• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

Temperature is beginning to crash here now with winds shifting to the NW. ENX appears to be down as it hasn't updated in over an hour. Talk about bad timing...

I was just about to post that it looks like the cooler air is finally getting into NW Mass--at least on the west side of the hills.  Still at 33.0, but the wind's (light as it is) begun to veer to the north.  So, hopefully.................

Enjoy your upslope, Mitch--I think you'll be the winner in SNE.

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice.  Still stuck in Hanover myself.  Heading home soon though.  Not really sure what to expect (no offense to my wife's eyeballing) but I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of your report.

I see there's a 12" report out of Tunbridge...

I don't see us getting to the 18-24" that was advertised. 

Yeah I would imagine you would be around the same or a bit more with your elevation.  I haven't gone out but looks like another inch or so, it has lightened up but still coming down.  Radar not looking overly impressive.  Snow becoming much less dense as the temp continues to drop now down to 26F.  

Some folks throwing in the towel when it just started up.  This winter jaded some of us!

This is a dynamic system- I wouldn't be looking at what is occurring in the Southern Tier of NY or into PA  on the radar and assume it's all over-what happened to sitting back and watching it pile up?

The V-day storm had the same towel-throwing- it seemed like it was gonna come up short at half time, as this winter has, and it delivered the 18-24" as forecast.  

I don't see BTV throttling back tonight...  

Sitting at around 8-9" thus far in the wind-scoured top of the yard.  will throw on the snowshoes later and checkout the stake- which is generally deeper than up by the house here.

edit: flake size increasing here.  some rather dense stuff, chucky, compact dendrite-like I'd say- little spherical, sub-symmetrical with finer stuff mixed in. 

Yeah I would say somewhere close to 10" is about right (I am about 1.5 miles from the NWS as the crow flies I think). It is hard to get anything real accurate due to the winds and drifting. Flake size was pretty good, but now things have backed off.

looks like temps are noticeably starting to crash in extreme w ma / nw ma and im southern vt / west central nh. for reference 18z nam 0z forecast has verified decently in position of the 32 isotherm

Not in this part of NW Mass.  I've been 33* since 2:00p.m., though I expect it to dip now that the winds gone N/NW

Not in this part of NW Mass.  I've been 33* since 2:00p.m., though I expect it to dip now that the winds gone N/NW

It's actually really interesting. The cold is so shallow around Albany that it can't get over the Taconic Mountains. Notice that it's colder around the Hudson River near Poughkeepsie with that northerly drain than it is up by you. 

It will make it up and over eventually but it may be sort of a holding pattern for a bit. 

post-40-0-70071600-1394670889_thumb.png

I live on steep hill, where it bottoms out a 150 yards down hill, and goes back up- basically acending a small drainage gully.  Decently steep.  The town plow truck is kinda stuck at the bottom right now- it drifts in down there a bit below the two high points of the gully.  He'll get out, but he's basically charging up the hill, pushing the drifts over as far as he can, then backing down to the bottom of the gully to charge up again and advance a bit farther.  First time this winter I've seen that happen.

Not a bad sign.

It's actually really interesting. The cold is so shallow around Albany that it can't get over the Taconic Mountains. Notice that it's colder around the Hudson River near Poughkeepsie with that northerly drain than it is up by you. 

It will make it up and over eventually but it may be sort of a holding pattern for a bit. 

It is pretty neat.  I had expected I'd have been in the cold before 8:00.   The winds have picked up now, so hopefully that will help usher cooler temps in.  But I've been hoping for a long time today.  :)

32.9/32

what a crap airmass we had to start over the region....this could have been a decent storm for BOS North with a decent airmass....wether it was sleet or zr for areas i don't know but the LP track was not bad for most or area.

looks like Killington....to Cannon....maybe waterville attitash wildcat and the maine mtns cashed

31.7 with SN.

Crazy storm out here. 4.5 inches to start, then a change to rain, then sleet, then a glaze of ZR and now back to snow.

At Sunapee? Must be longitude helping out.

Pouring buckets here, 3 miles from Mt. Sunapee…..1-1 1/2 of concrete here today.

It looks like for the majority of Southern New England this thing is just going to end before the cold even really Gets in year

radar is broken up for such a strong storm-would think there's a deform band somewhere?  Agree though, cold dry winds will be the rule  for most of CT/RI and Eastern MA.  

Archived