• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Snowmageddon disco- III

stratuslove

It could have been better here...but im not gonna complain about 13" and several bouts of thundersnow. Im gonna have a pile of snow to go home to in maine tmrw...wouldnt be surprised if gray picks up 20.

I think in Gray they might be surprised that they picked up 20 ;) (as I work on inch number 22 here in Merrimack County)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be sweet, but i am sure you won't like this but i am rooting for the Jets because i really want a home game for the AFC championship game. If there is a game in Foxborough though i will try my hardest to be at that game.

I was at the pats-ravens playoff game last year. It was already 14-0 ravens before i sat in my seat early in the first Q!

I'm actually enjoying this shoveling, snow is incredibly light which is good. Took a break b/c my feet are frozen...got a decent part of the driveway done, I figure it will probably take a good 12-18 hours to shovel everything...unless the landlords bring over the snowblower like last time.

Been taking some pics too which I'll upload later, incredible snow drifts.

you need those extra heavy duty garbage bags on your feet

most of my work today was to be dealing with new england clients....since i cant do any of that, im off now as well :arrowhead:

you need those extra heavy duty garbage bags on your feet

most of my work today was to be dealing with new england clients....since i cant do any of that, im off now as well :arrowhead:

I need to invest in a pair of boots :lol:

That's the only thing that bothers me.

After cleaning the snow off my mom's car...which I had to stand on top of to do so, there is about 3' of snow in the driveway inbetween her car and the neighbors below us...should be done with the driveway totally sometime this evening...well I have to b/c my mom has to work in the AM and so do the people downstairs.

What's the lesson to be learned from this storm? A few days out with a storm modeled as strong as this one was never discount the NW trend...in fact expect it. If you live in extreme SE New England never get cocky a few days before an event like this because the reality is poor ratios, sleet, rain, and dryslots....and if you live in western MA, southern New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine don't give up.

GM 1986 ALCS....Henderson homer....I've thrown that quote out. lol

This system has been a privelage to share with you folks.

BTW.......ding, dong the FU slit is dead.

S

LOL, Ray read this....we got a lot of snow where I was...we didn't jackpot. These guys did in the hills just to my west.

“Our home in Burrillville had an artisan well and was heated by oil. Anticipating the need for alternative sources of water and heat, we were prepared to fire the coal stove and fill every container in the house with water. I believe we fell asleep watching the snow fall, it was beautiful,” Flanagan wrote. “The next morning the only part of the Scout which was visible was the radio antenna. In order to go outside, I needed to lower the top window in the bathroom and pull myself out by the gutters,” he recalled. I remember the Captain or one of the rescuers being interviewed on a RI station (the one that had the great guy that looked like yosemite sam...Art something or other) talking about saving the guy/wife/future baby...talking about snow covering the roofs of houses there.

http://www.projo.com...17.3482a96.html

Not sure if you've read this book...very good...some amazing stuff in there http://www.powells.c...n=9780738555195

I think what it comes down to is NOAA takes in a ton of reports now. So we have better coverage of storms, can pick up the finer banding when in 78...the network was really limited. I do think the way we measure now by the book will inflate totals vs the old days, but it does so uniformly...IE, its a better sampling for sure.

I can't remember how much of the Jan storm melted. I was only 7 at the time. But I remember going through the old photos with my folks many years later and them telling me there was still snow from a prevuious storm. Not sure it was relegated to piles from plowing/shoveling, but needless to say the pile of snow in my front yard plied by my dad neared 10'. We would sled down it.

I remember there being a few inches left, not a ton. I remember our neighbor trying to walk to the store to get food a day or two later and getting stuck in snow over his waist...36 hours after it'd stopped.

This storm all around - very pleased. It's been snowing all day here, we've picked up a few more inches and there's no doubt we broke 6"...it met the low end of my expectations. The Cape doesn't need snow, the ski resorts do....I'm happy.

WSW warnings extended into northern VT. Snowfall maps updated too with a bump in accumulations.

you know its funny....

6-10 inches 25 miles away and not a flake for me. it even snowed 6 inches in toronto before veering away. :lol:

normally i would be incredibly pissed, but i know mine is coming quite soon, its around the corner now.

What's the lesson to be learned from this storm? A few days out with a storm modeled as strong as this one was never discount the NW trend...in fact expect it. If you live in extreme SE New England never get cocky a few days before an event like this because the reality is poor ratios, sleet, rain, and dryslots....and if you live in western MA, southern New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine don't give up.

Well the strength I don't think has anything to do with a further NW track I think it's more about the negative tilt of the trough...when you see a trough as negatively tilted as this one was chances are the storm is going to end up on the west side of things, we saw this occur with the last blizzard as well and it occurred on November 15th I think it was...that was the event that produced that tornado in E NY at 5:18 AM as well as an EF1 and a 100mph macroburst in Baltimore.

Never fool around with insanely negative tilted troughs!

I need to invest in a pair of boots :lol:

That's the only thing that bothers me.

After cleaning the snow off my mom's car...which I had to stand on top of to do so, there is about 3' of snow in the driveway inbetween her car and the neighbors below us...should be done with the driveway totally sometime this evening...well I have to b/c my mom has to work in the AM and so do the people downstairs.

i dont understand why you dont have a snowblower for your building

you live in new england where heavy snowfalls are common and expected.

i dont understand why you dont have a snowblower for your building

you live in new england where heavy snowfalls are common and expected.

My mom, two brothers and I moved in together here two winter ago...prior to that I and one of my brothers lived with our aunt/grandparents and they had a snowblower and my mom and other brother lived with our sister...then we finally got an apartment and moved in together and were too poor to buy a snowblower :lol:

Probably will invest in one this summer.

That would be sweet, but i am sure you won't like this but i am rooting for the Jets because i really want a home game for the AFC championship game. If there is a game in Foxborough though i will try my hardest to be at that game.

I'll be sitting in the Fidelity Club Seats for Sunday's game against the Jets, actively working against your wishes. I was at the 45-3 game. This one won't be a blowout like that. Here's hoping for a bit of snow during the game.

My mom, two brothers and I moved in together here two winter ago...prior to that I and one of my brothers lived with our aunt/grandparents and they had a snowblower and my mom and other brother lived with our sister...then we finally got an apartment and moved in together and were too poor to buy a snowblower :lol:

no i figured your landlord would supply the building with a snowblower.....guess he is too cheap.:angry:

Just an incredible day!!!

Westport and Fairfield just crushed, secondary roads are a mess, main road are decent, I95 was down to one to two lanes very dangerous as there was no warning, but hardly a car on the road.

Got down to Norwalk, roads were down to the blacktop, measured 14 inches at one of my clients homes, Dad said Darien had around 13 and monster in laws had around 15 in Greenwich.

Have no idea how they will have school tom, no sidewalks plowed, no place to put the snow and many side roads have only been plowed once and are barely passable, rte 1 was fine.

Congrats to all just an amazing winter.

Differences as you headed sw on i95 towards nyc on I95 were pretty amazing.

You're young! I didn't get a snowblower till I was in my mid 40s, and I lived in houses with double driveways up to 150' long.

My driveway is now about 600' long... I have two walk behind snowblowers and a Kubota diesel tractor with a 50" snow blower.

Archived