joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up in Foxboro and my brother still lives there. In 78 we were destroyed and for a while it seemed we got nailed pretty good.

I will call him later to see how they do

I feel if we measured the way we do now in 1978 what Harv and Don Kent showed as a 40-50" storm there would be 5' or more. You were there, you know what I'm talking about as we got pounded hour after hour with ocean banding. #1 we didnt have power off and on for a lot of the storm so people weren't running around to measure, and #2 for the most part we just measured randomly at the end of the storm...OTG. I remember our entire street- the mailboxes were completely covered end to end. Cars were not even humps in the snow, they were just gone. I remember we had to dig to even find the cars, it was like being on the moon. I know we measure the right/technical way now, but particularly back then most just measured what had recently falled/was OTG. I'm talking mailboxes shoveled out etc, not snowbanks. The 1978/1888 storms are one type where they last, the 4/1/97, this one, the true snow bombs I think are actually a little more fun.

For us coastal people on the warm side of the front it makes a difference. :(

Particularly painful because that 10-15 mile north jog the storm took before rotating e then NE...screwed all of SE MA to an extent.

I think it worked out overall for you. I think you can crack 12". The big qpf max happened near and just south of BOS, but I think some of it may have been a mix, or just water logged flakes. That snowpack ain't going to go anywhere fast.

This stuff was just as dense as the Boxing Day Snowstorm.

Finally achieved +SN! :arrowhead:

SPECI KTAN 121812Z AUTO 27013G22KT 1/4SM +SN FZFG BKN011 OVC018 M03/M04 A2924 RMK AO2 P0000

I feel if we measured the way we do now in 1978 what Harv and Don Kent showed as a 40-50" storm there would be 5' or more. You were there, you know what I'm talking about as we got pounded hour after hour with ocean banding. #1 we didnt have power off and on for a lot of the storm so people weren't running around to measure, and #2 for the most part we just measured randomly at the end of the storm...OTG. I remember our entire street- the mailboxes were completely covered end to end. Cars were not even humps in the snow, they were just gone. I remember we had to dig to even find the cars, it was like being on the moon. I know we measure the right/technical way now, but particularly back then most just measured what had recently falled/was OTG. I'm talking mailboxes shoveled out etc, not snowbanks. The 1978/1888 storms are one type where they last, the 4/1/97, this one, the true snow bombs I think are actually a little more fun.

Particularly painful because that 10-15 mile north jog the storm took before rotating e then NE...screwed all of SE MA to an extent.

No...max in 1978 was like 38"....prob would have been like 45" by today's standards.

No one had over 40" in that storm by those standards.

It was really ripping between 1 and 6 am. Thats where i got most of my snow...as well as 3 thundersnow occurrences.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't 1/4m vis stuff here. I only got down to 1/2m a couple times in that span. The lower levels I think were just a hair too warm. I was also at 32-34F overnight.

No...max in 1978 was like 38"....prob would have been like 45" by today's standards.

No one had over 40" in that storm by those standards.

don't buy it.. weenies have more coverage these days. if i was alive back in 78' i would have made my way to either diamond hill or burriville or such and such and gotten a measurement from N RI i believe they were surely over 40" there but probably no body sent in a official report. messenger may know.

BTW i'm impressed with the "back lash" here its snowing at a good clip here still.

don't buy it.. weenies have more coverage these days. if i was alive back in 78' i would have made my way to either diamond hill or burriville or such and such and gotten a measurement from N RI i believe they were surely over 40" there but probably no body sent in a official report. messenger may know.

BTW i'm impressed with the "back lash" here its snowing at a good clip here still.

Based on what....your OPINION.....subjective, not fact.

Archived