• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

30.3 degrees at UAlbany with moderate Freezing Rain... roads are still fine (and I don't expect those to ice up till later). Looking like we are going to reach warning criteria ice if things don't led up soon though.

Special 18z soundings shows that this is a pretty shallow CAD seeping in, so we will probably stay freezing rain longer than the NWS forecasted. Correlation Coefficient confirms this, with a pretty significant distance from KALB and the mixing precipitation. 

ALB.gif

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't recall many events where even the Lakes region is partially screwed yet Conway/Fryeburg get pounded. It still may mix there, but it does not happen often at all.

Pouring and 32.1F.  Trees are heavily coated.  As of 4:15pm I can confirm it is raining in Rumney NH one town NW of Plymouth.  It is also raining up in Thorton, just south of Lincoln.  I just called Loon and it is still snowing at the mountain base.

It's going to take a little while to get that low level cold over here through the high terrain. We'll need to see HIE and then LEB dropping down the CT River Valley first. Looks like it's through the northern half of Coos with low 20s up around Pittsburg and 31F at BML/HIE.

So what will happen Brian?  Im at 32.1F.  Does the cold air drain down at the surface first in a situation like this and go to ZR then IP or does the cold air come in at all levels at the same time?  What time do you expect the cold air to begin to push towards the Lakes Region?

Pouring and 32.1F.  Trees are heavily coated.  As of 4:15pm I can confirm it is raining in Rumney NH one town NW of Plymouth.  It is also raining up in Thorton, just south of Lincoln.  I just called Loon and it is still snowing at the mountain base.

The north pushed has slowed, but it's real close to Loon. IZG is 1SM -SN so mixing may be reaching them..or it's just massive chutes there.

I can see Brian letting out a big Charlie Brown "Arrrrgggghhhh"

I'd be banning innocent people if Gene/Plym pulled off 12-15" while I got 2" of slop.

j/k

I'm not expecting a lot of snow after changeover, but it won't take much to create a mess on the trees/powerlines after some ZR. Then the hard freeze up and strong winds may cause some power issues. I'm not expecting more than 2-4" here though.

Try again.

METAR KORH 122016Z 05009KT 6SM -RA BR OVC013 03/01 A2924 RMK AO2 P0000 T00280011

37F

They actually just dropped to 36F

KORH 122042Z 04011KT 2 1/2SM -RA BR BKN005 OVC011 02/02 A2921 RMK AO2 UPB22E26 CIG 003V008 PRESFR P0000 T00220017

I'm guessing Kevin hated being one of the few interior zones in the mid to upper 40s. :lol: 

post-17-0-03743100-1394657654_thumb.jpg

Archived