SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Definitely will extend the riding season a coue of weeks. Of course golf season is nowhere in sight. Never suspected you and Dendrite would be the recipients of the screw job award. Is riding done from your place?

Yeah, that is the breaks I guess, Going to have to trailer now unless we can get 6" or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got home from work, car thermometer read 34 in north hatfield, dropped steady to 26 here at home in bernardston. Driveway is a sheet of ice, and the snow that remains is starting to lock up. Doubt we see anything on the backside of any significance....

Eh' radar says we pick up a little.

Water droplets are frozen on the cars.

What a strange storm,Your at 31F and i am at 24F

I'm still shocked that you, Dendrite, WeatherMA, etc didn't do better.  I'm sure some can argue but when all is said and done I consider this a bust on modeled snow fall totals.

I think he said he was up in the App Gap just above MRG.

Right, within walking distance of App Gap, about 600' vert up from the MRG base.

Snowfall was light in the morning, moderate or on the moderate end of light all afternoon, probably totaling 6" or a little more by dark.  Much of the day at MRG I could hear the fine-grained snow bouncing off my helmet, but I'm not sure I'd call it sleet, and it certainly did not harm the skiing surface - creamy, not manky at all. Now it's just blower, and it's really stacking up. I'd post photos but I have to get to bed as I have a big day of skiing ahead ...

Quite pleased here... 10.3" with one board clearing...9.8" without board clearing.

Still coming down hard.

March12_11pm.gif

Stopped for gas on the Mountain Road... it was coming down hard and blowing too.  Snow growth optimal in these bands.

Some cell phone stormin' pics...Alpine Mart & Valero never looked so good.

March12_11pm.jpg

photo%201.JPG

Eh' radar says we pick up a little.

Water droplets are frozen on the cars.

I'm still shocked that you, Dendrite, WeatherMA, etc didn't do better. I'm sure some can argue but when all said in done I consider this a bust on modeled snow fall totals.

There definitely winners and losers , That's why we lobbied for the SE tics on the models yesterday, We were on the fence, And when they kept going NW, We were cooked , Never bet saga isn't the euro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29F and dropping with a few flakes.  Falling temps but NW wind bringing drier air and lack of precip the past hour is making flash freeze a non-event here. 

Hopefully pick up 1"+ of snow from the back end to whiten the stale glacier here.

I take that back.  Just let the dog out and the street is  glazed with steady pl/fzra falling.  28F

Right, within walking distance of App Gap, about 600' vert up from the MRG base.

Snowfall was light in the morning, moderate or on the moderate end of light all afternoon, probably totaling 6" or a little more by dark. Much of the day at MRG I could hear the fine-grained snow bouncing off my helmet, but I'm not sure I'd call it sleet, and it certainly did not harm the skiing surface - creamy, not manky at all. Now it's just blower, and it's really stacking up. I'd post photos but I have to get to bed as I have a big day of skiing ahead ...

Radarman and Ski Mrg Pete are headed up for first chair, hope the wind cooperates for you guys,should be fun.

Event totals: 11.2” Snow/1.20” L.E.

You couldn’t have had the snowfall accumulation more in synch with the clock if you tried this evening – there was 5” at 5:00 P.M. this evening, and the accumulation just ticked off from there at 1”/hr.  Anyway, I measured exactly 6.0” on the snowboards from the past 6 hours, and the density has hung around 10% H2O.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 6.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.61 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.8

Snow Density: 10.2% H2O

Temperature: 18.1 F

Sky: Snow (1-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 21.0 inches

I’ve only created the one 12” dowel for the web cam setup at this point, so in case the storm depth exceeds that point, I’ve added a ruler as a temporary extension up to 17”.

12MAR14F.jpg

We are seeing the advertised near blizzard conditions at times. I tried to get pics but that is difficult at night. I will see if one or two came out tomorrow.  I can't get an accurate measurement to save my life so I will rely on NWS BTV since they are usually very representative of my location. Definitely the most impressive synoptic storm this season and I got my double digits so no complaints here. I happily eat crow for everything I said :).

Event totals: 11.2” Snow/1.20” L.E.

You couldn’t have had the snowfall accumulation more in synch with the clock if you tried this evening – there was 5” at 5:00 P.M. this evening, and the accumulation just ticked off from there at 1”/hr.  Anyway, I measured exactly 6.0” on the snowboards from the past 6 hours, and the density has hung around 10% H2O.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 6.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.61 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.8

Snow Density: 10.2% H2O

Temperature: 18.1 F

Sky: Snow (1-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 21.0 inches

I’ve only created the one 12” dowel for the web cam setup at this point, so in case the storm depth exceeds that point, I’ve added a ruler as a temporary extension up to 17”.

Thanks for putting up the live web cam.  I'd love to do that.  Would make it really easy to monitor whats going on at home from a remote location, too.  Could always check in on a mobile device when away for the day or night.

This has been my favorite storm of the season...even with the low ratios it was snowing very hard.  The models have done pretty well... I'd have to imagine I'm around 1.0-1.1" melted, as the first phase this morning ended up 10:1, and your ratios seem to have stayed similar.  Most averages for the models were 1.25-1.5", so we'll end up close or in that range.

Wind has been nice...we don't usually get a lot of wind down here in the valley and its been blowing around.

Archived