• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

:lol: All in good fun; that's how we roll in these threads.

You going to the conference.....it's right in your hood....

Not sure when is it?, my lovely wife as nice as she is usually is not to keen on me going. She already thinks i am insane with my snow obsession. Between that and sports i basically do not talk to her from December until March :thumbsup: .

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure when is it?, my lovely wife as nice as she is usually is not to keen on me going. She already thinks i am insane with my snow obsession. Between that and sports i basically do not talk to her from December until March :thumbsup: .

July sometime....check the thread.....you can just stop by for a day, since it's in your hood, but be forewarned.....you will want to stay and rip it up with the sne crew.

How much of it had melted in those intervening 10 days? Wasn't there a torch?

Not much melted. As I recall we got almost 20" and about a week later the 78 storm hit. I remember shoveling the driveway and having to toss the snow above my head to clear a path. Massive drifts. 4 days before our street got plowed. The best part may have been the spontaneous blizzard party 4 days after the storm. People started dropping in, some I knew and some I didn't but we all shared the moment, a few drinks some still there in the morning. Good times.

-Ursa

My apologies, Scott....I'll defer.

no need my friend...it's a shame we've lost some of the history with that storm. Things were different back then as you remember...TV as the end all be all. I remember when Bob Copeland and Mark Rosenthal had a phone line you could call in Brockton to get the weather...they'd leave it on an answering machine!

It sucks that as forecasters left (Bruce Showegler, Todd Gross, etc) and as others moved around we lost a lot of the data. WHDH had the best collection and it went poof when Harv left and then Todd. Sucks!

I still have to digitize the videos from back then. Some of photos you see do it justice but many don't. 4/1/97 was awesome I imagine a lot like this one in CT, a snow bomb. But the snow wasn't tough really to handle. Jan 2005...that was a bugger with the drifts up to 10+ feet. But there was just something about 78.....maybe it was lower ratio snow i don't know, but plows couldn't move it, walking through it was a bear..etc.

This storm although way shorter - so it will have lower totals is pretty damn impressive. When you think about the geographic area that will have 10-30" of snow, it's one for the ages. For me...to see Maine and NH getting in on it too, especially if someone in maine touches/exceeds 20...damned impressive.

I think we "think" we could handle another 78. I'm thinking if we have a blanket of waist deep or better snow we'll be just as bad off as NYC was a week or two ago, DC etc last year.

don't be so quick to acquiesce

according to the NWS only credited woonsocket with 38" even though reported 54" , so both right

http://www.erh.noaa....files/frame.htm

This is true, but I'll defer to him since he lived through it and I didn't.

I agree with you, but MO isn't worth much in this instance.

come south about 10 miles up to 22 here not much falling but a great storm! Ill gladly take the screw zone now who cares we all already got a ton of snow!!!:thumbsup:

We are in the screw zone right now in Greater Springfield...light snow with heavy bands to our west and especially east. Would be nice if we could get 2" more to get to 20"...

Not much melted. As I recall we got almost 20" and about a week later the 78 storm hit. I remember shoveling the driveway and having to toss the snow above my head to clear a path. Massive drifts. 4 days before our street got plowed. The best part may have been the spontaneous blizzard party 4 days after the storm. People started dropping in, some I knew and some I didn't but we all shared the moment, a few drinks some still there in the morning. Good times.

-Ursa

don't be so quick to acquiesce

according to the NWS only credited woonsocket with 38" even though reported 54" , so both right

If NOAA held reports to the same standards today that they did in 1978.... that was the entire point sunshine.

There's a much greater network now. I don't know a single person that submitted reports to NOAA in 1978. It was all by phone to the tv stations, or to reporters from papers that submitted to the tv stations.

We see the banding a lot better now.

40-50" fell in a pretty good stripe, 55" not sure but wouldnt doubt it.

no need my friend...it's a shame we've lost some of the history with that storm. Things were different back then as you remember...TV as the end all be all. I remember when Bob Copeland and Mark Rosenthal had a phone line you could call in Brockton to get the weather...they'd leave it on an answering machine!

It sucks that as forecasters left (Bruce Showegler, Todd Gross, etc) and as others moved around we lost a lot of the data. WHDH had the best collection and it went poof when Harv left and then Todd. Sucks!

I still have to digitize the videos from back then. Some of photos you see do it justice but many don't. 4/1/97 was awesome I imagine a lot like this one in CT, a snow bomb. But the snow wasn't tough really to handle. Jan 2005...that was a bugger with the drifts up to 10+ feet. But there was just something about 78.....maybe it was lower ratio snow i don't know, but plows couldn't move it, walking through it was a bear..etc.

This storm although way shorter - so it will have lower totals is pretty damn impressive. When you think about the geographic area that will have 10-30" of snow, it's one for the ages. For me...to see Maine and NH getting in on it too, especially if someone in maine touches/exceeds 20...damned impressive.

I think we "think" we could handle another 78. I'm thinking if we have a blanket of waist deep or better snow we'll be just as bad off as NYC was a week or two ago, DC etc last year.

GM 1986 ALCS....Henderson homer....I've thrown that quote out. lol

This system has been a privelage to share with you folks.

BTW.......ding, dong the FU slit is dead.

S

I can't remember how much of the Jan storm melted. I was only 7 at the time. But I remember going through the old photos with my folks many years later and them telling me there was still snow from a prevuious storm. Not sure it was relegated to piles from plowing/shoveling, but needless to say the pile of snow in my front yard plied by my dad neared 10'. We would sled down it.

Please note: Plymouth and Bristol Counties are the hardest hit areas and are experiencing significant storm-related outages. We are working to complete damage assessments so that we can provide estimated restoration times (ETRs). We hope to have ETRs available by 2:00 pm today. We appreciate your patience as we work to restore power

It's a main line down among other things, apparently a big 300k+ volt is down in addition to wires everywhere. Should have photos later...guess it looks like snowmageddon up there.

These people may not have power for a few days, hopefully we dont pull a bloomberg on them.

Starting to come down pretty damn good again here. Looks like we are in that band that sat over N ORH county for the last few hours. Ray, how long you think we squeeze good rates out of this? 2-3 hours if another slot doesn't open up? Could pick up another 2-4 at this rate.

I think it's up in the air, bro.....depends on how much fills in, upstream...Just want 2" more to get us to 20".

Archived