Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Feb '14 Obs and Discussion

nj2va

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw a pretty stunning meteor come down @ 7:10 while driving on Randolph Rd heading West. Bright green ball screamed down with a vapor trail and then looked like it desintegrated very close to the ground (unless it was really far away). Quite intense and stunning to witness. Any other reports?

Damn...I was outside at 7:05 and went in. 

It happened so fast that I don't want to over dramatize it but to me it was quite brilliant. My brain could be playing tricks on me. Are the reports you're see similar or am I just being a meteor weenie?

No they all sound similar. Not a huge number of reports so far but all say it was very bright etc.

13 degrees with a dewpoint of -2 as I write this summary about todays snow cover.

Thursday February 27 2014

Today we topped out at 41 degrees with a 9 degree dewpoint. The sun lasered more exposed snow cover. The snow on the north sides of sun-blocking objects was just fine. We have about 20 percent areal snow coverage. Generally, the snow on north slopes and on the north sides of houses is about 1-3 inches deep. I still have snow on my north lawn, which is about an inch deep.

Glendale Slope's north facing front lawns still have snow on them which looks to be about 2-3 inches deep. The sidewalk in Glendale Valley (over the creek) still has snow on it which is about an inch deep.

Leninskaya Slope (which can be seen at the intersection of Dale Blvd and Minnieville Rd) has a lot of snow on it, about 1-3 inches deep.

Delaney Valley behind the Rec Center has expansive snow coverage. There the snow is 3 inches deep and very powdery. There is 2 inches of powder immediately to the wet of the Rec Center building.

This meets snow coverage criteria for another day, which brings us to 41 days of snow cover this season.

Tomorrow will be likewise, the highs will only be in the mid 20s. Tonight will dip to at least 13, if not 10 or below.

Nice pictures mattie and north arlington.

Friday February 28 and Saturday March 1 2014

On Friday we had highs in the upper 20s with dews near -3. These conditions supported the existing residual snow cover in Dale City. The leftover snow cover on the Glendale Valley sidewalk, the snow on the Glendale Slope's north facing lawns, were unchanged. The Glendale Valley snow on the sidewalk was still an inch deep. The snow on the north facing lawns was still about 2-3 inches deep. Leninskaya Slope still had plenty of snow cover which was about 1 to 3 inches deep. The remaining snow cover in Delaney Valley was still extensive and about three inches deep. This is an excellent example of what a arctic airmass can do for snowpack, preserving it as long as the cold air is in place. I still had 1-2 inches of snow on my north lawn.

Friday night we dipped to 13 degrees in Dale City. Now thats what I call a hard freeze.

Saturday March 1 was milder. In spite of a low of 13, we still managed to top out at 48. This did melt some of the remaining snow in Dale City.  I lost  some of the snow cover on my north lawn but I still have an area of 1 inch of snow. Glendale Slope yards lost some areal coverage but they still have 1-2 inches. The Glendale Valley sidewalk now has no snow. Leninskaya Slope has lost areal coverage but still looks great with an estimated 1-2 inches of snow depth. Delaney Valley has lost some areal coverage too but still has about 2 inches of snow depth.

It remains to be seen what tomorrow's highs in the mid/upper 50s will do to the remaining snow cover. I am sure we will lose most of the leftover areal snow but that there is a chance that some of the Delaney Valley snow might survive to Sunday night/Monday morning's snow. Saturday we lost some areal coverage which brings us to an estimated 5-10 percent areal coverage of snow. This meets the criteria for another couple of days being added to the snow cover counter in my sig lol.

Monday should be interesting. I will be in and out of the boards - I have an abscessed cuspid that is blasting me with incredible amounts of throbbing pain. No painkillers seem to help much. I will be getting it extracted on Monday morning in the middle of the snowstorm lol. It hurts so much that I have not slept since Thursday night and just writing this article required tremendous amounts of willpower. The intense pain just sweeps aside all thought. All I want is for the pain to end lol.

Everyone enjoy the snow Monday. Take a few jebwalks for 'ole Jeb.

Archived