Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Feb '14 Obs and Discussion

nj2va

^

I feel like the ice in the Bay was more impressive than any of the years that you listed.  I agree that for the whole, the winter cold was variable, but from early-January to mid February, it was really cold in spite of a few spikes of warmth, no?

We had a lot of really cold mornings in January in particular despite the variance noted. I agree it is not a standout winter when it comes to averages.. but there are parts of it that were impressive.  We also got screwed with midnight highs on a number of occasions where the day ended up in the 20s or lower and windy.  I'm sure that's happened in other years as well so not necessarily something to get too hung up on. 

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter which way you slice it, this winter was a real winter. Second snowiest since I bought my house in Rockville and cold enough to remember for a while

This winter will be referred to in the future as a benchmark for rating future winters. 8/10

Coming off such **** winters definitely helps its appearance IMO. At the same time any winter that isn't above average temps with less than 10" of snow in DC is a good one. A KU puts it over the top.. Second best winter for me here since 06. ;)

Coming off such **** winters definitely helps its appearance IMO. At the same time any winter that isn't above average temps with less than 10" of snow in DC is a good one. A KU puts it over the top.. Second best winter for me here since 06. ;)

I prefer a more complete season vs blockbuster snow with boring time in between. I moved back here from CO in spring of 99. Top 3 winters since are 02-03, 09-10, 13-14. I was in Germantown in 02-03. That was a heck of a great year up that way. I loved it.

We had a lot of really cold mornings in January in particular despite the variance noted. I agree it is not a standout winter when it comes to averages.. but there are parts of it that were impressive.  We also got screwed with midnight highs on a number of occasions where the day ended up in the 20s or lower and windy.  I'm sure that's happened in other years as well so not necessarily something to get too hung up on. 

it was impressive, and I agree stats dont tell the whole story....unless this week overperforms, it will probably finish 12 coldest out of last 30 winters.....we hit 50 degrees, 33 times...to me the truly cold ones are relentless....this winter there was pretty much relief around the corner every time it got cold....December 2010 was impressive, but January 2009, when I was sitting with you and Jamie at inauguration, even I was ready to give up at that point, and was begging for a 1-2 day warm spike...which we ended up not getting for another 12 days...That was a brutal month....and had the big cold shot too....

No matter which way you slice it, this winter was a real winter. Second snowiest since I bought my house in Rockville and cold enough to remember for a while

This winter will be referred to in the future as a benchmark for rating future winters. 8/10

hopefully next winter we actually get a cold winter and this winter is just the beginning of a 60s type stretch....If we can get 2002-03 cold with the same or slightly more snow than this one, we will laugh at this winter, save the 2 very impressive cold shots...I think 2011-13 traumatized us in ways we will never recover from..lets get a stretch like Dec-Jan 2010-11 where we hit 50 degrees, 5 times, and we will return to form and kind of snap to and realize how much worse it is when there is no relief....I welcomed these cold shots this year...I thought they were awesome...by January 31st 2009, I was ready to move to Guantanamo...

hopefully next winter we actually get a cold winter and this winter is just the beginning of a 60s type stretch....If we can get 2002-03 cold with the same or slightly more snow than this one, we will laugh at this winter, save the 2 very impressive cold shots...I think 2011-13 traumatized us in ways we will never recover from..lets get a stretch like Dec-Jan 2010-11 where we hit 50 degrees, 5 times, and we will return to form and kind of snap to and realize how much worse it is when there is no relief....I welcomed these cold shots this year...I thought they were awesome...by January 31st 2009, I was ready to move to Guantanamo...

I've been traumatized since the boxing day debacle. Dec 10 - Jan 11 was pretty cold with a solid -ao but when it finally snowed....drip drip drip.

I'm sure we'll discuss next winter at length for the next 6+ months but in short I do agree that we may have turned at lw pattern corner. Very speculative of course. I think it started last spring and the summer arctic ice bump is part of it.

Could be a one and done and back to crap but Eurasia had an overall string of crushing winters in the last 10 years or so (at our expense). It should even out going forward. At least I think and hope it will.

Still close to 10" of snowpack at my cousin's place in Parkton.

None IMBY except for piles.

That seems pretty high unless it's in a shaded or wooded location. We still have decent snowcover here even in south facing areas but not a 10 inch snowpack. It's more like 6-8 in the shade and 2-4 in exposed areas with a lot of grass showing on the edges. Snow piles are about 1/4th what they were several days ago.

I've been traumatized since the boxing day debacle. Dec 10 - Jan 11 was pretty cold with a solid -ao but when it finally snowed....drip drip drip.

I'm sure we'll discuss next winter at length for the next 6+ months but in short I do agree that we may have turned at lw pattern corner. Very speculative of course. I think it started last spring and the summer arctic ice bump is part of it.

Could be a one and done and back to crap but Eurasia had an overall string of crushing winters in the last 10 years or so (at our expense). It should even out going forward. At least I think and hope it will.

idk if you checked lately Bob, but arctic ice is, or has been for some time now, at or near record LOW levels

http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

idk if you checked lately Bob, but arctic ice is, or has been for some time now, at or near record LOW levels

http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

Summer 13 was the most anomalous bump year in summer yoy min since 95-96. I'm not implying in any way that the arctic is recovering . Just that long wave patterns in the nh had a marked change from recent years. Simply a clue that patterns changed for whatever reason.

