Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temp continues to crash here... moderate sleet right now but the snow line is also crashing southward. Roads and ground is covered in white... visibility is significantly reduced.

25.7 F 

Man--you really are cooling down.  I've now ticked up to 33.1 and the mesomap shows no indication of cooler temps getting here any time sooner.  ftl.

.43" in the bucket

I can safely say that if we had dendrites with this system, we'd be up to like 10-15" already and 3"/hr. Right now we are getting like 0.1-0.15" melted per hour, but these are like bullet flakes. Very small stuff. Gotta be the warm mid levels...we'll probably go to better flakes in the final bands later tonight.

Ha! That's what I thought, but I wasn't confident enough to offer that up as a reason. See?  I'm learning. ;)

At 7" now.  A lot of moisture falling from the sky, really dense snow, 1.2" last hour.  If we had anything resembling a dendrite that's 2-3"/hr type stuff.  Keep putting down moisture though in the snowpack. 

We can make a foot... I think the widespread like 15-24" type stuff isn't happening with this snow growth.

At 7" now.  A lot of moisture falling from the sky, really dense snow, 1.2" last hour.  If we had anything resembling a dendrite that's 2-3"/hr type stuff.  Keep putting down moisture though in the snowpack. 

We can make a foot... I think the widespread like 15-24" type stuff isn't happening with this snow growth.

attachicon.gifunnamed.jpg

attachicon.gifunnamed2.jpg

Yeah that best band of frontogenesis and isentropic lift was too far south to really get in the good stuff... I think you're going to get some nice fluff on top though. Things are going to switch pretty quickly from bad to good snow growth as the thermal profile changes. 

Temp has dropped down to 29F with snow falling at about 2" an hour, up to 9.5".

Nice.  Still stuck in Hanover myself.  Heading home soon though.  Not really sure what to expect (no offense to my wife's eyeballing) but I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of your report.

I see there's a 12" report out of Tunbridge...

I don't see us getting to the 18-24" that was advertised. 

Yeah that best band of frontogenesis and isentropic lift was too far south to really get in the good stuff... I think you're going to get some nice fluff on top though. Things are going to switch pretty quickly from bad to good snow growth as the thermal profile changes. 

Well the QPF is verifying... I bet we've had 0.75" so far in the 7" of snow.  Maybe we end up in the 1.2" QPF range or something with a foot of snow. 

Eitherway, I'm really enjoying one last good snowy night if this turns out to be the last warning event of the season.

Rain/Snow line literally 4 miles W of Plymouth campus. Just drove to find it lol. In east Rumney and it's mostly snow.

Still 32.2F with rain and a few sleet pellets.  I am about 7 miles due south of the traffic circle in west Plymouth so I should change over very soon.  Temp has been between 31.9F and 33.2F for 8 hours.  What a difference 1F would have made!

Still 32.2F with rain and a few sleet pellets. I am about 7 miles due south of the traffic circle in west Plymouth so I should change over very soon. Temp has been between 31.9F and 33.2F for 8 hours. What a difference 1F would have made!

Yeah, not too far north stayed snow all storm. Oh well, it was cool to drive to the rain/snow line! Almost back in Plymouth now (2 miles) and still all snow...32 on car thermo, airport says 34

(I'm not driving)

cranking here.  several inches in the past 3 hours.  Wind has picked up with the snowfall.  We've been going 1"/hr or more here for the past several hours.  Will venture out soon enough to get a reading.  Will have to button up for the walk.

Archived