• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

1pm  32.3F  moderate to heavy snow.  Vis about 3/8  2" so far.  1" past hour.  Snow extremely wet.  Temp an hour ago  32.5F has been 32.3/4F past 30 minutes.   Good snow growth.

Weather station and camera   http://www.metrocast.net/~wxeye/   expect power problems if we go another hour or two without changeover.

post-268-0-07851900-1394643765_thumb.jpg

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JSpin's hand will fall off writing about this storm. I've seen the novels just from 0.2".

A man of science.  The amount of work he puts into his historical record is much appreciated by many of us up here.  Its so easy on his website to pull up a past event from the last 6 years or so and get all the information you could want regarding the system in this local area, along with local ski totals and conditions.

I visit his page a lot in the off-season to relive past events, haha.

Agreed. 

Up here it'll be ratio dependent.  I've got around 2" right now but its surprisingly wet.  I'll do a core in a little bit.  Like snowman building snow.  This is the type of snow that would probably *only* give us around 8-10" but would be a much higher impact than like 16" of fluff. 

Just pasting to every little twig and branch at this point.

I'm sure it will go higher ratio once temps crash in the CCB bands.

Wish I was up there (probably the hundredth SNE or NYC person you've heard this from today)!!

Yeah they always seem to find a way there...Even when models try to show mid-level warmth tickling them, they'll often hang onto ripping snow.

From the 12z RGEM... best spot right now looks to be setting up between the H85 0C and -10C isotherms.  Right through central VT up into NNH and the mtns of ME.

Immediately north of the H85 low track for best precip in the cold sector.

He backstabs us all not surprised.

Man what an awesome storm for VT.I am sure PF and ADK are over their GFL panic posts this morning by now.

huh?  The post that mentioned GFL was raining?  Let me be clear, I never, ever thought we were in danger of raining, :lol:  If anything I took that as a good sign locally that this thing was juicing up.  Oh ginxy.

From the 12z RGEM... best spot right now looks to be setting up between the H85 0C and -10C isotherms. Right through central VT up into NNH and the mtns of ME.

Immediately north of the H85 low track for best precip in the cold sector.

RGEM.png

nice, flow is blocked post storm too, MRG to Jay really going to pile it up in that pure Arctic airmass

DGZ up in these parts gets awfully deep tomorrow.

That CCB/deformation area as the H5 trough axis goes through could produce a bit nmore than model qpf might indicate...esp in the terrain-enhanced areas. That looks pretty nice.

Even down here I wouldn't be surprised to see a steady period of light to perhaps marginal moderate snow for a couple hours tomorrow morning if all goes well.

That CCB/deformation area as the H5 trough axis goes through could produce a bit nmore than model qpf might indicate...esp in the terrain-enhanced areas. That looks pretty nice.

Even down here I wouldn't be surprised to see a steady period of light to perhaps marginal moderate snow for a couple hours tomorrow morning if all goes well.

yeah that should extend al the way down to s ct

All rain here, but temperature has dropped a few degrees in the last hour. Flash freeze looks pretty likely tonight as we change back over.

Temp: 33 degrees

Conditions: Light Rain

Yikes... yeah that will get pretty nasty in the CD. 

I'm still not sure whether the flash freeze materializes down this way. Might be a bit of a lag between sub-0c chill and the end of the rain... with gusty NW winds that should help evaporation a great deal. 

over 2" here now with steady moderate snow.  Smuggs reported 5" an hour ago- on par with Killington at the moment.  NECN put up ~27" for Sugarbush to Smuggs.  Wouldn't be surprised at the rate things are going.

over 2" here now with steady moderate snow.  Smuggs reported 5" an hour ago- on par with Killington at the moment.  NECN put up ~27" for Sugarbush to Smuggs.  Wouldn't be surprised at the rate things are going.

I just texted a friend over at Smuggs who said 2-3" tops at 1pm.  Pretty similar to what we have here, too.

To be honest, I just can't see how Smuggs has the same amount as Killington at the same 12:30pm time frame.  Killington has been in a firehose and 5" sounds right.  5" north of here right now seems suspect but I don't like to doubt snow reports.  I know how it can vary.

But this photo from Smuggs looks exactly like Mansfield right now and there's 2-3".

1781932_10152272125817298_1361713155_n.j

Yikes... yeah that will get pretty nasty in the CD.

I'm still not sure whether the flash freeze materializes down this way. Might be a bit of a lag between sub-0c chill and the end of the rain... with gusty NW winds that should help evaporation a great deal.

an inch -2 of snow on ice tonight in ct is gonna be very bad

Archived