joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the sfc low is right along I-80 in PA. Looks like N VT is now plummeting in temps as the arctic air begins to drain in.

Longitude AND latitude look to be key in CNE/NNE Wonder if places near albany or just north can score a nasty frz rain event . That cold air is draining down the CPV nicely

Not sure elevations below 500' get much in CNH from dentrite even over to conway till late

I bet wxeye to Brian could show that wrt accums

Just dipped below freezing here north of ALB, with a mix of -zr, pl, and -sn.  I'd just assume not deal with any ice.

All rain here, but temperature has dropped a few degrees in the last hour. Flash freeze looks pretty likely tonight as we change back over.

Temp: 33 degrees

Conditions: Light Rain

With the drifting I measured anywhere from 1 to 4 inches but it most spots in ranged between 2 and 3, so probably closing in on 2.5" or so as of this post. It is definitely become colder and the snow is much more powdery now.

Rochester, NY has been getting hammered since 9am.

Blizzard there right now.

METAR KROC 121754Z 04032G41KT 1/8SM R04/1200V1600FT +SN FZFG BLSN VV006 M04/M06 A2943 RMK AO2 PK WND 04041/1753 TWR VIS 1/4 SLP976 4/005 933010 P0000 6//// T10441061 10000 21044 56039 PNO $

Not much going on at home yet.  Still in the upper 50's.

I just texted a friend over at Smuggs who said 2-3" tops at 1pm.  Pretty similar to what we have here, too.

To be honest, I just can't see how Smuggs has the same amount as Killington at the same 12:30pm time frame.  Killington has been in a firehose and 5" sounds right.  5" north of here right now seems suspect but I don't like to doubt snow reports.  I know how it can vary.

But this photo from Smuggs looks exactly like Mansfield right now and there's 2-3".

that sounds more reasonable.  Wasn't sure how they popped up to 5" when everyone else around had 2".  Then again, it all depends on who's measuring and where...  

We are going to have to start picking up the pace here to make these bigger totals. After the initial round we have seen mostly finer flakes instead of dendrites/parachutes. We should get ours when the Deform rolls in with the CPV convergence.

2pm.  Light snow  32.2F   4" storm total, 2" new past hour.  Heavy snow most of past hour, lighter at the moment.  Temp high was 32.5F midday but has fallen a few tenths past hour or two.  Paste everywhere.  Could be best storm of the season.  Very different from the 10F pixel dust I am use to.  Expect widespread power outages in my area if this continues.

Its only 2pm but temps seem to be falling to the north, could I be at my high?  Still expecting switch to rain for awhile...

Weather station and cam   http://www.metrocast.net/~wxeye/

Archived