in that department so it's not very surprising.

Weeklies are bad if you don't like a continuation of an active southen stream in conjunction with a -ao/nao/epo. Not big cold look but but maybe a big storm look

I just saw Euro monthlies. Jan looks normal to a bit cold but normal precip. Feb ... rockin'.

Because I have every right to post where I want.

I mean, you do. But it is generally advised not to come into subforms and just tell people bad news, I actually believe it is against the rules to go into another subform with the intention to troll. We understand Philly is dead, but often your analysis is simply off for this area, you have a Philly mindset. If you want to give input about the models on a subform that isn't your own, you should probably go to the banter forum.

I mean, you do. But it is generally advised not to come into subforms and just tell people bad news, I actually believe it is against the rules to go into another subform with the intention to troll. We understand Philly is dead, but often your analysis is simply off for this area, you have a Philly mindset. If you want to give input about the models on a subform that isn't your own, you should probably go to the banter forum.

Good post.

Or... be like Highzenberg :)

I feel like there is generally this weird exception with Highzenberg, unless he starts talking about is getting snow when he really means west of Philly. I think he just comes off more professionally.

I think he's just more careful about what he posts. I personally haven't seen him mention Philly without mentioning DC/Baltimore.

Plus he doesn't criticize my obs ;)

Can't speak for elsewhere, but +0.5 and (after today) 7/11 days having mean negative departures MTD at IAD, does not necessarily a mild December make, especially when the consensus forecasts all have the second half of the month much colder.

If we torch a couple days in the next week or so and finish the month with a zero departure, is it still considered mild?  If so, it's basically just because our expectations from months earlier were for the icebox.  Last December was like +2.5, but no one expected cold either.

The fact the mild pattern has failed to deliver many mild days is very much a glass half full interpretation here.

I've been on this for weeks. The models are showing too mild in the 7+ day. Upcoming Sunday-Tuesday was showing to be around 60 7 days ago.  It's not snow cold but it's not supposed to be 12/1-12/10.  45, cloudy, blowing 20-40 mph, days in a row, is a long way from mild.

GFS 6z has the Christmas storm. Maybe a Miller B setup but it really winds up for New England. An earlier phase would help.

that is close but that is often our story here...a phase late and a block short...but maybe some mood flakes on the big day...I would take that and run

Day 9 and 10 on tonight's EURO looks intriguing, though its prob rain. Decent HP in Quebec though (1030mb +)... this storm looks like a re-developer in that on Day 9 S IL/W KY/W TN is where the L is.. and on Day 10, its just off OBX

Weird solution. Storm cuts all the way into the Ohio valley. Then is forced under the high and redevelops off nc but it's squashed.

These highs have been strong, the last one blocked that monster low which is still frittering around.

As we move along I think suppression could become a problem but it's better problem than no cold air.

The High this week was very strong. There were some very cold readings in New England before the storm. Even here we did not get above freezing for the high on Monday. If the storm came in 12-18 earlier most here would have gotten a quick thump. Pretty nice to see that kind of high pressure when Canada is running warm.

Archived