Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cape took it on the chin.

Yep but I'll say I'm happy Scott. I measured 4.0 to 4.5 OTG just after 7. It changed over and poured after about 445. There was a lot more snow OTG at 445 than at 7 when I was looking out the window as the thundersnow changed to thundersleet then rain. I think the reason so many measurements are light in SE MA on this side of the bridge is that we had a lot of melting/compaction before people measured. There was a very sharp cutoff right over the bridge it appears. Not to be a slant sticker but I think in the 2-3 hours it took me to measure we lost an inch or so here with the rain and temps. There was plenty to plow, and overall I'm happy.

In the end I think the GFS temp profiles were better here either by luck or by good modeling. The NAM and a lot of the higher res stuff blew it...although I will say the MM5 did a decent job indicating some frozen probability issues.

The ARW/NMM were pretty brutal IMO on temps.

NOAA is NOT having a good week on the Cape. People are kind of pissed off to say the least, businesses were closed, schools closed etc etc....2nd time in a week we went from big snows to not much on the cape itself.

:thumbsup: very exciting to have one that pretty much everyone can come together on! Haven't had a classic like this in a while.

I don't remember 1/2005 exactly...cannot remember if we got tsnow in that one. If we did it's been 6 years, if we didn't it's the first time I've had tsnow since I moved from teh snow belt up by foxboro.

When the house shakes waking up everyone at 430 am with blinding snow, that's just awesome. When it shakes again at 5 and it's sleet not as cool but unreal. I could hear the thunder as it rolled away, so it went on for awhile. Saw new bedford reported a thunderstorm at 4

temp 29 or so, I'm picking up another 1" right now maybe 2, I'll make 6" which is about what I expected - low end, but that's life on the ocean.

I feel bad for the real cape, they got porked bad.

I am on the attleboro/north attleboro border and have 11...and that may even be a tad generous.

ok... what doesn' t make sense is that you said you only had 1 inch between 7 and 10 am (approximately) looping the radar at those times it appears evident you got screwed over....but someone within a couple miles certainly could have gotten over an inch an hour snows in that time. i mean per radar returns ......it looked clear that someone over plainville/ mansfield and extreme N. attelboro was getting hit hard ...that's all. doesn't seem unreasonable.

I certainly have to be oh so close to 20'' if I'm not there already, it's been snowing enough to where I've had to have some accumulation since I last checked when I had 19''....only issue now is everyone is out snowblowing so I have to find a spot I can check to measure since I can't do so in my yard.

I certainly have to be oh so close to 20'' if I'm not there already, it's been snowing enough to where I've had to have some accumulation since I last checked when I had 19''....only issue now is everyone is out snowblowing so I have to find a spot I can check to measure since I can't do so in my yard.

Yeah, I'm guessing about 20" or so back home. DOT garage had 20.3" at 11 a.m. in Farmington and normally I'm extremely close to them.

ok... what doesn' t make sense is that you said you only had 1 inch between 7 and 10 am (approximately) looping the radar at those times it appears evident you got screwed over....but someone within a couple miles certainly could have gotten over an inch an hour snows in that time. i mean per radar returns ......it looked clear that someone over plainville/ mansfield and extreme N. attelboro was getting hit hard ...that's all. doesn't seem unreasonable.

i was in the 30-40 dbz stuff just like those places were. I posted about it...it wasnt nearly as good as the radar was showing...just big water loaded flakes.

I'll have photos from that area in a little bit. Power is still down, phone lines are down, it's ugly. Lots of tree damage again. They took a beating up in north easton over to sharon, stoughton, along and west of bay road into the hills by moose hill in sharon.

They got 12-15".

Archived