12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 21 Obs thread II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolute awesomesauce... if the neighbors didn't think I was nuts before, they're sure of it now.  Just went for a 20 min Jebwalk and it was glorious.  Its frigid, windy and blowing snow everywhere.  Had several neighbors that were shoveling/walking their dog/just getting home ask me what I was doing walking around in the snow at night... lol...

I did notice that the streets in my neighborhood are a perfect sheet of ice under the snow.  Just walking slowly I slipped several times and nearly fell once.

When I last measured I found no spot here with 5 but its difficult to get an accurate measurement with this snow and all the trees around this area. I'll wait and see what the trained spotter in Severn comes in with.

I'm not even trying to measure this one with the amount blowing around.  My composter is up against a fence though and from the window here it looks like at least 5.

Capital Weather Gang @capitalweather 18m

Reagan National had 3.3" of snow as of 8:15p according to airport observer.

Seems about right, probably about 4+ inches here in Old Town.

Could be up to 5 I guess...

Despite all the whining about National, the last time I really had a problem with one of their measurements was the first blizzard of Feb 2010. Otherwise, I'm usually very close.

Probably one of my most difficult measurements I have made, but I'm going with 4.7" imby.

I never sweep and I swept twice..just to get a gauge on what was going on...still measured in a million places to get the best idea....not an easy storm by any means...

Drive-in totals for my location in Silver Spring (near Rock Creek Park, about a mile west of the downtown area) is 6.0".  The bands in the late afternoon and evening really helped.  Nice event, along with brisk winds, and the snow is powdery.  Been a long time since we had a snow like that (even including Commutageddon)!  It was a bit difficult to measure due to blowing around, I got some totals a bit under 6", and a few pushing 6.5" or so, so I think an even 6.0 is fair.  Still some light snow flying around, but probably won't add much to the total before it ends.

Archived