joxey
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Location of the low FTW on this image.

Can see how the euro blew the track.

If you follow it through the low tracked NNW N NNE NE right up to block island-ish where it then turned and ran just to my south - it ran right up the canal...i mean literally it went right over the canal pretty cool. But then it resumed the more NE track and if you look at the models - is about where they forecast it to be (Euro etc)...they just missed the hook last night.

SN+ here, not showing great on radar but it's snowing like a bastard

I don't remember 1/2005 exactly...cannot remember if we got tsnow in that one. If we did it's been 6 years, if we didn't it's the first time I've had tsnow since I moved from teh snow belt up by foxboro.

When the house shakes waking up everyone at 430 am with blinding snow, that's just awesome. When it shakes again at 5 and it's sleet not as cool but unreal. I could hear the thunder as it rolled away, so it went on for awhile. Saw new bedford reported a thunderstorm at 4

temp 29 or so, I'm picking up another 1" right now maybe 2, I'll make 6" which is about what I expected - low end, but that's life on the ocean.

I feel bad for the real cape, they got porked bad.

That's the one thing I've been missing ... I've seen experienced thundersnow in my life :(

someone asked earlier for results from Fall river /new bedford area

I am in portsmouth RI , couple of mile south of FR and west of NB. We dry slotted/mixed from 4;30-9:30, had 4-5 " of pancake mix prior to

been back in it with mod/heavy bands since 9:30 - maybe an addditional 1-2"

letting up now vis @ 2+

Scott, from previous now locked thread: "Yeah it could be more fun down the road. That hasn't received much attention, thanks to this storm..but could be a snow or ice scenario/ "

...I realize there is a thread for pattern beyond, but to get some attention:

In about 24 to 36 hours we will relay a couple of closely spaced impulses onto the west coast of N/A; at that/this time we have a rising PNA. That could be interesting here in the east in a week. The deterministic ECM did at one time have another major ec system, but has since muted that...The GFS has been hinting. The deep south and southeast are showing a relaxed geopotential gradient, with somewhat wider isoplethic spacing and lower mid level balance wind field... less than 40 kts. That rising PNA and the relaxed deep south offers room for amplitude in the 35 N parallel toward the middle of next week. This I feel will be something to watch over the days to come. I figure it abotu 50/50 that we end up with more amplitude here in the east about a week from today.

One interesting aspect about recent GFS runs is that -EPO handling... In this run, the last gift it delivers the middle latitudes upon its demise is the delivery of a very powerful SPV from Siberia ...all the way into soouthern Canada. It would be something if that southwest trough were to be ejected out just before that SPV came to south to 50 or so N because geuss what if that happens?!

I measured about 14.5" here...that was at about 10...I imagine had I made a 6hr measurement in the middle of the night the total would've been more like 16". Shame we had that dryslot move through for a couple hours overnight...otherwise would've approached 20" probably. Of course the 14.5" is plenty for me for shoveling purposes.

It's actually gettting worse right now, as winds pick up trees are snapping and lines are going down. I'm told part of the problem is it's not just main lines, it's tons of house connections too. Going to be ugly there for awhile. Very bad for the people in those areas.

Check out the map, lighting up with 5k block outages again.

If you loop the radar you can see the area with the most intense echoes was NE of KTAN...right in that stripe where power went down....like Mike said def heavy wet snow, but just to the west it wasn't quite as wet, and it was nasty.

I miss living around there, they always do so well even with this type of track.

yes i used to envy those areas when i grew up in raynham.....and i grew up in raynham about a mile from the easton line.....so it could have been worse. but the areas 3 miles to the NNW of me and NW and even WNW even consisently did a good 20% better with totals on alot of coastals. it seems they were either on the other side of the CF for a good deal of time.....or they were on the other side of the R/S line. the weather In N and NW easton is so much nicer for winter weather lovers then it is for people in Raynham (esp the se side of town) and taunton as well. i would guess there is a annual 10 inch snow difference from the SE side of raynham to the NW 1/2 of easton.

OT ....the town of palmer, and adjacent areas in mass....... ENE of springfield has been getting buried for the last couple hours in the best of that rotting deform band. nice local lollie there.

That's the one thing I've been missing ... I've seen experienced thundersnow in my life :(

I remember a couple of episodes in my life. The Hagler/someone fight in Worcester in the 80s....that night we had thundersnow. 4/1/97 produced a lot of tsnow in that same area. 1/2005 I dont remember...lyme...I mean I remember the storm but not the details. And last night. That's why I'm not bitching, major snows near/on the cape are rare. It's a shame, looking at radar it was only about a 10-20 mile jog north...if it had

---

They are telling people days not hours. Every time I refresh the number of outages grows. It's bad, bad news.

http://www1.national...ic/stormcenter/

Another 7k just went offline in Brockton.

Archived