Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb '14 Obs and Discussion

nj2va

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is more banter, but ties into the warmer weather this week......only 30 days before the cherry blossom festival begins. 

Anyone know of a good time to get pics down there without the masses? Aside from butt early on the weekends, early AM during the work week??

The only time I've seen it remotely quiet down there is around sunrise.  I'm not sure even early in the day on a work week would be quiet but perhaps less busy than evening. 

This is more banter, but ties into the warmer weather this week......only 30 days before the cherry blossom festival begins. 

Anyone know of a good time to get pics down there without the masses? Aside from butt early on the weekends, early AM during the work week??

My parents are coming down for it this year and I plan on taking them very early in the morning on Saturday.  When I used to work downtown, I walked there during the workday at lunch and it was packed.  Early AM weekday is probably better than early AM weekend.

Got up to 58 today.  Most south facing areas are completely snowless.  Areas in the shade all day still have solid snowpack and it was considerably cooler walking the dogs next to a completely snowpack'd hill versus the other areas.  Mud everywhere..yuck.

The forecast high today was 49. Give a warm airmass an inch, she'll take a mile. I am not surprised we topped out at 59 today. That raging sun was just like Alexander the Great in his day: ravaging, savaging, taking over all comers, both asiatic and european. We lost fully 2-3 inches off our meager snowpack from the strong February sun. South facing slopes are bare. Oblique facing slopes and north facing areas have good snowpack on them - for now. We have deteriorated to 85 to 90 percent areal snow coverage as of 545pm. The temps are falling slowly - thru the upper 50s lmao.

Tomorrow will be worse: The sun will take its toll on snowpack. Forecast highs are 55 tomorrow. Tack on another 7 to 10 degrees for your high: 62 to 65. We will witness a DRASTIC reduction in snowpack areal coverage by this time tomorrow.

I took some readings around the area today. North slopes tend to have 6 to 9 inches of snow on them, overlying a COLD FROZEN ground. The average snow depth is currently about 4 inches. Many south facing lawns are bare.

I definitely do NOT like this week - not one little bit. We will have one hell of a TOUGH, TOUGH time getting down to 32 degrees tonight.

Meanwhile in other news, Westminster MD enjoyed another crisp winters day at 32 degrees. The snowpack there is pristine and fluffy, 100 percent areal coverage with up to 33 inches in places.

My parents are coming down for it this year and I plan on taking them very early in the morning on Saturday. When I used to work downtown, I walked there during the workday at lunch and it was packed. Early AM weekday is probably better than early AM weekend.

Got up to 58 today. Most south facing areas are completely snowless. Areas in the shade all day still have solid snowpack and it was considerably cooler walking the dogs next to a completely snowpack'd hill versus the other areas. Mud everywhere..yuck.

How much snow did you get again?

The only time I've seen it remotely quiet down there is around sunrise.  I'm not sure even early in the day on a work week would be quiet but perhaps less busy than evening.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably stick with early am weekend and just plan to head out pre dawn weather permitting.

Archived