Look at the graph wirh 2013 data. The one you posted doesn't include it.

95-96 was a one and done bump. This summer will decide if 12-13 is one and done. If it isn't then another clue towards a potentially new regime starts gaining more confidence. I have more questions than answers

Saturday Feb 22, Sunday Feb 23 2014

I went out of town with some friends on Saturday. I still had some snow on my north lawn. I never got to see the Leninskaya Slope snows (Minnieville and Darbydale), the Glendale Slope remnant snows (north facing lawns there) or the Delaney Valley snowpack (the low protected area behind the Rec Center which is bordered by Delaney Road).

Some friends of mine took me up to the Greenbelt MD/Odenton MD region, mainly to see some of the remnant snows up there. There they had 2-3 inches on the north sides of hills and on the north side of any sunlight blocking object. I was happy to see it. It topped out at 64 in Dale City on Saturday but in Odenton MD it was only 59. Looks like they got 15-16 inches up there 10 days ago while we in Woodbridge only got 12. Saturday night Dale City only managed to fall to 41. Sunday Dale City topped out again at 66. Tonight, Sunday night overnight we will get more rain of course.

I wish I could have visited Westminster. I'd have loved to see their snowpack.

I got back into Dale City today at 148pm. I had a very small area of snow left on my north lawn just made it til 4pm. I also spotted a few small areas of areal snow (NOT piles made by people shoveling or by plows) in and around Dale City on my way home today.

I will increment my snow cover days by two more days. This heatwave has been absolutely catastrophic for the snow here. The only areal snow left here may be in some north facing lawns and definitely down in Delaney Valley. There are still snow piles left in the shopping center parking lots and at Potomac Mills, particularly on the southwestern Outer Rim where there were some pretty tall piles of snow a week ago.

Of course we have a good chance of rain tonight. That damned brown grass looks so drab and depressing.

Now that the snow is mostly gone, of course it will get cold. Meh

Monday February 24 2014

Today I got my first look at the remaining areal snow since Friday afternoon.

I have no snow on my north lawn. The only places that have any remaining areal snow are a few north lawns such as those along the Glendale Slope. There are patches of 1 inch deep snow on the north facing lawns on Glendale Rd.

Next, I checked out the Leninskaya Slope (the area to the south of the Minnieville Rd/Darbydale Ave intersection in Dale City) and saw only one very small patch of snow near a hedge.

Then I pulled into the Rec Center parking lot and went around back. I took the stairs down to the Delaney Valley and saw a snowfield with an inch of snow on it! This is located on a slope that faces west-northwest. The ground here was frozen. The entire slope was still covered with an inch of snow, some of which was frozen despite the high temperature of 47.

Not bad after 6-7 days of 50s and 60s with a day of 70 degrees.

In spite of all the remaining snow on the Delaney Valley, I will not increment my 'days of snow cover' counter by another day. It will remain at 38 days as of Feb 24 2014.

The plowed piles are about 50 percent of what they were just after the Feb 13 snow ended but they are still going strong. There are even a couple plowed snowpiles that date back to the Jan 21 snow!

Tuesday February 25 2014

We had a forecast for a 40 percent chance of flurries.

Well I worked hard on studying media platforms then went to bed at 6am, 100 percent sure we would get a stray flurry. Then my damn tooth decided to go ballistic which kept me up til 9am. I saw a few flurries but dismissed them. After the tooth pain subsided I went to sleep. I woke up around noon, looked outside.

What the hell........

Four inches of fluffy wet snow had fallen! It had not been forecasted. HUGE wet flakes were swirling around outside.

I looked at my snow stake. We had four inches of snow. Soon the snow stopped but snow showers continued to move over us all afternoon. The snow compacted to about 2 inches which is expected. That sun melted some of it but it held well on the north sides of hills and houses. The high was 36. The low was 25.

I could hardly wait to get a look at all the usual places I track areal snow cover. The roads were wet.

First I looked at the Glendale Slope. This is a part of Glendale Road where houses face north. Their front yards had 2 inches of fresh snow. Even the Glendale Valley sidewalk had snow on it again! Next, I noted the new snow on old plowed snow piles at the store.

Then I drove down Minnieville Road to the Darbydale intersection, this is the area I call the Leninskaya Slope. The entire Leninskaya region was white with fresh snow! Then I checked out the area behind the Rec Center, Delaney Valley. Well, there was a lot of snow coverage down there! The snow was 2 inches deep on the west-northwest slope there, and three inches deep where there had been an inch of old snow yesterday.

There was even snow still on some trees! This definitely qualifies as a snow cover day. Now I have 28.5 inches of snow on the season which is well over climo for the fall line. Normal climo is about 20 inches a season. We have about 35 percent areal coverage.

Some strange plume-like cirrus clouds off the SE coast today. Time sensitive. Anyone have ideas for what these are/how they are forming?

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?vis1km_east_full+12

Definitely these guys...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Frequency_Active_Auroral_Research_Program#Conspiracy_theories

Saw a pretty stunning meteor come down @ 7:10 while driving on Randolph Rd heading West. Bright green ball screamed down with a vapor trail and then looked like it desintegrated very close to the ground (unless it was really far away). Quite intense and stunning to witness. Any other reports?

Quite a few on Twitter. I'm bummed as I was out walking the dog but didn't see it.

Archived