Newest Member
    Toothache
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 5.2” Snow/0.59” L.E.

The snow seemed to be falling at roughly an inch an hour this afternoon, and indeed it’s dense, synoptic stuff, coming in above 10% H20.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 5.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.57 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.8

Snow Density: 11.4% H2O

Temperature: 23.0 F

Sky: Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

Even with the small flakes, it still seems to be running around the 1”/hr pace, with ~6 inches on the gauge at the J&E Productions Live Web Cam as of 6:00 P.M.:

12MAR14E.jpg

Event totals: 5.2” Snow/0.59” L.E.

The snow seemed to be falling at roughly an inch an hour this afternoon, and indeed it’s dense, synoptic stuff, coming in above 10% H20.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 5.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.57 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.8

Snow Density: 11.4% H2O

Temperature: 23.0 F

Sky: Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

Even with the small flakes, it still seems to be running around the 1”/hr pace, with ~6 inches on the gauge at the J&E Productions Live Web Cam as of 6:00 P.M.:

12MAR14E.jpg

Yeah we've had the QPF, ratios are likely similar here...it feels like an 8-10:1 type deal. Nice shot of snow equivalent being injected though.

Eyewalls photo looks a lot bigger in flake size than here. It's almost like a sleety snow.

9.5 inches as of 5:45 pm.  Judging by the trees, I'd say we have sustained winds in the 18-24 mph, with gusts 30-35 mph.  Visibility is around 500 ft.

awesome!

33F RA

0.63" of wasted liquid

I'm shocked that you and I have the same temp.

Hope dwindling here.....no upslope for here like mitch.

32.8/32

Yeah we've had the QPF, ratios are likely similar here...it feels like an 8-10:1 type deal. Nice shot of snow equivalent being injected though.

Eyewalls photo looks a lot bigger in flake size than here. It's almost like a sleety snow.

Yeah, the snow is piling up, but I haven't really seen a decent dendrite all day...someone with better met knowledge than I might be able to offer an explanation.  In any case, just got in from a preliminary snow-blow of the driveway. Just touching 7" as of 6:30pm

Yeah, the snow is piling up, but I haven't really seen a decent dendrite all day...someone with better met knowledge than I might be able to offer an explanation. In any case, just got in from a preliminary snow-blow of the driveway. Just touching 7" as of 6:30pm

I can safely say that if we had dendrites with this system, we'd be up to like 10-15" already and 3"/hr. Right now we are getting like 0.1-0.15" melted per hour, but these are like bullet flakes. Very small stuff. Gotta be the warm mid levels...we'll probably go to better flakes in the final bands later tonight.

Archived