Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb '14 Obs and Discussion

nj2va

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High of 68 IMBY. Water rolling down all the streets from all the snow melt.

I drove down to Smith Mt. lake today. Left here in heavy freezing rain, and when I arrived there, I almost dropped from the heat, lol.

I did go up to the Jefferson National Forest off the Parkway, and it was much more tolerable there. The road through was only open as far as the ranger station. After that it was barricaded, as the snow hadn't yet been cleared.

Dipped down into the 20s up your way, right? I am guessing a lot of that melting yesterday re-froze overnight on the roadways. Treacherous in spots, I would guess.

Oh yeah, but even on 83 there were icy patches --- couple cars went into the jersey wall near Northern Parkway, ponding from yesterdays rain plus snow melt caused an on-ramp to be a sheet of ice.

But yes, lots of melting up my way, then refreezing. Was 28 when I left the house.

Biggest difference I've seen between my station and the one a couple of blocks away. I was 42 at about 7:30am while they were 33. The sidewalks were wet at my house, and I almost bit it the next street over on some ice.

Last night was the first night that Clarksburg did not have refreezing in the overnight hours since the "torch" started. Bottomed out at 40F.

State of the snowpack: holding strong heading into today's storms. I measured in 5 places and have an average of 6.5" left. Not bad for leading into the 4th day of the warmup.

post-109-0-61628700-1392990356_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-25038600-1392990399_thumb.jpg

Archived