Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb '14 Obs and Discussion

nj2va

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My CoCoRahs snow depth observation this morning was a T.  :(

54.8 and waiting for the rain to take us to piles only.

I drove from Warrenton to Clarksburg yesterday afternoon.  I might as well have driven from South Carolina to Maine, the difference was so stark.

The "snow fog" earlier was very cool. I don't remember seeing "dry ice" type fog since the massive meltdown following the 96 storm.

It was indeed.  I went for a run right after the rain.  The fog was at 0-5' so my head was above most of the time.  I probably looked pretty funny to anyone that saw me from a distance.  When there was no fog, the temp was in the mid 50's but as I would enter a fog bank, it dropped by at least 10 degrees and it felt like I was walking into a large freezer.  Pretty cool.

It was indeed.  I went for a run right after the rain.  The fog was at 0-5' so my head was above most of the time.  I probably looked pretty funny to anyone that saw me from a distance.  When there was no fog, the temp was in the mid 50's but as I would enter a fog bank, it dropped by at least 10 degrees and it felt like I was walking into a large freezer.  Pretty cool.

You probably looked like a floating head... lol.  I went through a few fog banks on my road that were near zero visibility.

Friday Feb 21 2014

Today we had one hell of a Gulf surge that brought incredibly warm air up, probably because the western Great Lakes low went totally ballistic and greedily pulled up tremendous Gulf of Mex values all at my expense so that Wisconsinites and Minnesotans could high five each other over 15 inches of new powder on top of their already staggering riches.

I had to do a lot of copywriting last night, into 6am. This is why I slept thru all the severe late this morning.

The NWS forecast 61 with some rain today. Remember when I said last night, You'd better tack on about 7 degrees to that high temp?

Well I was wrong. It spiked to 70. Not only that, we had dews to 62 degrees late this morning! Those are Austin Texas type values!!!

The warm Gulf weather swept up into the Mid Atlantic this morning and simply massacred what snow we had left. It also poured warm rainfall. The south winds didnt help.

I was so exhausted from copywriting this morning that I slept til 120pm lol. I noticed we were under a Tornado Watch, Now we've seen it all this month. I woke up and could not believe the temp outside, 63 with a dew of 55. By then the north winds were blowing and the temp was falling.

By the time I left to go work out, it was 46/39. We have about 3 to 5 percent areal snow coverage aside from piles of snow.

I could hardly believe that I still had 2 inches of snow on my north lawn. That is a testament to the frigid ground, despite warm rainfall and 70/62 conditions!

Next, I examined the Glendale Slope lawns which all face north. They did incredibly well despite the torch. They all had 2 inches of snow on them. EVEN THE SIDEWALK IN GLENDALE VALLEY, OVER THE CREEK, STILL HAD 1-2 INCHES OF SNOW ON IT!!! That was probably because of the trees nearby.

Next, I took a look at Center Plaza. The plowed piles took a hit, but they are still there. Even plowed piles from the Jan 21 snow survived this Jurassic Park styled dousing and torch.

Then I journeyed up Minnieville toward the Rec Center. I saw snow on the west side of the apartment buildings. I also saw snow in the usual places on Leninskaya Slope (which is on the corner of Minnieville Rd and Darbydale). It is amazing that we had any snow left at all after this horrific torch and rain with super high dewpoints.

Then I turned into the parking lot of the Rec Center. I proceeded to the back and parked. I got out. This time I took the damn stairs down to the playing fields below, a valley I decided to refer to as Delaney Valley because Old Delaney Road runs down there.

This protected sheltered little valley is a typical place where snow hangs on long after the subdivisions have lost the pack.

Today was no different: I walked down there and I happily measured 3-4 inches of snow. There was a lot of standing water too. There is a LOT of snow cover in that valley. If you look northeast, you can see more toward the batting cage and more on the west slope of Minnieville Road. It was unbelievable that after days and days of warm weather and after this unholy high of 70 degrees with a HUMID dewpoint of 62, that all this nice snow was still left.

I carefully walked as little in it as I could then reverently left the valley after getting my measurements. Then I worked out.

This definitely verifies at our 36th day of snow cover this season.

Setting up to be a beautiful day. Going to maximize my time outside with the little one today. Hoping to push 60.

Indeed...I just had a cup of coffee on my front porch. The sun felt so nice. I still have about 90% snow cover,but I expect that will be down to 30% before the days is out.

Today is going to be awesome. When you have steam coming up from spots the sun is hitting at 9:00 am, you know that sun is going to do his work for you.

Temp has risen 10 degrees in a little over an hour - currently at 39.

It's incredible outside already.  Just got back from a long run, and I was over-dressed even in shorts.  As a side note, I don't understand how someone can ignore their sidewalk even a week after a storm.  Where's Jeb when you need him?

Archived