EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Midlevels are so dicey leading in. 0c 850 line is west of me @ 06z sunday. Dynamically driven in marginal airmass at 7 day leads. haha

It's probably not right but even the other models suggest there could be some freezing precipitation out in the nothern and western hinter regions so we can hope.  I'd love to have someone see accumulating snow during my week 2 from Thursday.   the northern and western folks can hope for a decent solution.  For me it's more of a fantasy, not likely but I can dream knowwing it's unlikely for me to get much love,.   For luvr a low going to his south gives him a pretty good shot of some winter weather as long as he's not too greedy. 

Can't post Euro WxBell graphics here but ~1.1-1.2" out by you.  ~1.3" DC.  Higher amounts (1.5"+) just to our SW and in central VA.  

looks to start as something other than snow at BWI with probably .7-.8" qpf snow per this run

EDIT: I think that's conservative, but at this distance, who cares

ABOUT   DEC 21   and 12z  euro run  

The cold air supply is limited... The over all Upper air pattern not great. This is a marginal situation for the interior and rain that ends as snow for the COAST. For western NC Mtns WVA western half of VA western half of MD .. most of PA this could be a SIGNIFICANT SNOW.. COULD BE..

from PHL to BOS again very mariginal on the coast...12z EURO shows wet snow or mix SIGNIFICANT SNOW Inland

As I said the KEY is the DEC 17 Low ( all rain for the all fo the east coast) . It is the rapid development of the DEC 17 Low into a BIG Low over SE Canada THAT sets up the DEC 21 Low winter storm threat. 

** IF the big low of SE cnada does not develop or if it moves away .. DEC 21 coastal Low ai all rain for everyone.

post-9415-0-52553900-1418501451_thumb.pn

post-9415-0-72357300-1418501454_thumb.pn

post-9415-0-63972900-1418501458_thumb.pn

Euro ensembles pretty much took the west track idea off the table. So that is good. Mean track is further east than the op. Only a couple close to the coast tracks. In general, the ensembles have an ok track but not strong like the op.

The op phased with the ns shortwave. That prob had a lot to do with the strength.

Overall, I think the ens run is a big net positive because the 50/50 is prominent and the west track option seems to be gone.

Euro ens also looks like it would be a big arctic outbreak a few days after xmas. From what I can tell it could come down the spine of the rockies first and moves east. Very cold look for much of the conus.

Big -epo ridge and nao heading that way. Wow.

Doesn't look like a nino pattern at all though.

As long as it snows....Nino will probably make its mark JFM.

18z GFS is cold rain for the 21st, OTS for the 25th. And in the LR, GFS is Redicolously Cold. D15 it has a Snowstorm for New Orleans and parts of the gulf coast. Highs below freezing for a lot of the Florida Panhandle and lows in the single digits for some of Northern FL, Southern GA and Southern Alabama.

WHY  .. WHY would anyone look at the 18z   regular  GFS   for either  event?  for the past  3 days  every run of the " regular"  GFS has shown  rain and a  way inland track of the  Low   for  12/21  and   had NEVER  showed any     event  for 12/25... since  Both systems are southern systems  it is natural for the GFS  to screw this up

the  only NEWS  wpuldbe of the  regular   GFS   actually show a   12/21 cpoatal low  and or  12/25

18z GFS is cold rain for the 21st, OTS for the 25th. And in the LR, GFS is Redicolously Cold. D15 it has a Snowstorm for New Orleans and parts of the gulf coast. Highs below freezing for a lot of the Florida Panhandle and lows in the single digits for some of Northern FL, Southern GA and Southern Alabama.

DT, some hints of a -nao started this week and the signal keeps getting stronger. 12z euro ens was the best look yet at the possibility of maybe actually getting some stable blocked flow. Do you have any thoughts on this or is it just too early to say much?

We really haven't had a real -nao since 2010-11. And even then is was only during Dec-jan. I don't count march 13 because I'm still trying to forget that disaster here.

WHY  .. WHY would anyone look at the 18z   regular  GFS   for either  event?  for the past  3 days  every run of the " regular"  GFS has shown  rain and a  way inland track of the  Low   for  12/21  and   had NEVER  showed any     event  for 12/25... since  Both systems are southern systems  it is natural for the GFS  to screw this up

the  only NEWS  wpuldbe of the  regular   GFS   actually show a   12/21 cpoatal low  and or  12/25

Besides the 2 systems, what do you think of the long range GFS solution of a big PV setting up in the eastern US after Christmas?

it's free?       :tomato:

it's free? :tomato:

Lol- hard to argue with that. The new gfs seems to be doing quite well with medium range. I'm probably done with the old gfs. Its consistently bringing more clouds than clarity this year. It seemed to handle last year's pattern fairly well except for the one big storm. Struggling bad so far this season.

Lol- hard to argue with that. The new gfs seems to be doing quite well with medium range. I'm probably done with the old gfs. Its consistently bringing more clouds than clarity this year. It seemed to handle last year's pattern fairly well except for the one big storm. Struggling bad so far this season.

But you know if you look at the individual eruo ensemble membeers, there are still quite a few with a miller b look so I wouldn't jump on the euro yet.  Plus I don't trust it phasing and then tracking the upper low south of us.  Could happen since we're in a nino but anyone jumping on any solution this early is being silly. 

Archived